Kokos Goldfish Forum
Lis.

Lis's 180 gallon bare bottom planted tank

Plant substrate + deep sand bed + goldfish = long term, a bad combination.

I lost a number of my fish around Christmas, and after trying to work out what may have caused the deaths, I decided to remove the substrate. Hope you like it!

324da832260418a8ed1ef533139fc590.jpgc847f613ae0c178b6de81522d915edde.jpg3847cd25d2daec7c79ac10942bce51ba.jpgf96383851e1f202c72db96eddaefc65a.jpga0c750521e42aad1c8ed9a74d38c9959.jpgc6a2433653c20959704261cdd373a223.jpg34274a4e5b75b036beb949bfa64998b3.jpgf1427bc638b4c5ea609d167fdb235054.jpg6457f44c8f71837a091cc0631110ccf6.jpg7b583b191cefebbb4add41efab3552d7.jpg5b3fdc6003fe1b6145cc31f71b35ccc0.jpg9bead36a8e71da544c46b9c4b555ec7f.jpgdc90d99084d397f9921c99b965161906.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW!!!  :tonge:  It looks AMAZING!!!

It was heartbreaking to hear about your losses.  Your fish have some HUGE fans out there, and I am one of them :)  They will all be missed. :heart

Looks really Awesome,Lis! smileys-winner-131838.gif

And of course the fish are Amazing!  :wub:

Wait, is Blimp still there? :scared:

Looks great!!!!

WOW!!! :tonge: It looks AMAZING!!!

It was heartbreaking to hear about your losses. Your fish have some HUGE fans out there, and I am one of them :) They will all be missed. :heart

Thanks beaut! It's been a rough number of months, everything seemed to be sorted until Cutiebean got sick :(

Looks really Awesome,Lis! smileys-winner-131838.gif

And of course the fish are Amazing! :wub:

Thank you! :) I don't have a Blimp haha

Looks great!!  Is that one giant piece of driftwood?  :o

Your plants are fabulous.  :thud

Looks great!! Is that one giant piece of driftwood? :o

Your plants are fabulous. :thud

Thanks Lisa :) it's 4 pieces of wood :) I can then just lift them up and vacuum under them when I do water changes, wouldn't like to try and lift a huge piece :P

:clapping: Always one of the prettiest tanks out there! :9

Looks really Awesome,Lis! smileys-winner-131838.gif
And of course the fish are Amazing! :wub:

Thank you! :) I don't have a Blimp haha

That would be me? :teehee

I mostly was wondering where you'd find such a huge piece of wood. :o

I mostly was wondering where you'd find such a huge piece of wood. :o

Nice Lisa! :lovewhip

:ehh

OMG! Don't even notice the bare bottom because the big wood :ehh and the goldfish are soooooo spectacular! :thumb:

Wow that is a lot of fish and your tank is stunning.

Oh Aubrey. :rofl3

OMG wow just WOW it looks so clean and elegant with all your fish! Sorry to hear about your losses :(

I have to join in with the expression......W O W!!!!! Your tank & Goldies are spectacular!!! (Not to mention the beautiful pictures you are able to take!!)

I laughed to myself when I realized YOUR 50% water change would be the TOTAL amount of MY tank's water!!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?!?!?

Edited by Jeana727

I'm a fan of sand substrate, and normally I despise bare bottom tanks, but . . .  your tank is stunning!   

If only more bare bottoms did this kind of setup for their goldfish!  It's not only stimulating for the fish, but for the viewers as well!  Absolutely fabulous!  High five to you!  :D

*EDIT*

What is your plant list?  I see a lot of Anubias (coffeefolia?), a small patch of something on the bottom right, and a plant growing out of the top . . .

Edited by Acro

I have to join in with the expression......W O W!!!!! Your tank & Goldies are spectacular!!! (Not to mention the beautiful pictures you are able to take!!)

I laughed to myself when I realized YOUR 50% water change would be the TOTAL amount of MY tank's water!!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?!?!?

Thank you Jeana! haha, it is mad when you put it like that :teehee I actually do 90% water changes too haha

I'm a fan of sand substrate, and normally I despise bare bottom tanks, but . . . your tank is stunning!

If only more did this kind of setup for their goldfish! It's not only stimulating for the fish, but for the viewers as well! Absolutely fabulous! High five to you! :D

Thank you! :) I love sand too, but I figured the best thing for my tank right now would be no substrate, and I do love it! I like that I can see every bit of dirt, and I've collected so many goldfish teeth since it went bare :teehee I've seen no negative difference in their behaviour since removing the substrate, they still forage and I'm safe in the knowledge that the tank is as clean as possible :)

Wow!!.. It is AWESOME!!..

How often you do WC???

Wow!!.. It is AWESOME!!..

How often you do WC???

Thanks! :-) I do 90% every 3-4 days

Beauty Lis.

Good luck with your new batch of fish.

What is your plant list?  I see a lot of Anubias (coffeefolia?), a small patch of something on the bottom right, and a plant growing out of the top.

What is your plant list? I see a lot of Anubias (coffeefolia?), a small patch of something on the bottom right, and a plant growing out of the top.

It's all anubias, I can't remember the varieties as they were bought around 2 years ago, but I do think some are coffeefolia :) there is a bunch of pothos that grows out of the tank, I've been meaning to add to it or trim it to get cuttings, but just haven't got round to it yet