Kokos Goldfish Forum
AquaAurora

AquaAurora's Goldfish MTS Chronicles

So I'd taken in interest in goldfish at the beginning of the year and did a lot of research then but did not buy any.  I'd had different plans than what ultimately happened.. mainly putting them in a 55g not a 40g breeder with diy in tank sump/riparium system.

A little over a week ago I went to a non chain petstore to buy some live black worms as I needed to restock and my husband was drawn back tot eh goldfish section.  He was drawn in by a 'vert inelegant looking' blue oranga that was probably 5" minus fins.  Sadly the only other goldfish in its size range there were not types my husband or I liked.  But the hubby was really into that oranda but wanted 2 goldfish.  We left the store after buying black worms talking about getting them next week and my husband told em to turn around in less than 5 minutes and buy a smaller blue oranda and a calico we were eyeing. 

I already had a tank set up at home that had several large anubias going through a 1 month quarantine period in (anubias is susceptible to a contagious disease called rhizome rot-its already good to qt any new anubias for a month).  The tank has substrate, filter with media, heater, all we needed was a lid so my husband and I stopped by home depot on the way home and grabbed some Lexan (great cheap minimal lid-doesn't bow like thin acrylic, and doesn't shatter like glass).  Hubby cut the lid to fit while I acclimated.  I scavenged some media from other cycled tanks to help kick start the beneficial bacteria colonies for the goldies and was/am doing 15 gallon water changes every day and every 4 days about 25-30 gallons.  Dosing Seachem Prime daily to bind ammonia and nitrite during cycling too.

First 2-3 days the oranda was a bit shy and would go into the anubias when I took the lid off to feed.  Now its more bold and will come take food from y hand, both it and the fantail will peck at my hand, and the oranda also lets me it gently pet its fins.. fantail isn't quite at petting comfort level yet.  But I'm surprised how quickly they go to this, some of my bettas let me pet them but usually.  Still no names for them until I can be sure on gender.. fantail I'm 85% confident is female.. the oranda not so sure (hubby says its a he.. because he wants it to be male)

Current diet is Hikari sinking goldfish pellets (purple bag), repahsy soilent green, in frequent Hikari blood worms or brine shrimp, and a rarer treat of live black worms.  There is always some cucumber in the tank for them to nibble on, and I am hoping to grow lettuce and spinach for them on the tank to change that up a bit.

Tank Info:
Tank: 40 gallon breeder
Heater: Ehiem Jagar 150 watt
Filter: Aquatop submersible pump- 315 gph (with lots of foam and ceramic/bio media)
Lights: Finnex Planted + LED 36" + 1x 14 watt 6500k cfl in reflector lamp
Substrate: Black Diamond
Stand: re-claimed 40" table
Fauna:1 Oranda and 1 Fantail goldfish
Submerged Flora:
Anubias barteri 'broad leaf'
Anubias barteri 'wrinkle leave'
Water Sprite
Riparium?Aquaponic Flora:

Ornamental Sweet potato vine

Freindship palnt

coming soon(all organic):

Black seeded simpson Lettuce

Palco hybrid Spinach

Greek Oragano
Ferts:Seacehm Flourish line

Various tank and fish photos from first several days

003_zpsfqkbrtni.jpg
006_zpsyubqrg1w.jpg

017_zpsbytjk7vd.jpg
018_zpszwh0kbgw.jpg
025_zpsvd77ywvg.jpg
026_zpserv2sztc.jpg

lettuce seedlings floating on foam rafts in black worm culture tank until they get a little bigger

001_zpssrmxijct.jpg

Ornamental sweet potato vines and friendship plant

002_zpszfw912g8.jpg

Oregano and spinach elaves waiting to sprout

003_zpsiewinpab.jpg

Fantail finger nibbling+ both food begging.
005_zps79cbpg3x.jpg
012_zpsordbgz1z.jpg
015_zpsrfkwhuha.jpg

just got the first riparium plants set up after a 1 hour submerged dip in water to drawn out any possible pests..

003_zpseymaxsa7.jpg

They are not my first fish or plants.  I've been keeping planted aquariums since 2012 including various tropical community fish, dwarf shrimp and dwarf rainbow fish, white cloud mountain minnows, and lots of bettas (each with their own tank).  Enjoying the goldfish a lot in this first week+.. might have to sell off my tropical community fish so i can convert that  to a goldfish tank.

Edited by Helen
title change

Looking good!

You have beautiful fish and plants! :thumbup2:

We miss our Blue Oranda. :(

I like that idea of the foam to grow the seedlings in?

You have beautiful fish and plants! :thumbup2:

We miss our Blue Oranda. :(

I like that idea of the foam to grow the seedlings in?

Thank you, less messy than soil and easier to transfer to aquaponics after they grow

Looking good!

thanks ^^

Nice!!

Looks great!!!

I love the photo with your calico peeking between your fingers!

Looks like a great set-up! :)

Nice!!

Thanks

Looks great!!!

Thanks ^^

I love the photo with your calico peeking between your fingers!

Thank you, she's pecking my finger and trying to 'hide' from my view

Looks like a great set-up! :)

Thank you ^^

I need to find the usb adapter for the good camera, my phone doesn't do well with these constantly wiggly fish!

The oranda lets me pet it, fantail isn't too keen on petting yet though.   I'm actually not 100% if my fantail is a fantail or a ryukin that hasn't gotten eh accentuated back arch yet.. hope its not ryukin (nothing against ryukin, its just not what I wanted for a first goldfish).

006_zpsmfpumh8z.jpg
017_zps8qwltjeq.jpg

006_zps44xhlzqp.jpg
024_zpsbpenpc46.jpg
025_zps90ivny9v.jpg
032_zpsgb2mx8ud.jpg

Adjusted the lights, tossed a scallion on test tank 9far left) it grew a new blade of 'grass' in 2 days!  Also put on the sweetflag from my 20g long since it wasn't getting enough light.
001_zpshhpjc5py.jpg
002_zpsjd2qv5ex.jpg
003_zpscxq23upo.jpg

Oh I also stuffed aquacelar 70 foam media behind the cut outs in the lexan so the goldies can't get in the back section any more.  And got an air pump set up for them.  I think the outflow arrangement puts a lot of oxygen in the tank (i see bubbles at the opposite end) but sometimes I knock the spraybar under water which defeats it so air stone doesn't hurt ^^

I still need to add more black diamond and plant the sword plants I got from a RAOK.... right now they're just floating.

I don't think many of you are on the other forums I frequent (planted tank and bettafish specific themed forums), but on them I've talked about an angelfish I have (separate tank) caleld armelYumYum.  My husband named her when he first saw her as the tan/brown marking on her dorsal fin was the hue of carmel, and he was hungry haha.  Well my hubby finally decided on a name for the blue oranda, he wanted to use another yummy edible treat name and now calls him/her Chocolate for the bronze hue in its body (though I explained that will likely go away as they grow).  If I'd known he'd do a food name I might have bought an orange fantail instead to name Orange Sherbet (my favorite ice cream flavor... which I annoying have a heck of a time getting the good brands of around here >.< ), but as I have a spotted calico I named her Sprinkles to go along with the food theme.
I planted the swords I'd gotten as a raok last week finally.  SO far the goldies are leaving them be (not dug up or completely destroyed).. I expect to loose all the original leaves but knowing how resilient swords are from my very old Argentinian sword (only plant still alive from my first aquatic plant purchase many years ago) I'm not too worried.
Lettuce seedlings are about ready to go on the tank, and I think I'm going to try to take photos of the terrestrial plant growth from the angle shown below from now on to see growth easily-resting phone on tank trim so its always same angle/distance. I managed to get a decent shot of Chocolate .. wish the dorsal and top of the caudal was in focus too but the rest is.  Sprinkles doesn't want to hold still for a decent shot =.=
015_zpsogubdcyk.jpg
013_zpsxgf8rvib.jpg
003_zps6vcusmts.jpg
005_zpsg1wojpy0.jpg

Still no luck getting spinach seeds to sprout >.<

I have other anubias in various quarantine tanks that by mid/end of may I should be able to add to the tank.. except the pinto/marble that ones is too fancy to put around rough goldfish.

Will post photos later

So made some changes for terrestrial plants.. took out the ornamental sweet potato vines and sweet flag, also going to remove the friendship plant soon. I'm doing all vegetable -aquaponic style for above water plants.  Decided to grow the lettuce that's already spouted (its been moved to the tank), as well as some scallions and cucumbers.  The latter two I just got seeds for this week and sowed directly onto the expanded clay media in the shower caddies on the tank, should see spouts in 1-2 weeks ^^  Look forward to having some yummy organic home grown veggies this summer.  The scallion I'd put on the tank a few weeks ago is growing real fast.

Anubias are doing good, some are a bit more beat up than I'd prefer but there are new leaves coming in so yay!  Swords in front have lost most of their old leaves and have new healthy growth.  Goldies haven't dug them up yet, though one baby sword with short roots sometimes gets knocked loose when they swim through the plants.  I really need to find my bag of root tabs to stuff 1 under these plants.

Anubias in quarantine tanks are also doing good and I'm hoping to give them a did to remove algae and transfer them to the 40g breeder by the end of the month ^^

Fish are doing well.  Chocolate has no issues with handling but Sprinkles is still a bit iffy, she's most tolerant of touches at feeding time when preoccupied by trying to snag food before her tank mate.  Their tank has been doing well and nitrates are staying at about tap's nitrate range (5-10ppm). 

Just some photos after doing a water change.. need to get a better in focus shot of the tank.  The large green mass at the surface is all my water sprite.  its been my biggest nitrate absorber in the tank and more than tripled in mass from the amount I first added!

002_zpszgqcnprn.jpg

Sprinkles:"Food?"
015_zpsf0xvvolv.jpg

Waiting on those seeds to sprout....
006_zpss1yzac6y.jpg

Friendship plant.. I need to find another place for this once the veggies start growing so i can add more seeds/plants in the back.. anyone want this plant (its 2 large stems and several small stems)?
024_zpsj9p010hf.jpg

Cheap and easy seed sprouting: plastic zip bag, container, paper tower dampened with tank water and seeds.  Set in sunny window or under tank light and wait.  These are spinach seeds, for some reason the packet I'd gotten has a low sprouting % compared to my other veggies, lettuce for example was a 99% sprouting success in same setup).
019_zpsdlojg6sc.jpg
022_zpszemz7yip.jpg

Your tank's and Goldfish are beautiful!!!!!

Your tank's and Goldfish are beautiful!!!!!

Thank you ^^

So I transplanted the spinach seedling I got from my seed sprouting setup and tossed in what was left of my old spinach seeds to see if any others might sprout.  I also split up the cucumber seedlings between 2 planters, i may split them up more.  Cucumbers are showing some sighs of potassium deficiency (yellow pinholes started), so upped my potassium dosing.  I need to buy another shower caddie/planter or two to maximize available space for plants, soon I'll have to split up the lettuce seedlings.  Also need to pull out and sell the friendship plant. 

I have a TON of water sprite in the tank now, its been growing like mad.. wish I could put up a for sale thread in this forum for it but I'm not at the 200 post minimum yet to open the privilege for private messages.

Ah well have some photos

001_zpsdaxhkhxz.jpg
002_zpsk9mfzkfq.jpg
003_zps1hjllenl.jpg
005_zpse49vlp53.jpg

Pardon the diatoms, I'm letting them build up and will eventually buy either a mystery or more preferably a nerite snail... I hate female nerites though, their eggs are a real pain.  I did a big water cahnge earlier today but the fish have eaten since then so of course there's some more turds.. Should have used light brown gravel in the tank instead of black 'sand'.

Looks really good. I like your plant's.

Ended up buying a nerite, fingers crossed its not a girl!! I let the diatoms run wild before getting it. Amusingly when I went to buy the snail it was hauled out of the holding  tank with a pond snail riding its back.. abd had just deposited  eggs there.  The petco employee who runs the fish section pulled the smaller snail off and looked perplexed at the egg sack.  I told him what it was and laughed at that snail's choice of location.  The egg sack was scrubbed off and my snail was bagged and come home.  After a good long drip acclimation I put 'em in (after feeding the goldies so they would not be hungry and trying to have escargot).
Snail went to work but not anywhere I wanted... rather than clean the front tank glass and plant leaves it decided to clean the black back wall and stones anubias were tied too... ah well I won't have to worry about feeding it for a while.

Was happy to see snail still alive this morning and not a meal yet, Chocolate and Sprinkles don't even seem to notice it.

Current veggie count is 4 cucumbers, 4 lettuce, 7 scallions, and 7 spinach..tosed in a few more scallion seeds. I'll be thinning these plants out more as they grow.

Have some snail photos, a diatom-y tank, and quick view of the veggies.

007_zpsyr6vbbvm.jpg
005_zpsm5zmblx9.jpg
009_zpsgvsok8ls.jpg
012_zpsmht4hiey.jpg
013_zpsvgzjo95e.jpg
014_zpsunec6ntv.jpg
016_zpsavfansk4.jpg

Pretty snail!! :D I have a nerite in my betta tank, and thankfully it turned out to be a boy. lol

Pretty snail!! :D I have a nerite in my betta tank, and thankfully it turned out to be a boy. lol

Thanks, I really like the look of it. No eggs yet so I'm hopeful its male. Gotta think of an ice cream themed name for it to go along with the goldfish, but all that's come to mind so far is "moose tracks".

I've had 2 zebra nerites in the past in my 55g riparium before the terrestrial plants took over. The male is my avatar the female was a nightmare in my driftwood based tank.. freaking eggs EVERYWHERE!! And a real pain to get off. The male was killed by a betta that did not want to let it clean his tank when I put the nerite in to de-diatom, so I sold the female.

Any ice cream with "swirl" in the name should work.  

Any ice cream with "swirl" in the name should work.  

Good diea, I'll have to go look up teh multatudes of differnt iceacream names this weekend and find one.

I'm a bit disappointing my my nerite, he's so insanely slow going.. I put him on an anubias leaf at lunch time yesterday, 24 hours later he is still working the same leaf and not even 1/3 of it is clean yet.. ugh!! My pond snails clean faster!! But I don't want a population explosion (and it would be nuclear) with all the diatoms present for them to feed on... thus leading to dangerously high nitrates.  So I decided to start cleaning want I want clean and leave the rest for the nerite, I'm working on the anubias leaves during water changes with a paper towel, and then will get the front glass.  Between the rock and back/side walls and the entries slow eating habits I'd say its set for life.

Need to dip my qt anubias to get rid of pond snails then transfer them over tot eh goldfish tank.. also need to get to a landscaping yard some time to pick up some nicer looking rocks to tie the anubias too.

Oh I don't know if I mentioned it but a few weeks ago I found out both goldfish are girls!  At first I thought I saw mating behavior as Chocolate chased Sprinkles around and nipped at her crotch.  I thought "oh great I'm gonna end up with eggs and more goldfish that I don't have room for!" But then I saw Sprinkles do the same to Chocolate, and periodically they'd break off and eat the eggs they were releasing... that's some fresh roe!

Chocolate Caramel Swirl  :feedme