Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Filtering my cornertank

Hello all.

So my plan was to use a smaller SunSun canister (264gph model) on my new 54g corner tank with an AquaClear 70.  I measured it all out for length and got the AC only to find out that it doesn't fit over the rim of my tank! :madrant   The tank lip is a millimeter or so too wide.  And the AC is also huge depthwise... which I didn't quite grasp when I looked over the measurements.

I have some options. 

Grind out the mm or so on my tank rim to fit the AQ-  I could do this, but I don't know if I want to do this.  Especially because now I see how big it really is, I'm a little less keen on this big HOB.

I could get a larger canister.  I have the 525gph SunSun (304b) on my 75g tank.   I am happy with it but it is SO BIG AND HEAVY.  I was hoping to get the smaller unit for this tank to make it easier to lug around when needed.

I was also thinking about getting the modular add on to the 264gph.  I was thinking about doing this even in my original plan.  Basically a prefilter, increasing amount of sponge filter media but still running of the main canister pump/flow.  Also would also for easier quick cleanings by just cleaning out this pre-filter.

Right now I am running the tank with a single huge sponge filter driven by air.  Working totally fine.  I have so much air going through it though it sounds like a bubbling cauldron (I only had a big pump so I linked the 2 outputs together to make it work).

Thanks.

:help:

Any reason not to use the sponge filter and small sunsun?

Also I do not advocate for prefilter on intake tubes. They restrict the flow and prevent debris from getting into the filter. When you remove the prefilter to clean it, debris will loosen from it back into the tank.

Edited by DieselPlower

Yeah. I thought about using a sponge filter with the canister but I find I have the same issues with those as you described with the intake tube prefilter. One, I always have an issue getting the air tubing out of the filter to get it out of the tank. Maybe I could add a quick connect. Anyway, by the time I do, a lot of the debris in the sponge is back in the water. Plus where I have the filter (back in the corner) I'll have to take off the whole top to get to it. I may look in to using a power head to run a smaller filter and put it up front and high, maybe more convenient.

The prefilter I linked to is not in the tank. It is an outside canister that is plumbed in line with the canister with the pump. Siphon -> pre-filter canister (no pump) -> canister (with pump) -> back to tank. I do have concerns that it would further reduce the canister flow, but I am not sure how significant that would be given the extra media the water is being filtered through.

Edited by Butterfly

I guess what I'm hoping to get a feel of from the group is how really awesome is the HOB AC?

I was hoping that it would give me better/more options for quick maintenance, being able to pull out the media for quick rinses without having to lug out the whole unit like I do with the canister.

I love my AC.... I have tried alot of others and I have to say.... The easiness of the AC to clean and the general quietness of them is nice :)

I have never used an AC HOB but everything I have read (a lot) supports the idea that they are the best HOB filter.