Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GothSpice

Topping Off Water While Ammonia Cycling

Hey guys, quick question. I'm in the middle of fishless cycling my new tank, and it seems to be chugging along just fine, but I find myself needing to occasionally top-off the water. My question is, is it better for the cycle to just use plain, untreated tap water? Or should I use Prime-treated water, and then add more ammonia after an hour? Any advice would be much appreciated!

What ammonia concentration do you have in the water?  The nitrifiers cannot tolerate chlorine, so you do have to use Prime when you replace water. 

If your ammonia level exceeds 2 ppm, you should not add more ammonia when you change water.  Excess ammonia inhibits both ammonia oxidation and nitrate oxidation.

I'm trying to keep my ammonia levels at roughly 1 to 2 ppm, closer to 1. And that's good to know that too much can impede progress! I'm really glad now that I didn't give in to temptation and take it up to 4 ppm to try to cut corners hahaha! Thanks Shakaho, I'll go top it off with conditioned water confidently now :)

Good for you!  I look forward to learning how long fishless cycling takes when you keep the ammonia lower.  

Good for you!  I look forward to learning how long fishless cycling takes when you keep the ammonia lower.

Well I've got bad news, I'm gonna have to start all over. I had some untreated plants that I introduced to the tank a few weeks ago, only to find that they were infested with snail eggs. Sure enough, last night I found 3 snails. So I'm going to drain the tank, disinfect it, boil my gravel, disinfect my filters, bleach dip all my plants and driftwood, and start from square one. It's ridiculous, but I'd rather just deal with it now than go through the wringer later with a full infestation. And this time I'm not going to do dirt below the gravel, it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm gonna spring for some decent aquasoil (Anyone have any recommendations on what type/brand?).

I've got work the next few days, but I hope to have it restarted by the end of the week. When I start over I think I'll make a new post and just log my process there.

Anybody know how far into the fishless ammonia cycle you have to go before it's safe to add plants?

*sigh* What a hot mess.

You should have plants from the start.  

Cool! Okay that makes that a heck of a lot easier.

Oh, sorry to hear about the snail infestation. If you haven't started over yet, you could go buy an assassin snail and put it into the tank to eat the other snails.