Miss Bad Wolf

Finish setting up a 55 tank

15 posts in this topic

I got a 55 tank basically impulsively and part not thinking it through.   It is a basic 55 with a pinch of sand on the bottom and it is on a stand.   The sand is from my bucket which had sand in it from doing water changes on my twenty gallon goldfish tank.

Should I try to get more sand?  if so how much?  or should I try to do gravel for my goldfish.

Also what else would be good for the tank.  I know I need a hood with lights.   What are the most important things I need before finish filling it up with water and transferring the goldfish to their new home?

You dont need any sand if you prefer. Is the new tank cycled? What is your plan with cycling the tank? :rolleyes:

I prefer sand over gravel.... But I know their is plenty of people Who do bare bottom..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh just an update.  I chose a gravel bottom, and now have the fish in the fifty five gallon tank.  It appears majority of the fish like to stay in the same end of the tank instead of exploring their new home.  There is one fish that is exploring the tank but the rest are at the same end.

:teehee how cute. Maybe the water flow is too intense on the other side?

Start feeding in different places of the tank :idont

How many fish do you have? I have 3 in my 55 and they mostly like one end of the tank too. I think that's because I drop the food in that end. They do swim the length when they feel like it, though. Give them time :)

Gravel is fine as long as none of your fish try to eat it, it isn't too thickly layered, and you vacuum it at least once a week. I'll never choose it again, but I currently have it in my main tank and everything is fine.

I have six goldfish, 3 moores and three orange telescopes. They are now swimming around the whole tank since I started feeding them at the end I want them to swim in

I prefer bare bottom for my goldfish just because they are such piggies it makes it easier for cleaning,gravel can hold a lot of waste and cause bacteria pockets of gas that can harm your fish,Congrats on the upgrade,we all would love some pics :)

Will try to remember when I get home

Please read our guidelines.

Let's see some pics!

Are these your first goldfish?  If you're not already hooked on the hobby, I'm sure it won't be any time at all until you are! Moors and tele's are such fun fish :) 

This is a great forum to join to learn.  I joined in Oct last year and have learned a TON!

Be aggressive with gravel siphoning at water change time, get a long siphon for big tanks and stab the [censor] out of the gravel like you really hate it!  Gets up the poop and uneaten fish food stuck in the crevices between gravel and shifts gravel around to help avoid getting the aerobic gas pockets shellbell4ever mentioned.

I had a gravel tank when I kept a leopard sailfin pleco (another monster pooping fish species).  Before I rehomed it it was 13" long (they max out around 18") and pleco poop strands can be over 4x their body length so yeh.. lot of poop to siphon!  Kinda wished I'd done bare bottom instead of gravel for 'em but no matter now, he's pooping up someone else's tank ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

I forgot about this topic but hopefully will do pictures soon.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

I thought I took pictures and posted them here but guess I forgot.   What are some tips on getting good pictures of my goldfish?

I thought I took pictures and posted them here but guess I forgot.   What are some tips on getting good pictures of my goldfish?

I make them think they're getting food by putting my hadn over the tank lid, they tend to hold still and look for food to drop in.