Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

HELP FISH GOT STUCK IN VACUUM

https://vimeo.com/166255567

What needs to b done? She will be alone in 20g of water with a quiet flow 30 asap. Do I need to remove the eye?? I'm freaking out here!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you need to remove the eye, but it would help to compare the eyes. Can you take a picture of the other eye?

Salt to 0.1% to help reduce osmotic pressure.

Edited by LisaCGold

Ugh. I'm sorry this happened. I am not sure about removing the eye, but my tele got his eye sucked off by the filter intake when my strainer fell off. I just made sure I kept the water clean and he came through it with no problems, other than not having an eye. I think the main concern is clean water until it heals. Hopefully someone can let you know what to do about the eye. Sorry I can't help with that part of it.

Also, I like your idea of isolating her for the time being.

Hope she feels better.

Yikes!  So sorry that it happened.  I had it happen to a small goldfish about 8 years ago (stupid me, had the hose in the tank draining water without the vacuum head on there) I looked away for a second and it literally decapitated the poor fish.

It happens to the best of us.  I really hope the eye heals!!!

Thanks for the pictures. No need to take off the eye. Just pristine water conditions and 0.1% salt for now.

I assume the red marks next to the good eye are from the vacuum, correct?

Also, do let us know if any changes occur, like more redness, change in behavior, etc.

Thanks for the pictures. No need to take off the eye. Just pristine water conditions and 0.1% salt for now.

I assume the red marks next to the good eye are from the vacuum, correct?

Yes, her body was bent by the tube when she was sucked up...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Lisa is right that there just isn't a ton to be done when there is a vacuum accident. Sometimes there are internal injuries we cannot see. Isolation and the salt should help if she can bounce back from this.

Consider covering your vacuum with mesh if you haven't already. The kind that comes as a bad for avocados and tangerines at he grocery store is my personal favorite. I had years of no vacuum accidents and then one day sucked in and severely injured my favorite fish. I definitely endorse mesh over the syphon now!

Oh dear I hope everything turns out ok :hug . Im sorry this happened, its a bit traumatic! :yikes

Good vibes to you guys!

Hope she makes it through!

Stick with the treatment for now (salt, pristine water). Healing is happening and it may look worse before it gets better. Your fish may lose the eye (either it may come off or become blind), and, if so, the fish can function with just one eye.

Stick with the treatment for now (salt, pristine water). Healing is happening and it may look worse before it gets better. Your fish may lose the eye (either it may come off or become blind), and, if so, the fish can function with just one eye.

Ok. I won't change anything, treatment wise. She is eating happily today. However, her eye is milky and like, 1/3 attached. I'm not looking forward to waking up/coming homr to an eye floating around my tank.

Yow! Glad the fish survived. I sadly recently had an accident like this, but my fish didn't make it. Wishing her a proper recovery

Yow! Glad the fish survived. I sadly recently had an accident like this, but my fish didn't make it. Wishing her a proper recovery

Thank you! Haven't had her more than a week. Of.course this had.to happen.. ????. I'll be waaay more careful in the future tho!! Sorry about your bebe.

Yes, we learn from these mistakes. From now on I will remove the fishy before I take off the intake tunes altogether. I only had my Abanayabar about two months. Healthy, happy fish, life cut short by an error on my part. :( Looks like your girl will make it. Too bad about her eye, though.

Edited by mjfromga

Yes, we learn from these mistakes. From now on I will remove the fishy before I take off the intake tunes altogether. I only had my Abanayabar about two months. Healthy, happy fish, life cut short by an error on my part. :( Looks like your girl will make it. Too bad about her eye, though.

Yes. I am sorry about Abanyabar (sp?) she was very beautiful.

I'm sorry that the eye may be a loss. But do know that there are at least a couple of people on Koko's who have a fish with just one functioning eye. I don't remember them actually removing the eye themselves. Either it came off or eventually came off.

At some point when you feel it is time for the fish to return to the main tank (I'd go for at least a week in the QT) and the eye is wobbling around, then we can check in with the mod team about how to proceed.

Poor baby. I'm sorry that happened. Treat her gently and she will come out ok. :) *hug* My Lemon got stuck to a filter intake when he was tiny, and had bruises for about 2 weeks, so I know the pain you are experiencing. It's an accident. *hug*

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that the eye may be a loss. But do know that there are at least a couple of people on Koko's who have a fish with just one functioning eye. I don't remember them actually removing the eye themselves. Either it came off or eventually came off.

At some point when you feel it is time for the fish to return to the main tank (I'd go for at least a week in the QT) and the eye is wobbling around, then we can check in with the mod team about how to proceed.

I accidentally sucked one of my tele's eyes off with a siphon hose. It came off so fast I had no idea what had happened. I just put him in a QT with salt and changed the water every day. He has healed very well and seems to live just fine without his eye. 

Shadow:

IMG_3825_zps5hs3pvbe.jpg