Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldfishfanforever

Oranda all beat up

So I have three orandas in my pond and I noticed yesterday and the day before one of them was being chased around in what I pressured was breeding behaviour by a singletail and I just had a look at her and she is missing scales everywhere, ripped fins and I see blood so what should I do?? I can bring her in a salt a 7 gallon tank for the night and try and sort something out in the next few days but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't fill in the form atm I'm super stressed with coursework and an exam that is worth 25% of my final grade in ict within the next week so I literally have no time atm so I'm sorry but I may be able to do it tomorrow :).

Fill the other tank with half water from the main tank and half clean dechlorinated water to give her a break. Use a filter or air pump to circulate the water and keep an eye on ammonia levels.

It sounds like you're very busy, but the form might give us some clues as to what could be causing the behavior of worsening it. It does sound like aggressive 'springtime' chasing but that can be made worse by water conditions or even parasites. Sometimes what looks like chasing/bullying is a sick or weakened fish that can't keep up with healthier tank/pond mates, you know?

For now, definitely separate her out and I agree with DP that using some of the pond water isn't a bad idea to match the parameters a little more closely. You only have to do that initially and when you change the water out in a day or two you can use all treated tap water from there, but we want a calm, low stress environment and not to shock her system further by completely switching up what she is used to.

Follow the salt instructions in the link below, we want her gradually moved up to .3% salt. No other treatments at this time but light feeding and pristine water quality.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Edited by Arctic Mama

Since you're quite busy, you probably won't have much extra time for daily water changes on the 7 gallon.  Look around your house and see if you have a 15-20 gallon tote (even if you've got stuff in it, you can take the stuff out and use he tote for now, just wash it out).  This may help you not be stressed with lots of water changes on the 7 gallon, bc ammonia will build up in that fast.

Pond fish only swim fast because of spawning, fear, or food and only spawning involves a chase.  

If you can't do a 100% daily change in the 7 gallon, leave her in the pond.  She may get an infection, but better that than poisoning, which she will suffer in a small container wothout daily 100% water changes.   A larger container with smaller, less frequent water changes just means she suffers days of low-level toxicity.

Ok so I have left here in the pond for now as she seems to be ok and as shakaho has stated I would just harm the fish more with not being able to do daily water changes but if she gets worse I will bring her in and try my best :)