Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

Single tail body shape

I recently bought a blue shubunkin from a pond store and only saw it from above.  Today I set up the tank above the pond to get a side view of my pond fish and see how they are all doing.  The newest fish went up into the tank for a quick snack and I saw how different she is shaped compared to my other goldfish.  Her 'bottom line' (her lower part of her body as seen from the side) is very straight whereas my other pond fish have curved bottom lines.  Even under her face looks flatter from the side.  Have you seen goldfish with straight bottom lines?...is it a concern healthwise or just a genetic difference in breeding?  Just curious.  Thanks.

Here is the video...it's kinda hard to see the new blue fish since she was nervous in the tank and moved wildly...but at one point towards the end it is easier to see.  I have a smaller white fry that you see in the video who also has this flat bottom line but she also has trouble swimming so that's why I'm wondering if having the non-curved belly causes problems with room for the swim bladders or something?  The new fish seems to have no problems and swims well in the pond when she's not up in the tank...she just seems to have a different body shape than I've seen.

Does she have whiskers?

Does not look like a hybrid to me. But it was moving quickly.

..btw I love love love your big red and white one with the black spots.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Here is a perfect example of a hybrid body shape.

cb4afc9a4969407ac7effb26e8be7509.jpg75a3d310e507fe27d48a055d4428e86e.jpg

Edited by Daniel E.

Show standards want the top and bottom curves of the body to match, so you don't have a show-quality fish.

Thats what I was thinking too... Looks to be a cross of a Koi/Goldfish :)

Good catch:) Hidr and Daniel :)

You have some really cool looking fish! Maybe it wasnt getting enough food and just needs to fatten up a bit :)

Does she have whiskers?

Nope, no whiskers...definitely a goldfish :)

Thanks Daniel.  That shubunkin is Oreo.  He flew in from Blackwater Creek Koi in Florida (I live in WA state).  He was a black opal shubunkin but he has lost most of his black and gained red.  Originally when I got him he was black and blue and white.  I also have 2 other black opals I got at the same time and one of them has actually gained black and is almost completely black now.  It's so cool to watch the colors change :).

Blueberry is not a hybrid since she has no whiskers.

Show standards want the top and bottom curves of the body to match, so you don't have a show-quality fish.

That makes sense.  I loved her color and wasn't really looking at her body shape...I also see her tail is a little strange as well  :)

Thats what I was thinking too... Looks to be a cross of a Koi/Goldfish :)

Good catch:) Hidr and Daniel :)

I did think she kinda had that hybrid body shape...but she doesn't have whiskers.  I just got another video of her where she slowed down a bit (she was chewing) .  She has the blue body, but her belly is white on the bottom, so when she was swimming quickly I think my minds eye just saw the blue and thought she was really flat on the bottom...lol.

You have some really cool looking fish! Maybe it wasnt getting enough food and just needs to fatten up a bit :)

Thank you :).  She does seem a little skinny...she'll get a chance to chunk up a bit in the pond this summer :).

So I got a better video of her where she is moving slower since she is chewing.  It seems she is not as flat bottomed as I originally thought.  Since she is blue on her sides and then her lower part of her side and belly are white, when she was moving quickly my eyes just saw the blue and I didn't see the white coloration on the bottom.  So it is good to know she is not totally flat on her lower side like I first thought :).

Here's the video: 

That's so funny.  She has a brilliant blue.

That's so funny.  She has a brilliant blue.

I like that her blue is darker than my other sky blue shubunkin...although she'll probably lighten with age. My first sky blue shubie started with a white face and fins, but eating algae in the pond has turned her white to a bright yellow. I wonder if the same will happen to Blueberry's white face and fins. Some of my fish in the pond still have bright white markings, so I guess it just depends on the fish.