Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Fish IN cycle help

Alright, I am one of those people that has to do a fish IN cycle, yes I know it's not recommended now but I have no choice and I've been dosing Prime every 24 hours.

I've been doing this the past 4 days, and every day before I add in Prime I check my water peramiters. I have been having 0 ammonia readings this whole time, and they poop a ton!!

What is going on? Why is it taking so long for anything to show up? Not even Nitrates are popping up in the slightest. 

Its at :

Ammoina 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Nitrates 0ppm

So I have literally nothing across the board and these poop babies have already been in here for 4 days now. 

Thoughts?

Welcome to Kokos!!!! Someone will be along to help you.

Welcome to Kokos, Shelby.  Let's get some basic info.

How big is the tank?

How many fish and how big?

What do you feed, how often, and how much?

Have you been changing water every day?  If so how much?

What do you use to test your water?

Please understand this:  If you read zero ammonia and zero nitrite, you haven't done anything wrong.  

Edited by shakaho

Welcome to Kokos!!!! Someone will be along to help you.

Thank you very much! :D

Welcome to Kokos, Shelby.  Let's get some basic info.

How big is the tank?

How many fish and how big?

What do you feed, how often, and how much?

Have you been changing water every day?  If so how much?

What do you use to test your water?

Please understand this:  If you read zero ammonia and zero nitrite, you haven't done anything wrong.  

Thank you for your reply!!

1. Tank is 29/30 gallons, its the Tetra LED Aquarium Kit that I got. 

2. They are two baby telescope goldfish, about 1.5 inches, 3.5 months old 

3. I feed a few different things, I have been feeding them solient green gel food, blood worms, NLS soaked pellets, 3 meals a day.

4. Not EVERY day just yet, I have only had them for 4 days now and I was waiting for SOMETHING to show up, but nothing did so I did a water change yesterday and today my tank still head the zero readings across the board but its a little cloudy now? I use a Python for my water changes attached to my shower. 

5. To test my water I use the API Master Test Kit

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!

4 days? You may not see nitrates for weeks. Be patient.

When you did that water change yesterday, how much water did you change?  Did you test the water before or after the water change?

The ideal situation for fish-in cycling has you with enough water volume, doing enough water changes, and feeding lightly enough that you never see ammonia or nitrite. 

If I had your fish and your set up, I would feed very lightly once a day and change 5 gallons of water daily to start with.  I would test for ammonia and nitrite before each water change.  If I got a reading over 0.25 ppm ammonia, I would increase the water change to 10 gallons daily.

When you did that water change yesterday, how much water did you change?  Did you test the water before or after the water change?

The ideal situation for fish-in cycling has you with enough water volume, doing enough water changes, and feeding lightly enough that you never see ammonia or nitrite. 

If I had your fish and your set up, I would feed very lightly once a day and change 5 gallons of water daily to start with.  I would test for ammonia and nitrite before each water change.  If I got a reading over 0.25 ppm ammonia, I would increase the water change to 10 gallons daily.

Thank you.

I changed 50% of the water two days ago and the water is still cloudy, any ideas why? :/

I tested before and after the water change, but I test every day. 

I didnt have any ammonia reading but decided to do a water change anyway, and still no readings today either... but I will be doing a water change again.

You tested the nitrites

Can you post a picture of your tank?  Don't worry about cloudy water, but a picture might give a clue to to the reason.

:hi. I think you are more stressed than your fish are!! You're being very diligent which will keep your fish minimally stressed, if at all. :)

You're getting great advice. Keep up the good work. :)

You tested the nitrites

I tested nitrites, ammonia and nitrates, all 0

Can you post a picture of your tank?  Don't worry about cloudy water, but a picture might give a clue to to the reason.

13249528_10206590115733751_35523556_n.jp

This is a crappy picture and weird angle, but the only one I could get with my phone to show the cloudiness at all...

Its easy to see with your eyes, but for some reason my phone wants to take it away. lol

:hi. I think you are more stressed than your fish are!! You're being very diligent which will keep your fish minimally stressed, if at all. :)

You're getting great advice. Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you so much. I am a stressed momma. hahaha. I just want everything to be well for them. :D

Have you had the rocks in there all along?   A scattering of rocks, with open space between them for vacuuming, works well.  If the rocks contact one another, they create a trap for uneaten food and fish waste.  This decays, feeds bacteria, and can make the water cloudy.   I can't tell for sure, but it looks like some of the rocks have "points."  You have telescopes, and they find ways to injure those protruding eyes.  You should consider anything with a point or sharp edge -- even a plastic plant --  an eye accident waiting to happen.

I suggest you take the fish out, remove the stones, and change all of the water to remove any gunk that has collected.  Then select some nice rounded, smooth stones and put some of them back in the tank. Leave space around every stone.  The fish will entertain themselves pushing the stones around in hopes of finding something edible and you can clean the bottom completely/

Have you had the rocks in there all along?   A scattering of rocks, with open space between them for vacuuming, works well.  If the rocks contact one another, they create a trap for uneaten food and fish waste.  This decays, feeds bacteria, and can make the water cloudy.   I can't tell for sure, but it looks like some of the rocks have "points."  You have telescopes, and they find ways to injure those protruding eyes.  You should consider anything with a point or sharp edge -- even a plastic plant --  an eye accident waiting to happen.

I suggest you take the fish out, remove the stones, and change all of the water to remove any gunk that has collected.  Then select some nice rounded, smooth stones and put some of them back in the tank. Leave space around every stone.  The fish will entertain themselves pushing the stones around in hopes of finding something edible and you can clean the bottom completely/

Thank you for your reply!

It might just be the picture, because when I look in my tank all the stones are very smooth, I made sure before I put them in... but should I separate them completely is what you're saying? I do use a Python for my water changes and make sure I move the rocks around and get any gunk. I just am not sure what is causing this cloudiness. :/

Cloudiness can come from either a suspension of bacteria or a suspension of fine particles.  I can't tell if you have a single tightly packed layer of rocks or rocks on top of rocks. 

If you are pushing the rocks around so that you can actually vacuum the floor of the tank, you will put debris into suspension causing cloudiness.  If you vacuum them from the top, debris will remain underneath the rocks and the suspension probably consists primarily of bacteria.  Neither condition will harm the fish in the short run.  I do not know how frequently you have to remove the rocks from an aquarium and wash them to avoid problems with toxic products of decay and reduced oxygen in the water because of the decay.

Since many people put rocks in the bottom of ponds, and I have ponds and frequent pond forums, I do know how long it takes with ponds.  If one does not periodicallyremove all of the rocks and water, clean the muck from the bottom, pressure wash the rocks, and replace all of the water, koi begin to die after a year, and tougher goldfish after two years. 

A bare bottom makes the easiest to clean and safest "substrate" for a tank, sand makes the most natural.  Goldfish came from natural ponds, lakes, and slow flowing rivers, all of which have a sand bottom, so they naturally clean the surface of sand by slurping up edibles and some sand from the bottom and efficiently spit out most of the sand and swallow the edibles.  They try to do the same with gravel (which does not occur in their natural habitat).  While swallowing sand doesn't hurt the fish, swallowing gravel can do so, and a piece of gravel stuck in the mouth/throat of a goldfish can cause serious distress to both the fish and the fish keeper. Most of the debris will stay close to the top of tightly packed gravel, so you can vacuum it fairly clean.   Goldfish cannot clean a continuous layer of rocks, let alone two layers.  Debris rapidly sinks into the large spaces between the rocks, and vacuuming does not remove it once it falls under a rock.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, just explaining what happens in the bottom of the tank.

Cloudiness can come from either a suspension of bacteria or a suspension of fine particles.  I can't tell if you have a single tightly packed layer of rocks or rocks on top of rocks. 

If you are pushing the rocks around so that you can actually vacuum the floor of the tank, you will put debris into suspension causing cloudiness.  If you vacuum them from the top, debris will remain underneath the rocks and the suspension probably consists primarily of bacteria.  Neither condition will harm the fish in the short run.  I do not know how frequently you have to remove the rocks from an aquarium and wash them to avoid problems with toxic products of decay and reduced oxygen in the water because of the decay.

Since many people put rocks in the bottom of ponds, and I have ponds and frequent pond forums, I do know how long it takes with ponds.  If one does not periodicallyremove all of the rocks and water, clean the muck from the bottom, pressure wash the rocks, and replace all of the water, koi begin to die after a year, and tougher goldfish after two years. 

A bare bottom makes the easiest to clean and safest "substrate" for a tank, sand makes the most natural.  Goldfish came from natural ponds, lakes, and slow flowing rivers, all of which have a sand bottom, so they naturally clean the surface of sand by slurping up edibles and some sand from the bottom and efficiently spit out most of the sand and swallow the edibles.  They try to do the same with gravel (which does not occur in their natural habitat).  While swallowing sand doesn't hurt the fish, swallowing gravel can do so, and a piece of gravel stuck in the mouth/throat of a goldfish can cause serious distress to both the fish and the fish keeper. Most of the debris will stay close to the top of tightly packed gravel, so you can vacuum it fairly clean.   Goldfish cannot clean a continuous layer of rocks, let alone two layers.  Debris rapidly sinks into the large spaces between the rocks, and vacuuming does not remove it once it falls under a rock.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, just explaining what happens in the bottom of the tank.

Well, I have larger rocks that cannot be swallowed, so that's not a concern for me but goodness. :/ Yes I have to move them around when I vacuum to make sure I get all the pieces. I DO have plants, so I use the rocks for that... so we think maybe the cloudiness is from moving around the rocks? 

Could I take them out, power wash, then put them back in? Maybe not as much? 

And is there anything that I can add to the tank that will help with the cloudiness? I use Prime as a water conditioner, but is there anything to clear the water up?

What do you have in your filter?

You can add koi clay.   It will agglutinate the suspended debris so it falls to the bottom.  

With the rocky bottom you will continue to have suspended debris produced, unless you don't move the rocks at all when you vacuum.  

And not moving the rocks at all when you vacuum will not be good either.  I'd definitely follow Sharon's advice and remove some of those rocks .. . . 

What do you have in your filter?

I have what came with it right now, it's a regular filter cartridge and also a sponge inside with it. 

And not moving the rocks at all when you vacuum will not be good either.  I'd definitely follow Sharon's advice and remove some of those rocks .. . . 

Okay, I will try taking out some of the rocks. Is it okay to keep some though?

And would it okay to have a few "bunched" sections where I have my plants planted? I dont move those around at all as to not hurt the roots of the plants.