Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KimA.

Questions on floor strength.

WOW!

Ok guys lets get back to the topic on hand in a friendly matter.

Placing a tank with that much weight on an house floor that doesnt have a cement ground is tricky. I know as I am buying our first house and that was the first thing I did is have someone look under the crawl space to tell me the floor boards direction and if it could hold it.

Fish tanks over 40 gallons is alot of weight on a house with no cement foundation to it, and can kill ones floors. I personally would take any advice on this from someone that does Engineering for a living (as my dad does)....

So anyway. I didnt see anyone being called an idiot, I do see ppl getting snappy and cranky.... I say to everyone that I was raised up with... If you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all :)

Come on guys its KG no need to get all Uppity :o

I greatly appreciate Peter and AM's advice on helping to minimize any floor issues with the introduction of a 65 gallon tank. I hired a structural engineer for the remodel of our home way back when. Thank goodness for this person's advice. I realize that a structural engineer may make recommendations on the cautious side. That's what I appreciate, and I will always mindfully consider their recommendations.

Arctic Mama~  I can't thank you enough.  Would posting a video of a walk through the house help?  I can get the blueprints from the Landlord tonight. They added 1400 feet to the back of their house, so it is an add on.  :thumbup2:

Edited by KimA.

I'd love to post the link, but it will just be taken down because it is on another fish forum (actually, it's on many).  But the most amazing write up can be found if you search the web for "Residential Wood Framed Floors and Aquarium Weights".

There are photos and a long write up, written by a structural engineer.  It will explain everything that our wonderful members have tried to explain, and so much more. 

Good Luck  :D

Sorry for trolling last night. It's a bad habit after a few beers.

Arctic Mama~ I can't thank you enough. Would posting a video of a walk through the house help? I can get the blueprints from the Landlord tonight. They added 1400 feet to the back of their house, so it is an add on. :thumbup2:

A walk through a blue print would be great! We are looking at length of the rooms, how they adjoin to one another, position of windows and doors, efc. Those will help us find the load bearing walls and, if designed that way, the shear walls as well. Just make a note in the video of which direction you noticed the joists running.

Edited by Arctic Mama

With no basement there will be no walls bearing this load. The walls are simply holding up the roof. if there was a basement there would be load bearing walls that would be bearing the load of the tank. Your floor is all that is bearing this load.

Unless it's a 2 story house and the living room is on the second floor of course

With no basement there will be no walls bearing this load. The walls are simply holding up the roof. if there was a basement there would be load bearing walls that would be bearing the load of the tank. Your floor is all that is bearing this load.

No. Also wrong. Please stop contributing advice on these topics and stick with what you know - there are lots of other areas on the forum where your input is appreciated and helpful but this isn't one of them.

I highly suggest the article Acro referenced - it covers many of the common misconceptions about floor strength and how it is affected by loading.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I watched my house be built. The walls don't support the floor. I'm positive on this.

There are posts under main floor load bearing walls, dude. Those posts make these spots ideal for positioning tanks and carrying more load. My own tank is right next to one such spot of a main floor and top floor span supported by beams and carried directly down to posts and the footings of the house.

I'd love to post the link, but it will just be taken down because it is on another fish forum (actually, it's on many). But the most amazing write up can be found if you search the web for "Residential Wood Framed Floors and Aquarium Weights".

There are photos and a long write up, written by a structural engineer. It will explain everything that our wonderful members have tried to explain, and so much more.

Good Luck :D

Please do post it, we have new rules about that, and it's not a problem

Here it is:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

Some quibbles on his definition of dead load as it applies to aquariums, but Peter gave it the thumbs up overall and it's now required reading on here before he will answer any placement questions. It's a prerequisite course :rofl2

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

I hope this link works. Very  informative!

Hahaha! You just beat me to it!      

I need to call one of these  structural engineers and see how much it will cost  to have them crawl under the house. Hope its not too pricey.

Edited by KimA.

Really, you probably don't need someone crawling under there. We can get clues from what we see walls in :)

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

Hahaha! You just beat me to it!      

Yep, that's the one!  It's been posted on a several fish forums.  I prefer the 2nd link because it has all the photos and was updated a little by the author.

:D

Edited by Acro