Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shahbazin

Setting up tank that has been taken down for a few days?

I'm starting a new thread, since this is asking different questions than my "tank overflow" one - I took everything out of my tank Thursday night due to a water accident. I have wet sand sitting in a 5 gal. pail, & a pound or 2 of sand sitting in an inch of water in the tank.

Do I need to rinse the sand or anything before returning it to the tank? Or do anything about the wet sand & inch of water remaining in the tank, & will this affect the tank integrity in any way? I intend to start setting up the tank Monday after the fans get picked up & carpet put back, & return the fish by Mon. eve. or Tuesday morning. I have the plants & fish in a 100 gal. stock tank outside the back door, with just the hydro pro5 sponge with the powerhead on it running; I dumped all the Aquaclear media on the bottom of the tub next to it - will the bacteria mostly survive, or will I see a cycle bump, do you all think? I have some wire & shade cloth over to fish to keep them from getting too hot & only fed them once today - they were mostly chasing each other around anyhow, seemed not too upset by the sudden change - I think all of the plants help them feel more secure. Current house temp is 75 F without running the AC.

You should be good to just fill it up. Unless it got super cold or baked in the sun.

I don't think you have to wash the sand,  but if I had everything taken apart, I would wash it.  You don't often get a chance to do that.  Don't worry about the filter bugs.  They probably enjoy a little change.

Put goldfish in a new environment, and they will spawn.