Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
yogosans14

New Oranda in 29 gallon tank, thoughts?

12 posts in this topic

I don't normally like gravel but I wanted to try something different, how do you think I did decorating wise? Is there any live plants I can add to the gravel? Thanks!

20160430_222859_zpsbupp4wc2.jpg

Edited by yogosans14

From what I see, you only added gravel. I don't see anything else decoration wise. The background is sticking to the tank, which gives off that odd look. A quick towel behind it to wipe the moisture will get rid of that.

There are many live plants to choose from. You should go and look at a list of aquatic plants and see what you like. Different plants require different pH, water harness, lighting, and CO2 amounts. I currently have Red Ludwigia, Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Banana Lily, and Java Fern.

Many like Anubias, Anacharis, Vallisneria, Pearl Weed, Crypt, Marimo Moss, and there are many others. Have a look at some photos and see what you like and what requirements they need. Live plants need to be cleaned before added to a tank and also trimmed when they need it. Goldfish tend to enjoy eating some of the plants, but some goldfish won't touch them at all.

I think that deep bed of large gravel, though too large to swallow, will be a mulm factory :(

I think that deep bed of large gravel, though too large to swallow, will be a mulm factory :(

Should I have just went bare bottom?:(

No just not as much, I would take some of it out

How deep is the gravel? Just wondering. I do prefer bare bottom myself otherwise a thin layer that is easy to get all the poop out of. When I had a good thick layer is became amazingly disgusting even though I would run the siphon all through it on a regular basis. Anyway.... Nice looking tank.

I removed all of it and went bare bottom again, couldn't be happier. I just prefer Goldfish with bare bottom, I'm a clean freak when it comes to my tanks.

20160502_005446_zpslhhnwjfp.jpg

heres what is looks like now

Edited by yogosans14

Very nice! I think the background in the first pic is just out of focus... Kind of reminded me of a Monet painting :) it's clearer in the second picture and still pretty :)

20160502_005446_zpslhhnwjfp.jpg

heres what is looks like now

Much better  :clapping:

WOW!!

Now thats a very nice looking tank :goodjob:happydance

I like your tank's bare bottom/few rocks look. Also, I do prefer gold and white rocks. As your fish gets older it will push the rocks around to look for food. Good exercise for him/her!