Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

AquaAurora's Goldfish MTS Chronicles

I spotted Very Berry on the substrate with no body parts sticking out of the shell like usual (foot was not out/no eyes/antenna etc).  For a second I was afraid the goldfish ate him/her so I pulled 'em out of the tank and checked-trapdoor still intact so they're just hiding out.  After getting over that initial scare I noticed something.. my mystery snail seems to be changing color O.o its going from an almost burgundy with lighter pink accents color to more solid color/starting to get a bit more purple.  This is my first (and currently only) mystery snail, is it common for them to darken up?

First photo is by goldfish tank (where the other snail photos have been taken) which has 3000k T5 + 7000k LEDS, second photo is by 20g long with 6500k cfl bulbs.

009_zpsfzl8vksb.jpg
012_zps8we5efao.jpg

Photo from last week to compare

049_zpsojif2apc.jpg

Edited by AquaAurora

Great shots, I'm loving your snail :)

Great shots, I'm loving your snail :)

Thanks ^^  Took a better comparison shot of it in the tank to show how much snail changed in a week

June 24--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------June 30

117_zpsa9gqpuce.jpg

Lettuce monster continues to grow

005_zpslyvebp5y.jpg

But hey it (and all that water sprite) are sucking up my nitrates! Tank on left, tap on right:5ppm!

001_zpspfrfjqpo.jpg

"Welcome to the jungle we got fun and games" popped into my head when I looked into the waster sprite mass

020_zps8cffwpyb.jpg

Some day I'll get some in focus shots of the goldfish again!

So update time!

Decided to sell off the anubias in my goldfish tank+ all the extras I had just hanging out in lit qt tanks.  Sold most of it to a forum member here (and shipped them out today).  Just have the small species left to sell (micro (rare) petite, and nana-great for a betta or other small tanks). 

Water sprite turned into a mounters mass on the goldfish tank so raffling it off in the Raffle sub forum, that ends this coming Saturday (9th), hope to have those shipped out next monday.

My husband had a simple salad using the lettuce grown on the goldfish tank last week, said it was delicious.  I haven't had any yet.  Biggest lettuce is 11" diameter! Cucumber blooms I keep dabbing with a paint brush to try to pollinate.. no signs of success yet but giving it time..may have to sprout a second plant.  Spinach is still small and has sown signs of magnesium deficiency.  Easy enough to fix with a tiny bit of Epsom salt (added a little last week).  Also shown: cucumber roots in sump section of tank.

006_zpspjrknijj.jpg

004_zpscp0o0xly.jpg

007_zps5gsllitm.jpg
013_zpsljbfcyrc.jpg

Took some photos of Chocolate and Sprinkles.. can never get both in a shot and in focus =,=.. I made a mini GIF of them dancing around eagerly waiting for food but can't figure out how to upload a video/animated GIF to photobucket grrr

almost a great shot but then Sprinkles hid behind Chocolate =.=
052_zpslsci5zhv.jpg

How most photos turn out:
050_zpslmxnqa64.jpg

After reading on modded gel foods I'm excited to finish the batch I have to try making my own, will still use soilnet green as the base but add some other yummies..

Thinking of using baby carrots, lettuce or cucumber, garlic, little bit of meat pie (another repashy gel), goldfish pellets, omega one flakes.  Will mess with amounts when I make it.

I have a ton of soilent green powder.  When I ordered it online somehow it left an extra soilent green in the cart which my husband kindly bought since he though I forget to order, so I have 2 huge containers of that.

Edited by AquaAurora

Going to pull out most of the water sprite today and try to make something loosely resembling a scape (instead of flaoting blob-o-plants), then see if the large amounts of remaining water sprite can fill just 1 or 2 packages for the raffle I have going (that ends in about 31 hours).

Edited by AquaAurora

Can't wait to see what you do! Love! :heart Love :heart  Love! :heart The way the watersprite looks in my tank! Would love more! Really hope it takes off so I can share some with the other tank.fingers_crossed_emoticon.gif

Wow that is a beautiful snail!

Some shots before I gutted the tank of water sprite.  They were not amused that I as holding a phone rather than their lunch.

017_zpsyq7ytyni.jpg
018_zpsqteybm4k.jpg

I shipped out 3 boxes of water sprite (and some sampler other plants) from my raffle thread.  Hopefully I'll be over flowing with water sprite again in a few months and can do another raok/raffle.  In the mean time I have a [censor] ton of salvinia minima in my various betta tanks if anyone wants 10x6" (or more) portion for cost of shipping drop me a pm.

So when I got my mystery snail the seller told me they don't like strong flow and prefer warmer temps than I have it at.. but the seller has seen recent photos and sees a little baffled that mine is growing faster than hers now (might be because I have just 1 so no growth stunting hormone fun).  But also the past 2 days I keep finding Very Berry at the stronger flow point in the tank: right under the spray bar output!  Guess when I cleaned the front and side glass i took a bit of their food away so now they're cleaning the otehr side by the filter a lot.

001_zps9auddfqb.jpg
002_zps6wbzhlh3.jpg

Last photo of sexy lettuce for a while, having family over tonight and am going to hack off a lot of leaves for a salad!

009_zpsm9ltcwet.jpg
008_zpsx5cpxpnc.jpg

Also WOOT CUBUMBER BABIES!!!

007_zpsscowuupv.jpg

Can't wait to see what you do! Love! :heart Love :heart  Love! :heart The way the watersprite looks in my tank! Would love more! Really hope it takes off so I can share some with the other tank.fingers_crossed_emoticon.gif

Will post photos of the tank tomorrow ^^

Loving your blog!! :) Plants are gorgeous. 

Thank you ^^

Wow that is a beautiful snail!

Thanks ^^ I got it from a forum memeber on a bettfish specific forum.  If you want I can ask if they have ebay/aquabid accounts and are selling snails still.

Edited by AquaAurora

Aw thanks but I wouldn't be able to get any anyway, All the way in Australia here!

First up, lettuce post dinner shot.  Not much of a dent in it, just bottom leaves.

010_zpsk4uumsar.jpg

Empty tank + how I keep the water sprite in place: glass beads+ fishing line!

005_zps8os7tbck.jpg
006_zpsbeystwkn.jpg
007_zpsxadcwf7p.jpg

And finally some post rescaping shots
006_zps9szn5idb.jpg

017_zpsjpefneeb.jpg

Sprinkles is explaining or plotting something!
020_zpsjgwzcime.jpg
032_zpsdji42fkn.jpg
011_zpsq1crgrg6.jpg
012_zpspontf2sh.jpg
013_zpsusfmzcmt.jpg
016_zpsojxidhlz.jpg
020_zpsx1pucbfu.jpg

Aw thanks but I wouldn't be able to get any anyway, All the way in Australia here!

Opps sorry I keep forgetting to check info under avatar for locations ^^''

I've heard Australia has some very strict import limitations and high fees.  Must not be fun trying to get a hold of the rarer stuff there :c

:thumbup2:

^^

Edited by AquaAurora

Home made gel food time!  I didn't buy anything for this, just used what I had available at the house.

So 2 days ago my husband had tuna casserole (i don't eat fish/shellfish-any other fish keepers that don't eat these foods?  i didn't like them even before I kept fish as pets).  I strained off the water a safe some tiny tuna scraps that i put in the fridge in a sealed cup.  Today i decided to use them + some other foods around the house to make a better gel food for the goldfish!  Didn't get photos of everything but most of it. 

some baby carrots boiling (these took forever to soften up enough).

004_zpsy2omgjpf.jpg

sliced cucumbers that were frozen but I thawed in microwave, de-skinned, also water leftover from nuking cucumber (using later)
006_zpshowhcr2t.jpg
007_zpsykm2ccp3.jpg
010_zpsn2uylxxb.jpg

Hikari algae wafers, Omega One tropical fish flakes, and Hikari goldfish pellets.  Chopped up and soaked Hikari products in the still hot cucumber water.

011_zpssrzguihz.jpg

013_zpsxkoguc2z.jpg
015_zpseqztf4dt.jpg

Garlic cloves diced and boiled with carrots

005_zpskxgtvz96.jpg
008_zpsgfeh2tpl.jpg
009_zps45h7sru8.jpg

017_zpsojakhqml.jpg

Cucumber and 1 orange slice diced up, also carrots and garlic post boiling
018_zpshinxxbgz.jpg
012_zpsbsrlpxlf.jpg
019_zps2q7kmkzw.jpg

Poured water from carrot/garlic boil onto Hikari foods, let sit a while until softened, those+ flakes plopped on top of fruit/veggies
020_zpscbrwkvxc.jpg
021_zps2kyuszgs.jpg

Strained water from all food boiling/softening + tuna water 9and tiny bits of tuna)
023_zpsocb7sgh5.jpg

Repashy products: used 1/2 cup soilent green and 1/8 cup meat pie
024_zpslzrxe0os.jpg
025_zpsqnvvopee.jpg
026_zpsht1lflln.jpg

Post boil/cookie sheet cooling-1g bag. Bite size portions cut for lunch!
028_zpsnlxoxx6b.jpg
029_zpso6fpb1vk.jpg

Fish love it, theay eat it off the bottom faster than their regular soilent green only gel.  Will make a larger batch of non repashy add ins next time.

Edited by AquaAurora

Chocolate and Sprinkles have been loving the new food!  Usually when I feed the gel 1/2 or so ends up on the substrate and can take a half hour or so to be eaten.  This stuff gets sucked up fast, all gone in under 5-10 minutes!  I'm leaving it as a large thin sheet that I cut chunks off of for every meal, dice small, and thaw. 

Very Berry frequently hanging out completely out of the water by the lid when I open up for at least 2 of the meals during the day.  If it wasn't the only mystery snail in the tank I'd think it was going to lay eggs.  S/he keeps getting more purple, only the tip of the spiral has a bit of pink left in it now.

In unrelated news our 5.5 month old puppy Reeny (pembroke welsh corgi) has been loosing her puppy teeth fast, we've been keeping them in a small box and ahve over a dozen.. she looses at least 1 a week (that we find)!  She lost all her canines within the past week, they're growing back but only as long s the incisors at this point, so she doesn't hurt when she tries to bite, she also has a hard time latching onto ice cubes (given to help with sore gums from teething).  Reeny was spayed yesterday, she's still fairly lethargic which is odd for us as she's usually so hyper (but its good she's not-don't want to rip open the sutures).   No elizabethan collar for her yet as he's not bothering the area (hope this continues).

Quick shot of Very Berry.  S/he had a bit of shell damage when the crack/line was the end of their shell, possibly from falling onto a rock?  Hoping it'll heal/smooth over with time.

002_zpstzqknps9.jpg

Also cucumber size update, currently 1 big and 2 tiny ones growing.  I cross pollinate the flowers every 2-3 days.

005_zpsosh3jvow.jpg
006_zpsclkgdtrz.jpg

Hmm diatom-y, time to go at the glass with a utility blade!  You can see the mystery snail munch tracks through the algae.

004_zpsdy4hns8y.jpg
005_zpsmpy3rhmr.jpg

Grrrrr AAAAARRRGGG  I HAVE THE HICCUPS AND THEY WON'T FREAKING STOP!!!!

Sorry had to vent that, have had them all afternoon.. *hiccup* ugh

From yesterday:

Post cleaning above view look into the tank.  Water sprite is still growing fast.  I had to add more weights to 3 of the bunches as they were floating up.

018_zpsjdyzyr8t.jpg
019_zpsx9dszmw3.jpg
020_zpslla4s0p9.jpg
021_zpsokf4yy1n.jpg
023_zpslcq4yrvc.jpg

Front tank shots.  Pardon the messy-ness, tossed lunch in before this was taken

024_zpsq7vnd5zy.jpg
016_zpskumcnbvr.jpg

Today:

I gave them an orange slice a little before lunch time and they loved it!  But every time i tried to take a photo of them eating it they'd see me and com tot eh front/top of the tank "Food?" "You ahve food go eat it!"".... more food now?" =.=

014_zps0vzztt21.jpg

I've been debating setting up a DIY green house (using pvc, not sure about the cover yet though) as I'm too frugal to spend $1000+ on a green house.  If I do eventually do this I think I'd move my goldfish tank 55g and 20g long (all tanks outside office), as well as my living room betta tanks (maybe 3 of the 4) to the green house + get an above ground pond if i can find one that will fit (or maybe DIY a large tank with thick glass and plywood)then cram the place full of plants! 

Plus side: less electricity for lights and heater (use sun + green house effect) and year round jungle

down side: less tanks in active areas of the house/have to go outside to see tanks/feed fish.  Also have to figure out how to get water there in winter: outside hose is not an option as it freezes.

Green house would have to be:

sealed (top to bottom) to avoid bug getting in, have good insulated cover to keep temp constant (it gets cold here in winter) if I made operable sections I'd have to use fine mesh screen to keep anything from flying/falling in

handle snow.. we usually don't get a ton but last year we did.. i need it to at least last an over night heavy snow o be cleared in the morning.

allow sufficient light through for plant growth.

I might bail on the whole idea.. dunno just started researching into it.  If anyone keeps a green house I'd love to hear details on it from you.

Love the idea using glas beads with the water sprites. Keep up the posts! :)

I've bailed on the idea of a green house, while I'd love having less electricity used for heaters/lights, I don't want all my tanks out and away from main traffic areas of the home.. also the issue with water changes in winter... not to mention threat of [censor] holes breaking it, or tree branches falling on it causing disasters..would rather keep everything inside where its safe.

So instead I'm hunting around for 125g or 75g but having a hard time find anything at a good price.  New cost a fortune, most used cost more + need cleaning.. or cost a little less (but not at the price range I really want) and need repairs.. I'm quarry of used because there can be leaks/cracks/structural issues... but then everything now a days is made so [censor]ly its not like buying new is any guarantee against a tank exploding from being poorly put together.  I'm also a bit picky about what I'd take in use tanks.. don't like the wood trimmed tanks as I grew up with black trim=can hold water, wood trim=reptile/herp tank (aka not made to handle water pressure).  Also don't want anything drilled for a sump, just another leak disaster waiting to happen (yes I am a pessimist, but after the tank disaster I had with my 55g (twice!) don't want to set myself up for any excuse for another.)

If I get a 75g I can use the table the 55g is on now (and its lights), if i get a 125g I can get more fish but I need to do a custom (low) stand and get more lights...I'd end up doing the same diy in tank sump as the 40g breeder has and more my 55g's riparium onto the back /sump section along with filter(s) and heater(s), just have air stones/wands upfront.

I'd thought of just mounting some window planter baskets behind my 55g tank, move plants into that, and use a canister filter but I think I'd have the same issue as my first 55g disaster (view horror story subsection for thread on that) as it'd be very similar for the aquaponic setup I use to have.

My huge debate after i manage to get a hold of a tank is first, what to do with my current 55g tropical fish, and second do I want to put my 2 existing goldfish in the larger setup+ add more.. or only put new fish in there?  Being new to goldfish I'm not sure how well they do when a new fish is added. I know from a lot of reading of betta sororities you remove everyone, rearrange things, then release the new one first before all the previous fish to reduce aggression to the new gal (not a guarantee but a help)-same thing is good for adding new angelfish or ram cichlids to a tank than already has angels/rams.  But those are more aggressive species than goldfish...The pessimist in me says keep new separate from old, or else (even with quarantine) something nasty might get in and kill the originals.

Side tangent I wonder where I can find more fantails.. seems more places like selling ryukin, oranda, celestrial, ranchu, etc or mutts/mixes but not much for pure fantail love around here..

In other news I wasn't sure at first but today its clear, Sprinkles intentionally spits water at me when I open the lid to demand food!  First time she did it I thought "She's just gulping at the surface and accidentally shot some out".  Well today she shot me several times in a row and only stopped when food was presented. =.= Lil' stinker!

Love the idea using glas beads with the water sprites. Keep up the posts! :)

Will do ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

I've been trying to go through all of this but, wow! You've got a lot going on.  Too bad you nixed the greenhouse idea but I totally am there with you.  It is a big investment of time, energy and cash!  I would love a greenhouse too but no place to put it and also lack of aforementioned time, energy and cash to invest at the moment.

Love your cucs.  I grew bushels in my garden the last 2 years but let it go this year.  I just have some tomatoes and peppers growing and I don't know how they are surviving my neglect.

If you have time for finding the big tanks, I would suggest setting up alerts for new listings of aquarium/fish tanks on Craigslist.  It is how I found both of my 75s with stands.  I got mine from guys who ran reefs and they were fortunately relatively well taken care of and so far problem free.  There is a Craigslist app that is useful for following that stuff too.  Petsmart often has decent deals on 75g set ups too, that is where I got my 54g corner.  That Pet Place in Lancaster also sometimes has deals on sets and they also have used tanks for sale too, FWIW.

I've been trying to go through all of this but, wow! You've got a lot going on.  Too bad you nixed the greenhouse idea but I totally am there with you.  It is a big investment of time, energy and cash!  I would love a greenhouse too but no place to put it and also lack of aforementioned time, energy and cash to invest at the moment.

Love your cucs.  I grew bushels in my garden the last 2 years but let it go this year.  I just have some tomatoes and peppers growing and I don't know how they are surviving my neglect.

If you have time for finding the big tanks, I would suggest setting up alerts for new listings of aquarium/fish tanks on Craigslist.  It is how I found both of my 75s with stands.  I got mine from guys who ran reefs and they were fortunately relatively well taken care of and so far problem free.  There is a Craigslist app that is useful for following that stuff too.  Petsmart often has decent deals on 75g set ups too, that is where I got my 54g corner.  That Pet Place in Lancaster also sometimes has deals on sets and they also have used tanks for sale too, FWIW.

Hmm thought I'd submitted my reply but looks like not.

Thank you for reminding me about thatfishplace!  I went there once looking for blue eye gertrudea, they were out of stock, but I remember drooling over their big thanks.  Will have to give them a call!

Edited by AquaAurora

Some shots for a few days ago
Lettuce is looking more like a tree as the lower leaves are harvested for salads, look at that monster root/stem!
025_zpsfiy1siy4.jpg
024_zpsb8x5l3ok.jpg
028_zpsk3uwz0y4.jpg

Cucumber continues to grow, hoping it will fill out more evenly instead of looking like a gourd/squash
027_zpsjykk2e4y.jpg

A view of emersed grown water sprite under some of the smaller lettuce
030_zpsdpeizfk8.jpg

Chocolate hand feeding (Sprinkles did not want to be part of the photo op), you can really see the colors in this photo, love the bronze hue
050_zpsw9rp7zed.jpg

And Very Berry munching on cucumber
100_zpssxlwupsb.jpg

In other news I should be getting my husband's brother's used 75g+ extras this/next week.  For those that have read the horror story of the niece and the neon (tetras) he is not that one's father, different brother.  I'm hoping I can get a good deal on it.. I'm so itching for a tank I almost grabbed a 75g top fin at petsmart for $116 (deal ends at end of month).  If I hadn't already said we're buying from my in-law I'd get that tank and dig out my old canister filter, ten build a stand just high enough to let it work.

I want to decommission the 55g to take its plants, heater, and filter (plus substrate) for the new tank but hubby wants to keep the fish which means I don't get to tear the tank down... I keep trying to lessen my # of tanks but my husband keeps pushing for more!

While a the petsmart I looked at goldfish, nothing nice there, just generic solid orange (and very tiny) fancies.

More tank shorts,

showing full top section

002_zpsv9vlmhf4.jpg

Underwater-photos don't do it justice! Its a thick lush jungle of water sprite!
003_zpslsugewc5.jpg
005_zpsbjpcjxvh.jpg
009_zpso1pb7i95.jpg
013_zpsrz3izcrp.jpg
014_zpstlulmxn1.jpg

Whole lot of this happening: girl on girl chasing and egg noming, they'll take turns chasing eachother.
015_zpstuvpn629.jpg

I need to find the usb cable for my husband's camera, see if I can get better photos.

Clearly hubby is bit by the mts bug (though he doesn't maintain them) and wants to turn one of the guest rooms into a fish/plant room.  Have to haul the bed and other furniture out.  Will likely set up the 75g (once I get it from my brother in law) in there.

I'm itching to grab up some house plants I want to stick in there but trying to wait until the room is actually cleared out *fidget fidget*

Edited by AquaAurora

[CENSOR] YES!!! I got not 1 but 2! 2 freaking new 75gs for $75 each!!!!!  Call up all petcos in reasonable driving distance from you and see if they have 75g, their $ per a gallon sale is on and if they get 75g tanks in (though they shouldn't) they are part of the sale!!!  Had to make an hour drive each way but its soooooo worth it, the next cheapest 75g i could find within 2 hours of me is $130 for just 1 tank.

SOOOO FLIPPING HAPPY RIGHT NOW!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!

My brother in-law still hasn't dug up his old tank yet but if he does I'll just upgrade my tropical 55g to 75g (he'll be bummed as I'd now offer less $ since I found a cheaper tank, he should have pulled it out last weekend like he originally planned-would have gotten more money for it).  Gotta get some equipment then plants then go fish hunting!  I have 2 canister filters in storage (sunsun and jumbo eheim) I'll be using, just need heater(s) and light(s).  Husband will be building stands for the tanks since we don't trust that compressed wood/particle board junk most stores sell for stands.

Going to be doing a water bridge/connector between the tanks so it'll be like a 125g, hoping I can set up intake on one tank and output on the other to let water flow through both tanks.

here's a video on water bridges:

Unsure if we'll make it from glass (have some scrap, have to see how thick and long it is), or with pvc (more expensive but won't shatter when cutting like glass can).

http://www.bio-elite.co.za/waterbridge.htm

Going to do shubunkins in the connected tanks, just want to find a local (aka less than 2 hours or less drive) source. I don't like in philly and refuse to drive in there (omg the traffic on that road is a [censor] nightmare! Near accidents CONSTANTLY!! dunno how you philly locals can stand it) so will have to look in other towns around me.

Edited by AquaAurora