Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

AquaAurora's Goldfish MTS Chronicles

I secretly want the swiss cheese pant to not do well riparium style so I can move my 20g long riparium planters (all of them) onto that pot ^^''

So fake plants came today and were shipped right back!  "silk" plants were more like a soft plastic, too rigid to be used for the bettas pond pots. 

I went to a local petstore that I'd bought some decent silk plants at before but they annoyingly don't have them any more grrr.

So onto amazon I go. to order the above mentioned plants (in my windowsill tank and qt), the larger silk plant costs 1/3 less than the small one O.o ..what? why? Whatever, guess I'll be using some light green on purple plant in there instead of the light green plants I planned (as I save nearly $15 buying the large plants). 

I'm also going to try my local dollar store and arts/craft store for cheap silk plants I can DIY, main thing to watch out for is metal-don't want metal rods in them, or foam, or 'pollen' dusting.

Amazon finally updated my heater order and now they'll be here Friday..glad I have the back up heaters (hope they don't over heat or fail on me).

I have to stay away from home depot for a while now as I eyes some other nice variations of Dieffenbachia (aka dumbcane) I'd by antihero pot (and betta.. and heater) for >.>'''

Edited by AquaAurora

Will the swiss cheese plant flower and fruit inside?  My Monstera produced lots of fruit this year, but it lives outside.

Will the swiss cheese plant flower and fruit inside?  My Monstera produced lots of fruit this year, but it lives outside.

I've not kept this plant before but I'd say "no" as it will get less light than an outdoor plant.  Also with just 1 betta for nitrogen it won't get much ammonia.  I'll let you know if I'm wrong though!

I've had a head ache for the past 48+ hours *grumble grumble* =.= Sorry in advance if this post seems grumpy.

Hydro Theo haters came in today for the pond pots.  I ordered them Sunday and they did not ship until eh day they were suppose to BE HER, then they show up today instead of tomorrow as listed.. ugh.

Also the Fake plants I ordered yesterday showed up O.o.  Annoyingly the photo example of them is wrong and they have plastic jagged 'grass' of death on them.  Debating if I want to strip the plastic additions off or just send them back...Why is finding good silk plants so [censor] hard?

So I'm already itching to meddle with the pond pots.. thinking of using a smaller planter and adding more plants along the rim...Also thinking of buying 1 more and getting some light colored krylon fushion spray paint.  Maybe white or some pastel-ish hue if there is one.. or maybe a white base with thin coat of green on top, paint the inside of the pot then letting dry and shuffling plants/gravel/fish over and dry out and paint the next..(then have 1 extra pot at he end, ah darn guess I should get another betta ^^ ) Why do all this? Because I can't see the fish with a flash light most of the day.  At lunch time I can as sun hit the pond just right, but rest of the time its hard to see my shy boy... the king has no problem coming to the surface so he's easy enough to spot but you can't really enjoy him as a dark shape in the dark water.

In other news added bubble wand thing to the goldfish tanks.  The shorter one I put in the 40g breeder is good, had to hold it down with the rocks, but constant line of bubbles... eh 75g's not so happy with.  I'm using an airpump rated for 350g~ tank and seeing gaps were no bubbles are coming out of the tubing grr also it won't stay down so gotta get more small rocks ..  You have to cut the tube to length then super glue on the adapter for air lien so you can't send it back.. and I know I didn't get glue on the tubing,the bad area isn't even near the end I cut and glued.

I also stuffed media foam behind the faux wall in the riparium, just need to get some black foam to put in front of it.

Sadly the nerites I put in the 75g died.. I guess the No planaria stuff leaves a lasting snail killing side effect even after 200%+ water change, such a shame, they were big lovely snails.  I do NOT want a bn pleco so I'll just wait several months and try again.

Going to stuff media in the filter and hopefully get the water bridge official on the tank this weekend so I can start up the filter... I also need to get polycarbinate (lexan) for lids.. yeah the mod I tried on the acrylic did not work, it bowed still and popped off the trim I siliconed on >.<

So here's some quick photos..

005_zpsmsb0fn1w.jpg
007_zpsycevsp0h.jpg

Can you spot the king betta?

008_zpsuvgeymsj.jpg

And Very Berry giving smooches

001_zpsermxcic4.jpg

Well the swiss cheese plant did not make it.. after a week it had rotted and the water was smelling foul! I'm not sure if it was transplant shock or it just doesn't like having its roots in water. I moved the betta of a recently vacated tank (one of my older betta boys had to be put down last week :c ), pulled the lout from the pot and dumped it in the compost, not sure if I'll re-use the clay media that was in with it as it still smells >.<  Rinsed out the pot and substrate.  Probably going to move my 20g riparium plants onto this pot and hand a light off the water bridge for it... or I may switch pot places and move the dumb cane pot over to between the tanks and put the other pot on the right side so I have more room for a light.

Turns out the nerites I put in the 75g aren't dead.. but they're not active.  I see them poke slightly out of their shell and they'll retract in when I pick them up/poke with feeding tongs, but they don't move around or eat... I put them in the 40g breeder as I know the smaller nerites in there are doing fine.  Hoping the big ones will start acting normal and I can try them in the 75g again... I shouldn't have bought them from petco, my last petco nerite was messed up and died (posted about it on an earlier page).

Edited by AquaAurora

Shuffled things around, took the riparium plants off my 20g long and put them on the pond pots.  Not sure if I want to keep the purple waffle on the pot, move to the 75g riparium (2 others are on there), or sell them off

032_zpsb0bfed7z.jpg
040_zpsdvtnmkha.jpg

I also got a new betta for the empty pond pot.  The elephant ear plakat i was debating about getting when I bought eh double tail, poor thing has been at the store since Aug. at least.  Little stinker pulled a Houdini on me and vanished in the tank.  Finally found him with my husband's help (and a flash light) after pulling half the plants out.  He's what aquabid sellers would call a mustard elephant ear, but EEs more pale blue and yellow than other mustard bettas.  The blue in his body should color back up once he's settled in.  Here are some shots of him acclimatizing

037_zpskl49qifs.jpg
038_zpstkjvjdr4.jpg

I also tried the water bridge for several hours a few nights ago. Used an airline tube and an awkward position to stuff it up into the pipe ad suck out air.  My husband and I took turns pulling air out.  We left it for a few hours then took a peak and found about 1/3 of the water held gone back into the tanks and there was a large air pocket.  The water pressure is different in the water bridge than in the tanks so a leak in the water bridge lets in air instead of letting out water.  My husband pulled the bridge off and we're letting it dry out then going to seal it with pvc glue.  Hopefully we'll get that done this weekend.

On a random note my Alocasia Polly managed to produce seeds without a pollinator (bug or me) O.o  its on my 55g riparium

008_zps8lwu5cxt.jpg

Edited by AquaAurora

While my swiss cheese plant did not work out i got a little laugh out of finding an artificial one today when looking at fake aquatic plants.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+25949+34742&pcatid=34742

Edited by AquaAurora

I've been terrible keeping this updated, sorry! 

Hubby silicone sealed the water bridge and its been working great.  The canister filter however.. not so much =.=  It always gave me problems last time I used it but it just would not work .. i think I needed to replace a rubber 'foot' (not sure proepr term) in the pump area as it doesn't properly seal against another pert to pull water through and out of the canister back to the tank... could not find the part, and didn't not feel like paying the $$ for a complete replacement pump (lid of canister) so I dug out my old sunsuns 304-b.. or is it 403-b?  whatever it supposedly can pump 500+gph.  UV bulb is dead.. got replacement which also did not work so guesting socket is just [censor]ed, but i don't get electrocuted having my arms in the water while it runs so I'm not worried about it shocking fish.  Bought another of the same model sunsun *newer one has much easier to push down primer than my old one!) And put one canister on each time.. not what I originally planned but maybe I'll change to just using 1 canister between the 2 tanks with time.

more updates to come.. and photos

Love your betta pots.  Pretty concept with the plants.  Hope the fish do well.  Was thinking of a similar set up for white cloud minnows - don't want to deal with a heater. 

Had a swiss cheese plant long ago.  Left it behind in a long distance move.  Miss it...that, and the Boston fern, and the Acerca palm also left behind.  I really should replace those.  Our Monstera is about seven years old, and a HUGE monster plant.  It spends most of the year on our front porch, but we bring it in (weighs about 80 lbs with the big pot) for the winter.  However, not sure if it will even fit in the house this year.  We may have to just cut it back almost entirely, and hope for the best.

The plants you sent me are doing well, and look pretty. 

Thanks.

Edited by Distaff

Love your betta pots.  Pretty concept with the plants.  Hope the fish do well.  Was thinking of a similar set up for white cloud minnows - don't want to deal with a heater. 

Had a swiss cheese plant long ago.  Left it behind in a long distance move.  Miss it...that, and the Boston fern, and the Acerca palm also left behind.  I really should replace those.  Our Monstera is about seven years old, and a HUGE monster plant.  It spends most of the year on our front porch, but we bring it in (weighs about 80 lbs with the big pot) for the winter.  However, not sure if it will even fit in the house this year.  We may have to just cut it back almost entirely, and hope for the best.

The plants you sent me are doing well, and look pretty. 

Thanks.

Thanks and glad to hear the plants are doing well ^^

The dumb cane i replaced it with is doing well on the pond pot, I also tossed on some purple waffle that I've grown riparium style for several years... need to trim ti though as it gets too tall it drops into the tank. 

Will post update photos of the tanks and pond pots .. maybe tomorrow..

so not the 'tomorrow' I'd planned but photobucket was being a [censor] and down for maintenance when I wanted to post photos... hers some photo spams from the past month!

005_zpster0ilpk.jpg
008_zps67pb48m3.jpg
009_zps9rhnow3b.jpg
010_zpszhdj21le.jpg

005_zpster0ilpk.jpg
008_zps67pb48m3.jpg
009_zps9rhnow3b.jpg
010_zpszhdj21le.jpg

001_zpsxursuqcv.jpg
003_zpsdtonomt4.jpg004_zps7rkr44ib.jpg

006_zpssduzcmp1.jpg

and photos from today
011_zpspicpcrhz.jpg
014_zpsd7mukynp.jpg
015_zpsbxooplgh.jpg
017_zps2ujxkwp7.jpg
011_zpsknrwclr6.jpg
012_zpszfoj3lpr.jpg
013_zps28dot5jm.jpg
014_zpsdcfexasm.jpg
015_zpsweiq3xgu.jpg
020_zps2ce5m9pb.jpg
021_zps6uuc1uhb.jpg
022_zpsva2ov1tp.jpg
023_zpswjjzunor.jpg
024_zpsq1ghmmkb.jpg
025_zpsgupekdfc.jpg
026_zpszync0lq6.jpg
030_zps71hxtuit.jpg
032_zps6yjx8xpd.jpg
044_zpsy32tmib0.jpg

Wow that looks great! I love your calico too

FML =.=

So the water bridge that cost more than the 2 75g tanks combined.. had critical failure.. and the pump I used to move water from one tank to another to keep the bridge's water from going stagnate...well that pushed 12-15 gallons of water into one tank and with nowhere to go (sice water bddige had broken its seal, the water dumped out the tank >.<

I was lucky enough the rubermaid bin under the tank caught ~10 gallons of the mess but it was still a disaster.

Lesson learned: Don't use silicone to seal critical plastics together-silicone if for glass... pvs glue is for plastics.

Oh dear! I hope there wasn't too much water damage

Oh dear! I hope there wasn't too much water damage

thankfully not too bad.  Hardwood needs some oil soap still.. and carpeted basement needed a wetvac clean-ceiling drained and dried out so quick re-spackle will fix it.

had 3 loads of laundry from all the towels used to clean up the mess x.x

Will be keeping the tanks separate for now... may cut out the silicone and pvc glue the tube.. or maybe not (woudl hate to waste such expense pvc though).  I'm waiting until ginger and tangerine get to sexual maturity to see if they're 2 males.  If so I'll have to split the group and give either the boys, or Sprinkles one of the 75gs (and get more) and the other I'll get some bristol shubunkin in.

Our ups guy (very nice man) said the holiday havoc has already started so I won't be buying the Bristol until after the holidays.. maybe not until spring now.  Works fine for me, more time for plants to grow.

I need to do a clean in the main planted 75g, diatoms are all over and the 2 tiny nerites are cleaning but not fast enough and not the plant leaves.  If I didn't dislike dealing with plecos (poop and plant uprooting) I'd get a bn to nom the diatoms, but I really don't want to..

The 40g breeder has several seedlings going on the aquaponics now- spinach first batch just molded (seeds), tossed in a lot more seeds and of course 2 spouted in each planter so had to add more planters.  The pasilla bajo pepper also sprouted (sprout in photo above is jalapeño).

Photos to come

Edited by AquaAurora

Sorry to read about your bridge. 

Yup.  Silicone just doesn't adhere well enough to plastics/pvc to trust it with water. 

I passed up a button (?) fern like your above the other day at Lowe's.  Drove home wishing I'd picked it up (along with some tall lush acerca palms).  I love plants, but we just don't have a lot of window space in this house.  Winter is always about shuffling them around for extra sunlight. 

Uuuuugh  not a good past couple of days for me!  First the water bridge, last night I found out I have a Pinguecula on my eye (if you're squeamish don't look it up) which doesn't go away...and today I had a panic attack as I couldn't find Sprinkles in the tank.  She somehow got herself between the corner rock ad fuax tank wall (i have no [censor] idea how) I was mortified that she was dead, moved the rock and she swam away!  Oh thank god!  Lost several scales (I pulled over half a dozen out of the tank) but nothing else in the way of damage so I'm very happy she shouldn't have any complications.  Decided to guy the display area of the tank-took out the rocks and threw out the water sprite as it was overrun with algae and I was sick of fighting it.  Did a huge water change to clean up debris a bit.  Tank feels so empty without anything but goldfish in there.

Went out at lunch time with my hubby and picked up some fake plants from Michels.  They had metal in them but with a bit of work I pulled the metal wired out and cut down the base to silicone into a mold with gravel to act as an anchor (more info/photos on that later).  Will be 24-48 hours before they're ready.  I'd looked at petsmart first  but their fake plants were much smaller for the same price range.  I also grabbed 3 new nerite snails for the 75g. I cleaned off the plants and most of the back wall with a big water change yesterday but put the new ones in to help keep diatoms in check.

anyways photo spam

empty tank is empty

026_zpsckfwvrpx.jpg

jalapeño

025_zpsn6i72rti.jpg

pasilla bajo

024_zpsqyu0xxk7.jpg
023_zpslkiepo8r.jpg

spinach
022_zpsath2l48w.jpg
021_zpsayyohhgn.jpg
020_zpsorutqnve.jpg
019_zpszvdhace4.jpg

new nerites-the baseball cap/black cap nerite is HUGE

sspall%20031_zpsptoivrrp.jpg

other nerite residents (you can see both if you look closely)

sspall%20032_zpsnmv9sby7.jpg

planted 75g
sspall%20034_zpsyvcpiuqz.jpg
sspall%20033_zpshwakumjo.jpg
sspall%20036_zpstw6afwcc.jpg

Sorry to read about your bridge. 

Yup.  Silicone just doesn't adhere well enough to plastics/pvc to trust it with water. 

I passed up a button (?) fern like your above the other day at Lowe's.  Drove home wishing I'd picked it up (along with some tall lush acerca palms).  I love plants, but we just don't have a lot of window space in this house.  Winter is always about shuffling them around for extra sunlight. 

Sucks because it help up for a few weeks.  Just glad I didn't have any fish in there yet.

Yep button fern, you could buy a cheap 6500k 13 watt cfl bulb and lamp or clamp work lamp to keep house plants happy in winter.

Edited by AquaAurora

Ok so got a bit done over the weekend! First up the new fake plant(s).

Took a few tries to get the molds right for anchoring down the new fake plants and turns out I'd bought 3 but one was plenty to fill up the tank!  The fake hosta on I got was too tall for the 40g breeder, adn teh 2nd of this same style jsut won't fit so I'll be selling it.

012_zpspf0rjkkq.jpg
020_zpsseogdime.jpg
022_zpsjujkok2t.jpg
025_zpsa4bl2yfs.jpg
028_zps5gxytrvx.jpg
021_zpsx7qcdxjr.jpg
029_zpsgrqnupij.jpg
030_zpsme9zcfdw.jpg

Took a bit of work to get them the way I wanted-they originally came with metal wire so I had to do a bit of DIY to remove those then anchor them.

The goldies love it-gives shade and line of sight break up to encourage them to go to the otehr side of the tank, and no fin damage so its not too rough.  As a reminder this is a 40g breeder but with faux walls so its about 30" long, 16" tall and 13" wide display area (may tweak later on as they grow-depending on who/if I need to separate due to gender and mating (attempt) chasing).

Will post more on other projects later, have to go feed fish right now.

Edited by AquaAurora

Forgot to take an update shot of the base of the fake plant in the 40g, messed with the rocks a little... and of course I tried to take a photo at feeding time so everyone decided to photobomb me =.= 

023_zpsyo0i2dgt.jpg
024_zpsb9nqylof.jpg
027_zps6j2dqx8u.jpg

waiting on my nerties to finish cleaning the glass, its much better than it was but not perfect yet

028_zps1mpi062x.jpg

With water bridge removed for the time being husband measured and cut lexan polycarbinate lids for the 75gs.  So happy to have lexan now instead of that [censor] bow-happy acrylic

007_zpsecqkuj6w.jpg

My husband also set up a pump with little water fall for his boy's pond pot.   I wish I'd taken a photo when it was first set up because sadly, the stone/clay statue he used was too soft and broke apart from the water flow.  Originally he drilled the bottom wide to feed some tubing into (the pump conveniently fit a siphon hose) and drilled 3 small holes at the mouth of the gargoyle.. but as you see they didn't last, nor the arms that the water flowed over.. took a quick shot before taking it off the tank and doing a large water change to remove the crumbled stone/clay bits.

011_zpsfxrz5uvn.jpg
088_zpsircbtoaq.jpg
090_zpsse1thsit.jpg

bumped it while handling-its very frail...

091_zpstzcgz2py.jpg

So we'll have to get better rocks and try again.

While doing a water change on Pallon's tank I put him in  a 6" cube to make it easier.  He wasn't too happy being in a small space but I took the chance to get a few photos.  he's at least 3", maybe slightly longer.  To be a true giant betta he has to be 3.5", but he's not full grown yet so we'll see if he gets there.. if not he's a half giant (aka king at petco).

032_zpswadchkf4.jpg
040_zpsnm0hoyd7.jpg
041_zpsud0qbcud.jpg
050_zpsnm9echgr.jpg

I also did a water change on Ciel's tank after and put him in the same cube, look how much smaller he is than Papllon!  he's a yellow salamander for coloration, he has more blue in his body but he looses that blue (gets pale) when scared in the cube so I couldn't get a good photo showed fully color.

060_zpstef1t2nh.jpg
066_zpsumorquxn.jpg
077_zps5m8oigu6.jpg

Ciel back in his tank

084_zps62g87ycd.jpg

And photos of their pond pots post water change

Ciel's.  Put curtains up over the closet (doors had been removed as they were sliding and broke many years ago from a guest staying in here).  The curtains make it easy to hang the light over Ciel's pot.  Had to take off the fitonia as it died from transplant shock (aka ripping its massive root system out when it was taken from the 20g long), put in a Dracaena deremensis 'Malaika' my husband liked from Homedapot.

078_zpsx65ido8q.jpg
079_zpsgnwqt26c.jpg

And Pallon's pot, changed out the purple waffle which was getting to tall and falling over for some polka-dot plants.. not what I wanted, wanted to get a hold of white veined Fittonia albivenis but could not find any locally :c I've had them before and they tended to get leggy, unlike fittonia which stays compact.. we'll see if these do the same or not (they're a  bit wilt-y since just transplanted).

Oh i also changed out the large pot I kept the dumb cane in for a smaller one.

085_zps8l1qapwm.jpg
086_zpsgbkwyh6w.jpg
087_zpskjwcpk91.jpg

SO i finally got round to weighing and measuring the gang.  Ginger has caught up to Tangerine in length and weight.  Sprinkles is doing well.   Tangerine wanted nothing to do with being caught for weighing.  Ginger and Sprinkles were mellow enough I could scoop them out in the bowl I weighed them in.

005_zpsrh9zqf0d.jpg
025_zps7eqgwa2l.jpg
029_zpsibtwlbcx.jpg
037_zps2hw2aicf.jpg
044_zpsaxddolfj.jpg
045_zpsblb54xvw.jpg
051_zpss1irst5o.jpg
053_zps36lr67ap.jpg
056_zpshw552myd.jpg
063_zpscl8yt2hh.jpg

And some shots of the aquaponics as well as water sprite growing under the surface in the sump
001_zpskgnzl9ou.jpg
002_zpsx86jhlvb.jpg
003_zpsx9gpmhqr.jpg

from the fish room, Papllonmade a golf ball sized bubble nest-very tall

007_zpscuc54ubm.jpg
008_zpspqdsmax2.jpg

made a waterfall fountain with a small pump in Ciel's tank + some smooth river rocks
012_zpslnkrqlx4.jpg
014_zpsok9vki8d.jpg

husband did something similar but with other scrap pipe parts on Papllon's tank
015_zpsaxzqdhix.jpg
017_zpsstao1vbv.jpg

baseball cap nerite and 75g.. plan to move the lilies and vals over to the riparium tank soon
018_zpsaywa1tnl.jpg
021_zpss8osgl8f.jpg

Oh he must feel so happy! Lovely big bubble nest!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I've never seen a bubble nest like that! Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a while, due for an update!

Sad news first.  I lost Sprinkles to dropsy. Ginger and Tangerine are fine though and its been over a month so I think they're in the clear.  They've been a bit more skittish without their 'big sister' around, but I don't want to add another fish to the tank.

I haven't weighed and measured them since last time but Ginger is now larger than Tangerine.  I managed to find (and lose sight of again) the ever elusive nerite snails in the 40g breeder.

Currently the tank is growing spinach and 2 kinds of peppers.  The pepper plants started blooming a few weeks ago and I've used some old (clean) tiny paint brushes to pollinate the plants.  The jalapeno is clearly the dominate grower and already has 3 peppers started!  I've harvested the spinach a few times so those plants are looking a little .. small at the moment.  Ton of duckweed and water sprite still in the back sump section helping with excess nitrates.

75gs are still fish less.  I'd moved the lilies and vals from the planted tank to the riparium and the vals have taken off in there sending out runners.

Plants keep changing and now I may not do shubunkins but instead an edible fish in the 75gs and change both into aquaponic systems.  I'd move the aquatic plants to my 55g and take the lights off my 55g riparium to use on the 75g not by the window.  This means tearing down the 55g riparium.. not sure what I'll do with my monster sized plants, some I've had for 3 years.  I'd love to sell them to someone else to enjoy but with their size, shipping would cost most than all the plants...I'll like getting to see into the tank and see fish again (right now the 55g i can't see anything with all the riparium roots!) but I'll miss the big house plants.. ah well more on that later.

photo bombardment

056_zpsiokg5bg8.jpg
057_zpsefddzztz.jpg
061_zps13zcvynm.jpg
063_zps2vanbroz.jpg
066_zpsw2ls5lys.jpg
067_zpsvp2syvz2.jpg

068_zpsrcqcacb4.jpg
070_zpskkm2hru1.jpg
071_zpsynkz19yf.jpg
072_zpsknmja2id.jpg
073_zpslkw3fjxg.jpg
074_zpscukdbg0k.jpg
075_zpskycbhptk.jpg
078_zpsskkfwrdd.jpg
079_zpsi2fwa1gc.jpg
080_zps6btwmjzm.jpg
081_zpsiowlfllp.jpg
082_zpsasmxk2mr.jpg
083_zpso8jnobzu.jpg
084_zpscgj6uenp.jpg
085_zps1zkiayzl.jpg
086_zpsigxldxct.jpg
088_zpsvus3ojrw.jpg
089_zpszpsuzotj.jpg
090_zpsge9t0g3p.jpg
091_zpsfms0hluv.jpg
092_zpswzd27d97.jpg
094_zpsqvg1ivzt.jpg
095_zpsmtuzhlhf.jpg

On 12/6/2016 at 5:14 PM, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Oh he must feel so happy! Lovely big bubble nest!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

On 12/7/2016 at 10:41 PM, Butterfly said:

I've never seen a bubble nest like that! Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a pretty happy gguy.  Even with his new pump making the water move he still managed to make a nest behind the planters (not as impressive in size though).