Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

AquaAurora's Goldfish MTS Chronicles

I LOVE Chili!!!!!  :heart

On Thursday, February 09, 2017 at 7:35 PM, koko said:

PSST! Should we go and get some :teehee 

Yeah. Lets go.

Great thread and awesome setup. :goodjob

Question: I want to add some non-aquatic plants to the top of my tank. Is it advisable to use plants that have been in dirt/potting mix with fertilizers? Is giving the roots a really good rinse enough to make it safe?

13 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

I LOVE Chili!!!!!  :heart

If you like it spicy you'd like my husband's chilli

Yeah. Lets go.

Haha

13 hours ago, FishTankEnthusiast said:

Great thread and awesome setup. :goodjob

Question: I want to add some non-aquatic plants to the top of my tank. Is it advisable to use plants that have been in dirt/potting mix with fertilizers? Is giving the roots a really good rinse enough to make it safe?

Thank you.

All the house plants I use to keep on my tanks (55g was covered in them) came potted in soil from stores (likely has ferts/chemicals used on them before).  I give the roots a very thorough but gentle rinse under room temperature water and put them on the tank.  Never had an issue even with more sensitive fish like otocinclus (tiny catfish), in fact the otos loved to hang out on my dumb cane roots.

As AA said, a rinse works fine.  

UUUUGH FML Planned out using storage totes over the 75g tanks and connected with pvc.. took too long to get it done and between getting the totes and actually putting them together forgot the key point of how much space would be added by the pvc connectors.. without the connectors I could push 3 totes together over th4 8" long tank.. with the connectors in i can only fit 2.. my lights and pluming plants hinged on them staying in a 48" length range.  I'm so frustrated I could scream!

For all the time and money wasted on this I'm just going to toss it and buy the [censor] 48" long storage bin that have a 1 month wait to get shipped =.=  And of course the pvc is all pvc glued together so there's not popping it apart and using the pieces on the new container that will fit.. grrrr

Well didn't take a month thankfully.  Bins came in, will be drilling this weekend.

032_zpsxehew2eq.jpg

On the goldfish front the other fully grown jalepano were turned into a big chili base and portioned out then bagged and frozen for easy use later. Still have a ton of peppers on the plant but the rest aren't quite long enough to harvest yet.  We're looking into ways to dry them to preserve.. its too humid here to do the simple air dry and our oven gets too hot for oven drying, may try toaster oven.  Pasil Bajo pepper are growing fast and starting to pop out peppers all over too.

045_zpsvqbefaqz.jpg
048_zps66elvi2p.jpg

I also grabbed a white onion at the store that had a tough of green poking out (never see this) and stuffed it on the goldfish tank for the heck of it.  Worst case its a back up onion for when we forget to buy/run out.

049_zpsxhmnyj3p.jpg

In other news the newest betta (still need to name) is healing up nicely and put on some weight.  have the mystery onion, a piece of garlic and some green onion seeds going on his tank

028_zpsbkbayhih.jpg
029_zps5xgiqn6y.jpg
024_zpskbmzwnua.jpg
025_zpssqeo8hnw.jpg

The otehr tanks I reseeded to try to grow some more plants. using paper towel to keep seeds form falling too deep into the cracks.

031_zps5erhe4o8.jpg
033_zpsfxcrxpet.jpg
034_zpsdrjkemck.jpg
038_zpsdojrhl6b.jpg

And on a random final note: one of my few remaining house plants.. still tiny but eventually leaves should be the size of dinner plats!

036_zpspsxawhld.jpg

Everything looks great!!!!

Everything looks great!!!!

Thanks ^^

Ugh i hurt al over!! been scraping silicone out of the 40g breeder to re-silicone.

Tangerine, Ginger, Very Berry and the unnamed nerite are all in a 75g which has its clay media added and seeds put in.  They're going to help mini cycle it.  I have their tanks' media in a bin with ammonia and an air stone.  Tangerine has been weirdly skittish in the large 75g so I plopped the fake plant in and she seems a bit calmer with ti to hide behind.  Ginger is taking it all in stride and casually swims over to tangerine when she spazes to the other end of the tank... no other signs to show a health issue (still eating well, poop right color, no clamped fins, sbd, or external parasites/busing etc).. guess she's just never been in such a big empty tank?  Added a few caps of prime to bind ammonia when they went in and will do aggressive water changes to keep things clean.  Not putting in their 40g's media because of an algae issue I font' want to spread to another tank.

Will add photos later

Snowed in here but hey.. They're sprouting!! I'm too short to see into the bins without climbing up the frame or using a chair but the tomatoes and cucumbers are sprouted!  Can't see jalapeno and pasil bajo pepper seeds to see if they're open yet.  Plugged the t5s in.  Will get photos tomorrow.

Sorry for photo delay, here's a photo dump from 75g work, photos are 2-3 weeks old, will update with more recent photos later

015_zpszbzravn0.jpg
016_zpshj6y5smm.jpg
017_zpsd79yuqnm.jpg
018_zpsslsbpky2.jpg
019_zpsjyygbr72.jpg
021_zpsbmk6hosu.jpg
001_zpslvv7mfon.jpg
002_zpsxfmluu4x.jpg
003_zpsegq4lsar.jpg
005_zpsqhx9gnkn.jpg
006_zpsibgk2pov.jpg
009_zpstmyp4xws.jpg
011_zpsyvshh0yf.jpg
012_zpsq36exhbu.jpg
014_zpsmmoo5cgo.jpg
014%20copy_zps9xjk2w54.jpg

photos from today

022_zpsh6a1dcov.jpg
024_zpsutmtodbb.jpg
025_zpsemgwppxr.jpg
026_zpsdyz1aypt.jpg
027_zps7guvaf5i.jpg
029_zpsziec9iuo.jpg
030_zpsxaehqalc.jpg
032_zpsiqwlgrq8.jpg
034_zps3ifwd5ca.jpg

Edited by AquaAurora

ugh FML the led over the lettuce (goldfish tank) broke and pulsates instead of staying constantly on.  When I unplug it the light pulses 3 more times before turning off ... very annoying (glad I'm not prone to seizures).  Luckily I have some spare clamp lights to use until I get a new LED, still very frustrating.

40g goldfish tank

Used some clamp lights when LED broke
010_zpszuyhooqp.jpg
Got new 4' 4 bulb t5 6500k bulbs-cost as much as replacing the led but gives a wider spread of light.
024_zpsme6bpqlz.jpg
025_zpsivsvbw5f.jpg
Tangerine and Ginger are doing well.  Put an old light from a 10g above them-zip tied to the shelving
033_zpsruwwf96z.jpg
Lettuce(left and center) and spinach (far right)
039_zpsfxsfajv4.jpg

Need to take an update shot-brought the chives and green onions down tog row in soil using the extra light

Will update with photos of 75g this week.

Edited by AquaAurora

They look great!!!!

Leafy greens up top-photo taken today
011_zpswhlicyam.jpg

They look great!!!!

Thank you ^^ They're doing well, and due for a water change today

Kinda not into updating as much since photobucket decided to be a royal [censor] with the $399 a year charge to use its uploads on forums/eBay/etc...can't edit old posts to update with photos uploaded else where so kinda just threw hands up in the air, said "[censor] it" and stopped.. but I'll give an update since I can attach images here... side question: how do I delete unwanted attachments (sold items from for sale section)?

Anyways update time.. Tangerine and Ginger the female orandas are still in the 40g breeder, still have aquaponics above to help with nitrates.  Had to rip out the old lettuce because a heat spell made it shoot up blooms which makes the leaves bitter.  Tried planting kale and mustard greens for my husband along with new lettuce seeds.. but the first 2 are stunted while the lettuce hogs all the nutrients.. may also be a nutrient deficiency going on-need to look into that.  Fished them out for some photos and a weigh in

Tangeirn 36 grams, about 3" body

orderd skyblue reeived 028.JPGorderd skyblue reeived 030.JPG

Ginger 34 grams just under 3" body

orderd skyblue reeived 039.JPGorderd skyblue reeived 044.JPG

Because the plants weren't growing the way I wanted I decided to get a 3rd goldfish-a calio fantail (my favorite) ideally female.  A very kind member did offer me a few of theirs to pick from, unfortunately the ones closer to coloration I wanted were male-their female was lovely but not enough orange for what I was looking for -looks almost like a dalmatian! 

I decided to go to a far away petstore.. kinda father than I prefer to go over the weekend with my husband and was lucky enough to find 3 calico fantails.. unfortunately 2 were in a tank be treated for tank lice, the young woman that cares for goldfish/koi showed me a lice on one fish man they're huge!  These 2 had a lot of black spots-mostly black with orange and tiny bit of white.  Didn't want to deal with lice even in a qt but fortunately the 3rd first, actually the first we saw was what I wanted, and my husband believes its the same calico we saw last summer at this store.  Soo ramble ramble we bought it the non lice infected goldfish.  Still debating on names.. if I stick to the food theme all I got is "Quinoa" (since we use a mutli colored variety).. anyways here's some crapy photso (she was NOT happy about the small container for sizing)

Unnamed 37 grams, little over 3"

orderd skyblue reeived 069.JPGorderd skyblue reeived 073.JPG

In the same pond that goldfish was there was also a white fantail.. i don't know proper coloration term-very metallic/shiny body scales but yellow tinted head/fins.  I didn't pay it much mind but the first night the calico was home all I could think about was the white one.. and how awesome it would be to have one of 'each color" + a tri color that had all 3 colors.. like a set!  So the next day my hubby humored me and came along for the long trip to go grab the other fantail.. not 100% on name yet.. lazy idea "Frosting" but may try something better?  The calico was very happy to have a familiar face in qt with them.  Btw she was having nothing to do with being caught-took a good 4 minutes and had to get her our from under a rock at the upper edge of the pond before she was caught...Looks more pink from above from crappy lack of lighting. 

Unnamed 32 grams and 3.5" ish? so technical.. neither new fish would keep straight for more accurate measuring

012.JPG006.JPG

SO I had to go grab a new larger qt tank since I have more fish than I intended (curse you lack of self control!!), have a heater and 2 air stones running from the same pump as the 40g breeder, and dosed with Prime to bind ammonia.  Doing minimum 4 week qt following this forums qt guidlines pinned thread.

Those that read about my last water bridge attempt not going so well.. I used silicone on pvc.. need to use pvc glue or rubber rings (can't find big enough here)  on pvc-silicone is for glass... fingers crossed teh glass bridge doesn't spring an air leak.

Once the 75gs are freed up after harvesting talapia I'll move these guys into a 75g and decided if I want to do aquatic plants, aquaponics, or riparium setup.

Edited by AquaAurora

So glad you found what you wanted. Pretty calico. 

Gorgeous Fish.  I have a white one with yellow, like yours

19 hours ago, AquaAurora said:

how do I delete unwanted attachments (sold items from for sale section)?

Are you talking about links to Photobuckets? That would be you can't edit it :( after 10 mins :( 

8 hours ago, koko said:

Are you talking about links to Photobuckets? That would be you can't edit it :( after 10 mins :( 

No I am talking about deleting images attached from computer. not a image host site.

There's a section called "my attachments" under the username at the top right of the page but I don't see a "delete" option there https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/attachments/

On 8/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, mjfromga said:

So glad you found what you wanted. Pretty calico. 

Thank you ^^

On 8/14/2017 at 6:18 PM, FishyMandy said:

Gorgeous Fish.  I have a white one with yellow, like yours

Thank you ^^

Don't tell the other goldies but I like the white one the most

Side note I think I have a magnesium deficiency in my aquaponics.. you can use epsom salt but sites tat give amounts say 1 tablespoon for 1000 gallons... clearly no where near that amount of water so I have to add just a few granuals .. if you add too much it drops calcium and that will mess with plants and my nerite snail.