Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Acute swim bladder disorder, now okay

Last night I was sitting watching TV when I heard this big flip flop splashing from the tank.  Very unusual and when I went to look I saw my big thai oranda, Bob, totally upside down!!!  She was flopping around and could vigorously swim to the upright position to swim down into the tank, but then would rapidly float back up when she stopped swimming.  Like a balloon being released underwater.  It was quite alarming.  She would just rest upside down and didn’t look very happy.  Everyone else in the tank was fine.

So I flipped out and immediately went to work changing the water.  I had last done this less than a week ago.  I also cleaned the filter, which I had also done a week ago.  While the water level was decreasing she uprighted herself.  As I filled the tank back up I kept a watch on her thinking I would keep it lower if she flipped back over but she didn’t so I filled it to the top.  She didn’t look too happy when I was done but she was upright.  She has stayed upright as of today and actually looks totally normal/fine/active now, like nothing happened.  I put some salt into the water (now at 0.2%) thinking it couldn’t hurt.

Has anyone seen this before?   I may have been a little more heavy handed with feeding lately (bloodworms, Repashy, vitamin soaked NLS Thera-A).  This was just such an acute/drastic event I am surprised.

I have not added any fish recently but did lose a fish.  One of my pearlscales.  The lost pearlscale became a little lethargic/sideways floaty which I think I caught onto a little late and had what may have been costia.  She had a petechial rash that was exactly the same as in Ree’s post about pOdge.  I treated with a combo of formalin and malachite green and the fish actually did well but then got dropsy and it went all downhill from there.  This was about a month ago.

My plan was to bring the salt up to 0.3% for a week or so.  Also I was going to fast them all for several days.  I don’t see Bob poop much but when I do it is short and fat and doesn’t hold together in a string.  I think big fish, big poop, breaks apart soon after being passed.  

Even though she seems better now I am fishing for any thoughts, recommended actions or things to watch out for in the future to prevent this from happening again!

·         Test Results for the Following:

o    * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

o    * Nitrite Level(Tank)  0

o    * Nitrate level(Tank)  About 50

o    * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0

o    * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0

o    * Nitrate level(Tap) 40

o    * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.8 /kh 7 / gh 5 

o    * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   ph 7 / kh 7 /gh 0 (water softener)

o    Other Required Info:

§  * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API drops

§  * Water temperature?  74 

§  * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  75g, 9 months 

§  * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SunSun 304b 525 gph, internal fluidized sand bed, UV sterilizer

§  * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 75%

·         * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, about 75%

·         * How many fish in the tank and their size? 

• Bob- Thai Oranda: 6” SL
  • O- golfball pearlscale- 3.5” SL
  • Bubble eye- 2.5” SL
  • Pearlscale juveniles x3- about an inch

·         * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, Replenish, usually koi clay after water changes but not this last time, recently began using Seachem Trace in an effort to get my anubias to grow.

·         * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.  Repashy, Bloodworms, NLS Thera-A soaked in Vita Chem.  I usually feed one of these things twice a day.

·         * Any new fish added to the tank? No

·         * Any medications added to the tank? Salt after this last water change, otherwise no

·         * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Big fish had originally been quarantined with salt and prazi. These were the first fish in this tank.  Smaller fish were from LFS and I quarantined them with salt, and Tetra Parasite guard (praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole, Acriflavin) prior to adding them to tank.  I occasionally dose the tank with prazi, last time was 2 weeks ago.  Nothing else.

·         * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No.  Just upside down.

·         * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She has been doing a few cartwheels while eating recently but otherwise normal.

Edited by Butterfly

Here she is when it happened!

IMG_0844.JPG

Im so glad bob is feeling ok now! hopefully it will all be fine now and your fabulous quick thinking saved the day :D!

Im not sure on the science behind this and would also love to know why it is so :rolleyes:

IMG_0844.JPG

Oh gosh that is alarming :yikes

Glad Bob is OK.

Im so glad bob is feeling ok now! hopefully it will all be fine now and your fabulous quick thinking saved the day :D!

Im not sure on the science behind this and would also love to know why it is so :rolleyes:

IMG_0844.JPG

Oh gosh that is alarming :yikes

Glad Bob is OK.

Thank you.  Yes, I was horrified to see this big fish completely upside down and thrashing around to get upright.  I am so, so happy that she is back to normal today.  I am curious if others have experienced something so abrupt. What would cause it?  Acute constipation?  Can a swim bladder get torsed and then untorse?   I had fed them about 4 hours before this and she was completely normal.  I was in the room the whole time leading up to it also and although I wasn't really watching the tank, I hadn't noticed anything or hear any weird sounds until the big splashing.

You might want to try Duckweed in the tank for food once a week. It does wonders for the goldfish :)

Most likely nitrate or overfeeding.