Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

AquaAurora's Goldfish MTS Chronicles

I'm so sorry about Sprinkles :(

Your tanks and plants are looking amazing though!

On 1/16/2017 at 6:03 AM, FishyMandy said:

I'm so sorry about Sprinkles :(

Your tanks and plants are looking amazing though!

thank you.

few more shots-jalapano on 40g and 75g riparium plants

010_zpsuzit35xd.jpg
009_zpsfeo48qjw.jpg
011_zps9ff1mbgg.jpg
012_zpsbccnc4ok.jpg
013_zpskv118uov.jpg
014_zpsfqxq1vbj.jpg

Side note as I posted a thread in the give away section for my riparium plants, the 55g and the 75g plants, more photos from the 55g

015_zps1sxsffy7.jpg
016_zpsteia22hq.jpg
017_zpsrvmarkw6.jpg
018_zps4ufsbfti.jpg
020_zpsykyqiyxu.jpg

Edited by AquaAurora

Sorry for your loss. RIP Sprinkle's. Your plant's are GORGEOUS!!!!

On 1/17/2017 at 3:59 PM, DawnMichele said:

Sorry for your loss. RIP Sprinkle's. Your plant's are GORGEOUS!!!!

Thank you.

75g riparium medium plants are shipped out already.  Still looking for a home for my 55g jumbo plant package.. If I don't get any takers I may part them out instead of selling as a single pacakge, but I'd ask a few extra $ for time spent making boxes to ship individual plants.

In other news I think I'm at 6 jalapeno peppers now.  none big enough toe at yet but they're growing!

Waiting on some long plastic bins to come in the mail (supposedly could take up to 2 months x.x hope not that long) that will fit perfectly over the 75gs.  Once they're here the peppers are going on the 75gs along with cucumbers and tomatoes, then I'll be getting tilapia to grow/breed/eat. I need the 55g riparium gone asap so I can move the 75g aquatic plants to the 55g and get a proepr cycle on the canister filters (or most of a cycle) with ammonia before tilapia are bought.  Right now its just filtering nerite poo so definitely not built up to handle multiple several inch long fish.

Mini vent:I've found it rather frustrating that I can't find any site that gives specific ratio of fish to volume of water (or grow bed for aquaponics).  Just vague comments about 'over stocking slows growth and makes them more susceptible to disease' (from higher nitrates).... yeah great but what is 'over stocking' exactly with that species? *heavy sigh*

whatever, I'm buying small and will hopefully have veggies grown in big before fish get big.. then I get to figure out breeding..Talapia are mouth brooders so that should be fun, what I read on otehr mouth brooding male fish they don't eat while caring for eggs/fry so I don't want them breeding constantly or the males can starve or at least grow much much slower.  I'll likely get just a spare tank with filter and heater with 1 male and female will do it but again.. don't know minimum gallons per a fish...

Anyways I got 2 kinds of lettuce and some herbs I plant to grow over the 40g goldfish tank once I gut and redo its sump section.. if I don't have enough room for teh herbs I may take the riparium plants off the pond tanks by the 75gs and grow herbs there.

You can find information on stocking levels here.  You really should watch all of Dr. Storey's videos.  

The volume of the filters and grow beds should equal the fish tank volume,  and you should  should provide 10 gallons of  water in the system per pound of mature fish.  So for goldfish that mature at an average of one pound, you should 75 gallons of filter, grow bed, sumps, etc. for the 75 gallon tank.  That gives you 150 gallons in the system which you can stock with 15 little goldfish.  I say little goldfish, because the ratio of 10 gallons per pound of mature fish assumes that you will harvest the fish at maturity, so you never try to maintain full grown fish in the system.   If you wanted to maintain the mature goldfish in the system, you should have 20 gallons of system per goldfish.  These stocking levels assume you have medium in the filters and grow beds, so you don't actually have 20 gallons of water in the system per fish, but this ratio comes from experience, not math.

You harvest tilapia at an average size of 2 pounds per fish, so you should start with 20 gallons of system per tilapia fingerling.  

Big aquaculture systems grow 1 tilapia per 3 gallons of water, since tilapia can grow in filthy water.  When the fish have reached the desired size,  they get moved to clean water for a few weeks so they don't taste like pond muck.

52 minutes ago, shakaho said:

You can find information on stocking levels here.  You really should watch all of Dr. Storey's videos.  

The volume of the filters and grow beds should equal the fish tank volume,  and you should  should provide 10 gallons of  water in the system per pound of mature fish.  So for goldfish that mature at an average of one pound, you should 75 gallons of filter, grow bed, sumps, etc. for the 75 gallon tank.  That gives you 150 gallons in the system which you can stock with 15 little goldfish.  I say little goldfish, because the ratio of 10 gallons per pound of mature fish assumes that you will harvest the fish at maturity, so you never try to maintain full grown fish in the system.   If you wanted to maintain the mature goldfish in the system, you should have 20 gallons of system per goldfish.  These stocking levels assume you have medium in the filters and grow beds, so you don't actually have 20 gallons of water in the system per fish, but this ratio comes from experience, not math.

You harvest tilapia at an average size of 2 pounds per fish, so you should start with 20 gallons of system per tilapia fingerling.  

Big aquaculture systems grow 1 tilapia per 3 gallons of water, since tilapia can grow in filthy water.  When the fish have reached the desired size,  they get moved to clean water for a few weeks so they don't taste like pond muck.

Thank you for the link and input.  I'd actually found this video after posting.   I'd also found a few aquaponic forums that have different views on how you do the math, some base density off grow media volume (amusing minimum wet media needed for beneficial bacteria growth for consuming ammonia produced) more than water volume, others talk about increasing stocking levels by decreasing feedings to reduce waste produced... but I think I figured out how many I'll be keeping so all that's left is setting up the grow beds and getting the seeds started then buying fish.

Side note: not sure if I posted about it here before but I can't see ammonia readings with my tap due to high particulates count in the water.  Its been like this a while now, iw as hoping after construction was done at the water treatment plant it would be better but no.  I've tried several ammonia testing kits (different brands too) and can only get readings use distilled water (aka not my tap/city water) with ammonia added. So I get to cycle blind weee.  But I know the gist of how long it takes and have my handy dandy 4L bottle of Prime to help bind ammonia and nitrite along with water changes.  The 75gs can bladder snails in 1 tank and my remaining white clouds in the other to get a mini cycle going (will still have another cycle when tilapia go in).

I'll be growing herbs on some of my betta riparium tanks (aka the 2 pond pots in the fish room and my 3g bubble bowl).  I've putt eh seed sin shower caddies with some clay media and stuck ti on the tanks so they stay wet, see if they sprout. I've had success with putting the seeds on a paper towel on the wet grow media but didn't think to grab paper towel when seeing the caddies.  Seeds should sprout in 14-21 days.  Once they have gotten a little growth I'll be raoking the remaining riparium plants to make room for them.  I'm also debating about giving away my monstrously tall lucky bamboo and using the 2.5g its in to grow scallions.

21 minutes ago, AquaAurora said:

Side note: not sure if I posted about it here before but I can't see ammonia readings with my tap due to high particulates count in the water.  Its been like this a while now, iw as hoping after construction was done at the water treatment plant it would be better but no.  I've tried several ammonia testing kits (different brands too) and can only get readings use distilled water (aka not my tap/city water) with ammonia added. So I get to cycle blind weee.  But I know the gist of how long it takes and have my handy dandy 4L bottle of Prime to help bind ammonia and nitrite along with water changes.  The 75gs can bladder snails in 1 tank and my remaining white clouds in the other to get a mini cycle going (will still have another cycle when tilapia go in).

What filtration do you have?  You need more mechanical filtration if you have particulates in your tank water.  

Quilt batting does a great job of filtering particulates.  Fill a 55 gallon drum with your cloudy tap water.  Mount a container with holes in the bottom above that tank, fill it with quilt batting, and pump water from the bottom of the drum to the top of the quilt batting.  You should have clear water within a day.  You have to wash the top layers of quilt from time to time to keep thim from clogging.  Adding some koi clay to the water aggregates the particles which can speed the process.

12 minutes ago, shakaho said:

What filtration do you have?  You need more mechanical filtration if you have particulates in your tank water.  

Quilt batting does a great job of filtering particulates.  Fill a 55 gallon drum with your cloudy tap water.  Mount a container with holes in the bottom above that tank, fill it with quilt batting, and pump water from the bottom of the drum to the top of the quilt batting.  You should have clear water within a day.  You have to wash the top layers of quilt from time to time to keep thim from clogging.  Adding some koi clay to the water aggregates the particles which can speed the process.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008986EQO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

have bio media, clay media, and some foam media

I'll try that thank you.

You might get some additional filter pads for your Sun Sun and clean them frequently.  

061_zpsnt02tsjw.jpgedit: well seems I can't use photobucket to post images here/can't see images >.< wtf

Time for an update!

SO originally i was waiting on a storage container that would fit over the 75gs perfectly.  Even though I bought it through amazon prime it was not actually in stock and woudl take up to to months to ship.. on top of that it was a bit expensive.  So I canceled the order and my husband and I picked up some much cheaper clear storage bins at home depot-2 per a tank along with some 2" bulkheads to connect them and drain back into the tank.  I also got 4x 40 liter bags of Grow!t expanded clay media for the bins.  Now we're waiting on some metal shelving units to come in the mail because heaven forbid our local stores carry anything we actually want  "You want 60" long shelving unit? to bad! we only carry 48"!".. once everything is set up over the 75g my husband will 'pretty it up' for me with some wood paneling to hide the bins.

061_zpsnt02tsjw.jpg060_zpsedhylaru.jpg

Quick update photo of the pond pots with their lights off-the dumb cane is getting huge! It smothered out the polka dot plant for light.  My marble pothos is doing well, the n'joy pretty must just sits there.. I hate that i got such a small clipping, it takes forever to actually grow when they're so short =,=  My lil' round leaf plant is growing slowly (and adult has leaves the size of dinner plates) I may move it to a riaprium-wet roots- soon.

062_zpsdbi5ym7l.jpg
063_zpslyjcjwqd.jpg
065_zpsogpzcn4p.jpg
066_zpsahw5a0ic.jpg
064_zpsxuiyxas2.jpg

These plants won't be staying here but I am sprouting some seeds on the 75g by the window that I'll be moving soon.  I plant to take the riparium plants off my betta tanks/ponds and grow edibles instead.  Papillon will have cilantro, Ciel takes care of parsley, one of my newer betas in a 3.5g bubble bowl will have lemon mint, and I may be ;saving' a betta soon that's been sitting in a petstore for MONTHS, I dunno how he's not dead.  If he's still there once plants are grown enough I always have some cups with scallions/green onions that he'll help grow.  Green onions haven't sprouted yet as i sowed them just a few days ago.

067_zpsslthf47e.jpg
068_zps2gmaquiw.jpg
070_zpsbomfjun0.jpg
071_zpsp5hzbnxc.jpg

Onto the 40g breeder.  The jalapeno plant is going gang busters and has 16 or more peppers growing on it!!  The largest is shown in front of my hand-its about 3/4ths the length of an average store bought jalapeno so almost ready to harvest!  Also the pasilla bajo pepper finally started making peppers (I thought the jalapeno  was hogging all the nutrients).  Its just a small one.  I did a 98% water change this past Monday.. my back is still killing me from it-but I took out the sand and put Very Berry back in the tank.  With the dark substrate gone i can see the yellow of Ginger and Tangerine's bellies more clearly.  They don't want to hold still for in focus shots though >.<.  And finally last photos is the 26g tuffstuff bin I bought at tractor supply co to use as a grow bed when I redo the 40g tank.. right now it smells really bad so soaking it in a water+baking soda mixture to hopefully get rid of the stick.

024_zpsfoqkcgns.jpg
025_zps2stvy7hj.jpg
023_zpsutnlv6l7.jpg
022_zpscf3eufu0.jpg
040_zps3klispvr.jpg
038_zpszgcq0miz.jpg

On 1/26/2017 at 1:08 PM, shakaho said:

You might get some additional filter pads for your Sun Sun and clean them frequently.  

I have left over quilt batting from re-stuffing a pillow I put in the canisters and well check on/replace weekly.  Thank you for the input.

Edited by AquaAurora

ok now I can see my posted photos and can't edit to get rid of my meddling with it at the beginning of the post >.<

Will you put bell siphons in your growbeds to get fill and drain?  

59 minutes ago, AquaAurora said:

ok now I can see my posted photos and can't edit to get rid of my meddling with it at the beginning of the post >.<

I just changed the time to 15 mins :)

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Will you put bell siphons in your growbeds to get fill and drain?  

I'm not sure.. probably not as I did fine with a constant flow method when i had an NFT (pvc pipe plumed to canister filter outflow) and now with roots just right in tank water. 

1 hour ago, koko said:

I just changed the time to 15 mins :)

the edit post time? k.

I still wonder why the photobucket images didn't show for an hour.. i tried clearing cookie/cashe but still was just sort text.jpg instead of image.

2 hours ago, AquaAurora said:

I'm not sure.. probably not as I did fine with a constant flow method when i had an NFT (pvc pipe plumed to canister filter outflow) and now with roots just right in tank water. 

the edit post time? k.

I still wonder why the photobucket images didn't show for an hour.. i tried clearing cookie/cashe but still was just sort text.jpg instead of image.

It should just show up in the thread if you use the [img] tag one :)

28 minutes ago, koko said:

It should just show up in the thread if you use the [img] tag one :)

its working now and with my recent post n another thread so dunno why it was being a derp earlier.  Oh well at least I can see photos now.

. I'm hungry..

Somethings the internet goes into la la land :rofl

Me too :)

Does the Grow!t you have sunk or stay buoyant?

I had used a similar hydroton-type media in my pond one year. One bag sunk (useable for me). The other floated no matter how long I soaked it so I gave up.

What kind of lights and how long photoperiod for all these edibles? I have a 75 in my garage I am thinking of maybe trying something like this on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So ordered 2 sets of 5 shelf racks to set up aquaponics over the 75gs.. ordered at same time but place of origin scanned 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening so only 1 was deliver this weekend =,= and what's worse it was missing  a rather key part-a connector to join the bars used to give this thing height (kind of important)... hate the lack of quality control these days.  Anyways husband and 1 set up the 1 yesterday, may adjust shelf the grow beds are on down a bit, he did a little DIY to deal with the missing connector piece.  May change up design sightly and do 3 grow beds over each tank instead of 2

002_zpshuc8lfrj.jpg

On 2/4/2017 at 11:40 AM, Butterfly said:

Does the Grow!t you have sunk or stay buoyant?

I had used a similar hydroton-type media in my pond one year. One bag sunk (useable for me). The other floated no matter how long I soaked it so I gave up.

What kind of lights and how long photoperiod for all these edibles? I have a 75 in my garage I am thinking of maybe trying something like this on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine tends to float at first but does get water log and sink eventually.  I usually pre-rinse and sometimes soak in hot water before using.

lights are t5 4', 2 bulbs: 6500k and 3500k 54 wat ho (high output), photo period will be 13-16 hours. I also have a spare finnex planted LED 36" and some clamp lamps i can slap cfl bulbs in as needed.

Wow those look good :thumbs: 

Those pepper's look great!!!! 

2 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

PSST! Should we go and get some :teehee 

On 2/9/2017 at 5:01 PM, DawnMichele said:

On 2/9/2017 at 7:35 PM, koko said:

PSST! Should we go and get some :teehee 

My husband plans to make a chili using them once ready (going to very spicy with so many peppers!)

So Finally picked a pepper yesterday, the oldest one.  Husband cut and took a taste.  Said its very spicy-much more than the store bought kind and had a linger after warmth going down his throat.  He finely chopped a bit of it and put it in the clams and linguine meal he made for dinner.  I don't like spicy (or sea) food so I didn't have any.

001_zpsobwlock7.jpg
002_zpsnotzykmn.jpg
003_zpsoujoivpx.jpg

Time to by a big chunk-o-beef to make a few pots of chilli with!