Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Ammonia and Nitrates

Nericons tank today... Saw maybe .5 ppm of ammonia and maybe 40 ppm nitrates. Kinda weird. Last week showed no ammonia, maybe .5 ppm of nitrite, and no real nitrates. Lol the cycle has always been one to kick my butt. Strange goings on...

post-25299-0-76078300-1463283280_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga

Just to clarify, I am drunk. Is there a question here?

I'm sorry! Yes, I was asking if this is normal or okay in a cycling process. It doesn't usually work this way.

When you post pictures of a test, could you please stand the tubes and chart upright?  I can't read the tests well when looking at a tube with only a thin layer of fluid, and even if I could, my old neck doesn't like being tipped on its side.

I can say that you do not have 0.5 ammonia and probably not zero, but I can't tell any more.  Could be a trace, could be 0.25.  

Even under ideal conditions, reading nitrate is very difficult.   I can say you need to change more water, since the nitrate exceeds 10. Retest the ammonia, and make sure you have a clean tube and cap.  

Last week Nericon was a day late and I changed only about 30% since I really was not feeling that well. I changed her water 70% yesterday after the tests.

So confusing. This test comes after the test that I posted yesterday AFTER a 70% WC. Huh? This looks crappy.

Nericons pH is always way lower, too. The other tanks and the tap are always a deep purple, but hers isn't. Her tank is wonky. The other tanks weren't giving me any trouble.

The pH tubes in the second photo didn't sit... They both darken when sat for multiple minutes...

post-25299-0-53782000-1463331740_thumb.j

post-25299-0-55174100-1463332112_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga

I want to mention something that I just thought about. I've been using this stuff on Nericons tank whereas Seachem Prime is used for all the tanks downstairs. It looks funny compared to Seachem Prime.

As a note, Nericon seems perfectly fine.

post-25299-0-89025700-1463332673_thumb.j

I upgraded her filtration from 150 GPH to 250 GPH and I think I'm going to just clean everything and start over. She has a mostly bare bottom tank. She eats most of her poop, she doesn't get fed that much due to a damaged swim bladder from eating rocks and me being mega careful to ensure she doesn't float, which she hasn't for weeks now. Her filter media gets cleaned twice a week usually in tank water. She seems fine but her water is bleh. I'm almost out of the other water conditioner, I believe it affects pH. I'll use Seachem Prime on her tank, too.

What is in the tank? Like decorations

Does it change your water for you and feed your fish?  That about the only things that it doesn't claim. The only information given about content is "all natural."   Snake oil may interfere with your tests.  :)  I'm glad you are using Prime now.

How does your tap water test?

This is Nericons tank Koko. Sharon, that made me laugh. I demanded a place where I could find what was in it. And they had nothing so I actually asked for a return, but as I got it direct from Ireland, they had no way of taking it back so refunded without return. It was free and I figured it was probably just like most water conditioners. Kinda only occurred to me now that it may impact pH. Testing tap now.

post-25299-0-79520900-1463334961_thumb.j

Tap tests today. Nothing out of the ordinary.

post-25299-0-27939500-1463335707_thumb.j

My test kit is working properly. Nericons tank? NOT SO MUCH!

Well I'm glad in a way, there is just rocks in there

Well I'm glad in a way, there is just rocks in there

I tried plastic plants but she kept trying to eat them as if she thought they were real. She eats gravel so literally I can't put anything in there. She eats everything...

Kio clay could help

I'll look into that. I've never heard of it. I presume that its for fish who eat everything including their own poop?

I know they say feeding pineapple helps with coprophagia in dogs.

Edited by mjfromga

DSCN0097_zpsx6vgioel.jpg

In other news, here's Nericon today. Happy girly, doing pretty well in her weird tank... But I'm on top of fixing things.

Yeah - now I also see part of my problem. I'm not getting 150 GPH out of this old leaky and crappy TopFin 30. She needs a new filter, I'm tired of trying to fix this one.

post-25299-0-00872200-1463979600_thumb.j

I may have an old filter, it maybe a loud one but you could have it.... let me look

Thank you, Koko. A friend has already sent me a new filter! I noticed this issue a few days ago. I tried to fix it, but couldn't. I think it's just KAPUT!

This looks better! Let's see if little Nericons wee water issues will improve a bit. :) Added a sponge filter, too.

post-25299-0-19982400-1464070217_thumb.j

post-25299-0-43584600-1464070352_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga