Kokos Goldfish Forum

Hi everyone :) 

I'm planning a vacation to the East, Japan/China/Singapore/S.Korea and would like to plan the entire trip around Goldfish farms, museums, markets, festivals... the web is not much of an help, any suggestions? please :) 

thnx 

Welcome to Kokos!!!!

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I hope some of our Koko-nuts can help you here.

Sorry no clue. But does sound fun.

If you go to Hong Kong, Tung Choi Street and Ocean Park are probably the most accessible fish/goldfish attractions.

Tung Choi is a bit surreal, it's basically like Hong Kong's version of those streets you see in videos of Vietnam (thousands of fish in little bags). If you can stomach the grime and the sight of fish in bags, it's definitely something you won't forget. Whether or not that's a good thing is another question entirely.

Ocean Park is worth visiting if it's not too expensive still (I went about 10 years ago). It's basically a state sponsored Amusement Park/Oceanarium combination with a permanent goldfish display and the biggest escalator I've ever been on (goes up and down the side of a mountain). Truth be told, I don't really remember what else they had besides a lovely butterfly garden, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's changed quite a bit. It closed shortly after we visited and they put a few billion dollars into it, in order to compete with the recently opened Disneyland.

I asked my relatives about this a few years back and they told me that for goldfish farms, you're going to need to go to rural mainland China (Sichuan and Guangzo have some major traditional goldfish farms and the prized eggfish) or rural countryside of Japan/ smaller islands (they said you'll find the prized/traditional koi farms out there). Basically, you're going to need to leave the major cities to get to the goldfish/ koi farms. You'll find you get more goldfish and oddball fish in China and more koi in Japan. 

The best thing to do, is to talk to local fish stores, even in major cities like Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc. Or if you're short on time, then go to the NIGHT MARKET. Every and I mean every major Asian city has what is known as a "NIGHT MARKET" and they have local cuisine, street stalls, bazaars, goods, and live fish. What's super popular among little kids in China and Taiwan are these Night Market stands with little kiddie pools full of common goldfish and you pay like a quarter to get a little paper tissue net and you try to scoop them up before the net breaks. Those people that run those stalls will definitely have the right information on fish farms and where to go. 

Good luck!

Thank yo'all for the information. i appreciate it!  i will check more about this and update u if u will be interested !

Wow that will be a fun trip! Take lots of pictures for us :P

Singapore should be having their Bi-Annual Aquarama (koi and goldfish) show in 2017.. usually hosted somewhere between the months of May-June and for the public, there are tours to the local goldfish breeding farms if you buy a 3 day pass.. or,  you can pay a tour at anytime but you will need to register your interest with their events information centre. there is no current hype for this show that at this stage, but i have been keeping my 'feelers' out for any information, which i expect to start hearing about it in December '16 or Jan '17.. 

What are the beauties  @ 5:35  in the first video??