• * Nitrite Level(Tank) Not measurable
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 15-20 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank 7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap  7.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater test kit w/ drops
      • * Water temperature? 72-74
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gal. I'ts been running since last June.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 and a 110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly.
  •  
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?  5 days since a 50% change.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Three. Averaging 3.5 inches.
  • * What kind of suppliments? Prime water conditioner, also Flourish, Flourish Excel, and an Iron supplement for the plants.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent Green, froozen bloodworms, NLS Thera +A and Hikary purple. Also ocassional peas of brocolli.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Fluke treatment with Prazi and salt about two months ago over a period of several weeks. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing apart from a few visible blood vessels on his white tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Bottom sitting and splashing on the surface over a period of one day, then going back to normal.

Hello again. Well i seems that Spot, the fish I had trouble with before is having troubles again.  For the second time in a number of weeks he's suffered with a bout of bottom sitting (perking up when I come near the tank). But this time he's added surface splashing to his symptoms. He will sit in the corner on the bottom, then every few minute he'll dash to the surface, skimming it on his side, and making a huge splash before going back to the bottom.

The first time I did an additional water change with no obvious effect and on both occasions I've given everyone a hefty serving of peas, and both times he seemed back to normal the next morning. Both occurred shortly after their morning Repashy feeding on warm days, when the tank temperatures were a degree or two above normal. None of the other fish show any symptoms at all.

All of this occurred yesterday. Today he's behaving and swimming normally.

By bottom sitting, do you mean his belly is on the bottom or is he hovering above the bottom?  If this occurs after feeding, he's probably digesting the meal. 

Bottom sitting only causes concern if the fish can't get off the bottom, if it spends most of the time on the bottom, or if it has other symptoms.  Otherwise compare it to you sitting in a chair.

The splashing sounds like a fishy "game."

Yes, he's actually resting on the bottom. he'll show interest if I come close to the tank, then he'd go back to sitting.  When on the surface he'll do sort of a half circle shimmy while on his side. I suppose it could be a game, but it happened every few minutes through most of the day. He was on the bottom still when lights went out. Then in the morning he was swimming normally again.

I really have no idea what causes this behaviour.

I take back what I said. He's splashing again today. Not as frequently as the other day, and at least he's not bottom sitting. But it is worrisome.

Edited by Phil B.

Maybe that's his way of dealing with itchiness? Or maybe its something swim bladder related? :( Sorry I can't be of help. Poor guy.

Awww its okay. At least its only an occasional thing.

Hey hun, I would like you to try this for me please.... Do a water change but please dont add the iron or excel in the water again... Im wondering if that fish just doesnt like it. I know I had to stop with my molly tank as they just didnt like the iron in there water :o

Also broccoli can make fish well Gassy lol

I had two fish that flipped over when I put iron in the aquaponics system.  I pulled them out, put them in a tub with clean water and duckweed and they were fine the next day.  I kept them out of their tank for a week, decreased the amount of iron, and they have not had another problem.

Okay, I'll give that a try.

No splashing today and all the fish seem happy.

And today he's back to splashing, soon after I gave everyone their pellets. I wonder f perhaps he's eating too fast and they're getting stuck?

On previous occasions it started happening soon after giving everyone their morning meal of Repashy.

I am a repashy fan myself but I noticed one of my guys gets more floaty on it.  This guy also does really bad on peas.  I'm wondering if repashy isn't working for him???

I hope your guy feels better! :)  

And today he's back to splashing, soon after I gave everyone their pellets. I wonder f perhaps he's eating too fast and they're getting stuck?

On previous occasions it started happening soon after giving everyone their morning meal of Repashy.

Ok lets take them off pellets for now... Lets just try to give them peas for 2 days nothing else... :)

Could you get some duckweed?

No real sources for duckweed around here. I'll try cutting back on the pellets.

No symptoms the past two days, so looks like he's recovering. I wonder if there's something to the iron suppliment theory?

Gaaah! He's doing it again! Splashing that is, no bottom sitting. *starts tearing hair out*

This time though I caught it on video, so you can see why its so distressing. :(

He's also persuing my Moor around the tank, so I guess there's mating behavior involved here.

http://vid677.photobucket.com/albums/vv134/pandaphil/MVI_2681_zps83jhkpdi.mp4

Edited by Phil B.

The folks on the Facebook forum a frequent say it's a mating display. What do you guys think?

Whoa! I've actually never seen anything like that at all. Doesnt look at all what I thought it would look like. Hope you can get to the bottom of it. It almost looks like he'd jump clean out...

BTW - my Slate spends half the day chasing my Rhonda like that. Both Slate and Rhonda are females around a year old but they've done this since I got them as babies.

Edited by mjfromga

In this case though I can see breeding stars on his gills.

And today everyones back to normal. I think I'm just going to stop worrying about it.

Good idea! Don't drive yourself berserk over nothing.