Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GothSpice

Canister filter for a 55 gallon?

So after going through a great deal of trouble tearing down my new 55 gallon tank and restarting it before it had even finished cycling (due to snails), I finally plugged my two Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 filters back in... And nothing. Not a whirr, not a peep. Dead. I spent 3 hours trying everything I could think of to get them to work, and nothing. I've had them 34 days, just missing the date for returns. So now I'm out $80.

ANYWAYS, now that I've stopped shaking my fists at the sky in impotent rage I need to get a new filter. My friend who keeps Oscars loves her canister filter and swears by it. She has a National Geographic cf70 uv filter. If I went that route I'd probably go up to the cf80, though that seems a little low, being rated "up to" 80 gallons. Maybe a Fluval 406? I want something I can rely on, that isn't going to break my back, and isn't going to break the bank. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

I have 2 Fluval 405 which is the older model of the 406. They are excellent. I think 1 could sufficiently filter a properly stocked 55 although I might suggest an air stone on the opposite side to ensure good circulation. Regarding the Aqueon 55/75 filters... I have 4 of them. They usually start right back up and require no priming. Sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in and it will start. Other times I hit it near the motor and it starts up. Also make sure if they are attached to a power strip that the strip is on. Good luck. You might also try starting it with the intake tube off. Probably won't help but will only take a few seconds.

I'd second the Fluval (or an Eheim). You can't really go wrong with either, although having had filters from both brands now, in my experience the Fluval is somewhat easier to clean.

I almost sound like a Fluval spokes person, but I have slowly switched almost all of my aquarium equipment to Fluval. I run a 406 canister, a fluval 200 watt heater, and a fluval 40gallon air pump for an extra sponge filter. 

All of my fluval products have outlasted the other brands so I have become a fluval fanboy. If you do a little upkeep like rinse the fluval canister ever 3-4 weeks, it will last you a very long time. Mine has been going for at least 1.5 years with 0 problems. Priming is extremely easy since it has a priming pump. The only downside i've noticed is that a thick weird slime coat builds on the intake/ exit tubes running from the canister to the tank and whenever you restart the canister sometimes it will release these really nasty looking slime material. If you clean or replace the intake/exit tubes that won't happen.

Go for the fluval!

Fluval it is! I'm on my way to the store now. Fingers crossed!

Well color me impressed! This thing's got some serious power! It's got plenty of room for extra media (yay lava rocks!), and it's so quiet I keep checking to make sure it's even running! Now if it lives, and continues to perform, then I'll be a full canister-convert :)