Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
AquaAurora

AquaAurora's Goldfish MTS Chronicles

245 posts in this topic

I hope the medical issues clear up fast and you can back to normalcy soon.

17 tanks! Wow! That's a lot. Sorry about your betta. Hoping she gets well too.

I'm thinking I will try some water Sprite in oneof my goldfish tanks. I have it all in betta tanks now. It would be great to get it going like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the medical issues clear up fast and you can back to normalcy soon.

17 tanks! Wow! That's a lot. Sorry about your betta. Hoping she gets well too.

I'm thinking I will try some water Sprite in oneof my goldfish tanks. I have it all in betta tanks now. It would be great to get it going like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never expected it to take over like this!  Just give it time, it took off originally floating at the surface before I finally weighed it down.  The substrate it shallow but roots are trying to spread across the whole tank.

Edited by AquaAurora

So jelly of the watersprite! My guys have taken to nibbling on it. :( After the first time you sent some, I was gone for almost a week and they were minimally fed. They ate the majority of it that week. All the silvinia was gone from the other tank when I got back too! :cry  figured that would happen, but was hoping the watersprite would make it through. Now that they have a taste for it, it  always gets nibbled on. Been thinking of setting up the 20 just to try and get it to grow.  :hummm  A little scared I'd feel the need to have a fishy in there though.  :doh11:

So jelly of the watersprite! My guys have taken to nibbling on it. :( After the first time you sent some, I was gone for almost a week and they were minimally fed. They ate the majority of it that week. All the silvinia was gone from the other tank when I got back too! :cry  figured that would happen, but was hoping the watersprite would make it through. Now that they have a taste for it, it  always gets nibbled on. Been thinking of setting up the 20 just to try and get it to grow.  :hummm  A little scared I'd feel the need to have a fishy in there though.  :doh11:

Sorry about that.  You can try giving them blanched veggies in the tank to nibble instead of the water sprite?  It doesn't take much to grow a simple steralite bin or bucket with a light (clamp on reflector lamp work great on these) and removed tank water is all it needs (a little ferts will help too but not mandatory).

If you want to replenish your salvinia and water sprite let me know.  They may have some diatoms or algae but I can spare a bit if you don't mind qt/dipping on your end.

Understand the want to put a fish in a plant only tank.  Itching to get the 75gs finished so I can get the bristols in there

Speaking of here's some plant photos from the bristol room

On the riparium

004_zpsn2wwovqv.jpg

005_zpsbqgnsqmb.jpg

006_zpse6a6d0tu.jpg

other room plants (not all of them)

008_zpsdjuydwsu.jpg

009_zpsvslxyax8.jpg

Those acrylic lids + lexan strips need to silicone 'em.

010_zpsny0ux7sg.jpg

And tank shots, need to do a water change and get eh canister set up, getting a little cloudy.  Also need to get off my bum and rinse sand >.>''

011_zpsrciuyg6y.jpg

012_zps5s77liqm.jpg

013_zpsel7z5bbx.jpg

014_zpskt7vxvog.jpg

Can't wait to see it all done!  :clapping:

~~~

Very generous of you!  :hug  mademyday.gif

Would/could a 5 gallon Lowe's bucket work?

I think I have one of those clip lights around here somewhere. I'd need a special kind of light bulb, right? Could I get it on Amazon?

What kind of ferts would you suggest? I have API Leaf Zone and API co2 booster (both unopened) and Seacam Flourish and possibly exel.(might have thrown that out)

Can't wait to see it all done!  :clapping:

~~~

Very generous of you!  :hug  mademyday.gif

Would/could a 5 gallon Lowe's bucket work?

I think I have one of those clip lights around here somewhere. I'd need a special kind of light bulb, right? Could I get it on Amazon?

What kind of ferts would you suggest? I have API Leaf Zone and API co2 booster (both unopened) and Seacam Flourish and possibly exel.(might have thrown that out)

Always happy to help fellow plant loving goldie owners ^^

Yes the generic lowes/home depot paint buckets work great, you don't need a 'special' bulb but a specific spectrum for best growth.

You can get the bulbs you need at lowes/home depot, I've even seen them at my grocery store.  You want a 13-14 watt cfl (this is equivalent for a 60w watt florescent bulb) 6500k (k-kelvin=measurement of color specrum-6500k is the 'sweet spot' but 600-7500k have been used successfully by plant growers, and sometimes high k value).

Packages should have an info sheet like the nutrients chart on food here is an example (not the right kelvin or watts)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41aR6yY6XPL.jpg

lights at home depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-6500K-T2-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-4-Pack-434399/203248911

shop around for prices, I can get these on sale for $5 (4 pack) sometimes.  Individual bulbs usually cost about $2.

Being able to aim the bulb downwards at the plants increases the strength of the light. Having its horizontal will give less light to the plants.

First make sure the clamp light you have takes a normal size bulb (some tiny tiny bulbs (the twist in part), also check the max watts the reflector light can take (usually a sticker on the reflector or around the cord tells you), you don't want to go over it with an overpowered bulb.  If you cannot find the reflecor lamp home depot/lowes have them-check their max watts before buying one is smaller and usually can only take weaker bulbs.  Home depos larger one is about $8-9 and I use it for many tanks.

If you don't have a spare, grab a light timer too, very helpful!  I usually have lights on 7.5 hours a day but goldfish is for 12-lights are raised high to reduce algae issues.  Average lights on for most plant people is 6-10 hours.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-6500K-T2-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-E-4-Pack-434399/203248911

Ferts are not mandatory but do help it grow faster.  I use Seachem Flourish liquid ferts but you do not have to get these, they kinda over priced and watered down (found out after buying). 

I use flourish, potassium, phosphorus in my 40g breeder.  I also dose a little iron but that's for the veggies on top.  I don't use Excel in the 40g (liquid co2 substitute) but you can, it doesn't hurt the water sprite (use it in another water sprite filled betta tank).  My water is naturally hard so I don't use some otehr ferts (i think there is a calcium and magnesium one?).  You don't have to buy a nitrogen source fert if you use removed tank water for the bucket (get the poop in there!).

You can get chap osmocote + root tabs on ebay and put in a little substrate, bury roots and stick in 1 root tab per 3" square area.  Root tabs last about 6-9 months.  If you want to get replacement plants from em I can include 2-3 root tabs.

Another pricy option is enriched substrates like amazonia or eco complete-ferts are soaked into substrate do not rinse before use.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

Thank you so much for all that! :rockon

Big Water change and "The Big Day"!

Sooo yesterday I planed to take out my mystery snail and 1 of the nerites (a red spot aka tiger) to put in other tanks and reduce bio load a little since the new goldies were about ready to go in.  Well what should have taken maybe 1-4 minutes to find some nerites turned into a whole day affair!  They were gone!  I found one in the front of the tank(baseball cap nerite) but the otehr 3 were MIA.  I realized one of the foam pads that keeps them int eh front section had come loose so I suspected they got into the sump area.  I was worried they got stuck against the pump ad killed!  I made a huge mess and had to take Sprinkles and the water sprite out, putting them in a large steralite tub so I could do 150% water change.  I found 1 MIA nerite (tiger) on the heater, it was drip acclaimed for y husband's 12g tank (have not see it since-about 24 hours). Aaand right as I typed that i found 'em flipped over with a snail trying to break into his(i hope his nor her) shell.  Doesn't smell dead so righted it and will see if it moves.

Anyways found the otehr 2 nerites but not before stirring up a [censor] ton of poop... so yeh massive water changing.  I thinned out the water sprite before putting the tank back together and have a RAOK thread (just pay cost of shipping for small flat rate box stuffed full of water sprite). Sprinkles was happy to get back in after it was all done.

Decided to weight sprinkles and take a comparison photo of her in the 1g cube to show against the new goldies. 37 grams.  cube it about 6"x6".  Also shot of the mystery snail, its getting BIG.  hard to imagine I was worries about it becoming a snack when it first arrived... Mystery snail is not bunking with my old betta boy, Xerxes (who seems to be pouting that he now has a roommate after being solo for 2 years).

002_zpsn7bcpkdl.jpg
008_zpsz4yzodrk.jpg
010_zpstyrqqyjs.jpg
011_zpsymq64dqn.jpg
017_zpslbgxltyf.jpg
021_zpsvjnwbivk.jpg
020_zpsejxvjf9u.jpg

So that was yesterday.  Today I started (still doing) drip acclamation of the new golies for the 40g breeder. I weighed them, golden is right on the verge of 13g(twiddles from 12-13 on scale), and the orange at 18g.  I drained their 10g qt tank and put it on the floor infront of the 40g, using an airline tube to siphon in water form the main tank to acclimate, also have an airstone running.  Hopefully Sprinkles plays nice with her new roomies (and they play nice with the nerites and water sprite).  Backup plan, if Sprinkels doesn't get along with others she gets moved to my 20g long. Anyways photos of the new guys

007_zpsxo8szsyt.jpg
009_zpsofgiyngj.jpg
017_zps7m4djx98.jpg
018_zps2ccxam9g.jpg

Since the little ones are in front of Sprinkels perspective wise they look larger.. not sure how she feels about the company yet.

027_zps6drp2vtn.jpg
030_zpsobzucwel.jpg

1 last shot of the mystery snail, saying hi on my desk.

036_zpsu3o0koff.jpg

Sprinkles looks sure looks like she is judging the noobs! :teehee

Your snail is Huge! :o

Hope everyone gets along and behaves themselves!

Sprinkles looks sure looks like she is judging the noobs! :teehee

Your snail is Huge! :o

Hope everyone gets along and behaves themselves!

Snail still has some more growing to do ^^  i think if they live long enough (read betta doesn't decide to kill it) it'll get almost 2x the size it is now.

Yeh she didn't seem to sure about her new tank mates while they were in the bag getting up to temp.  But they're all getting along fine so far, have had 4 meals together now, no noticeable chasing.nipping or nip damage.

Tried taking photso but the little ones are just complete blurs-won't hold still in their new big home >.< Will try to get photos again tomorrow-also have to ship out all the water sprite tomorrow-it went fast!

Btw my husband named them officially after they went in-The orange one is Tangerine, the bronze is Ginger. 

I noticed Tangerine has some fin defects today, his/her upper caudal fin is fused, and s/he is missing one of her anal fins.

I don't think I ever posted photos butI got some 9crappy) shots of 'Mustacheio' at Petsmart, the one photo he was in focus/not blurred another goldie photo bombs ugh.  Blur makes it hard to see but he has a decent wen going.

01_zpssfkrewhc.jpg

No we did not get him.  I hope he found a good home though (not a death bowl).

Edited by AquaAurora

FINALLY got a not completely out of focus photo of the trio!  Had to trick them by putting my fingers over teh tank (look like I was going to feed them).  Tangerine wasn't fooled, and in fact shocked that I'd use such a trick.  Sprinkles and Ginger on the other hand were just all "GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!!!"
021_zpsnfyhsq4h.jpg

Also decided to pick up a pencil and doodle after.. 12+ years? *suddenly feels old*  I use to do a lot of digital art with table but its been quite a while since traditional (i need an alt ctrl z for irl!).  Anyways I was thinking of painting the inside of the phone case back (its clear) so figured I should start practicing again.  If you get plants from me I may use your packing label as a doodle sheet.  You have been warned!

Refrenced loosely from old photos of Chocolate.  Debating if I want to put her on my phone case or a nondescript (aka not based on one I own) goldfish..

doodles%201crop_zpsfdz5g90l.jpg

Forgot to add.. I found out about a house plant called 'goldfish plant' (Columnea gloriosa) the other day, apparently its blooms look like goldfish if you give it some imagination.  Well I looked them up and apparently they can be a bit finicky to care for.. but today i saw one at a grocery store that looked healthy.  Almost bought it but I noticed it substrate/planting medium was not the best kind and was very wet (not good for it). Buuut since getting home I can't get the plant out of my head so i may swing buy tomorrow and grab it if its still there *fingers crossed* then hit up a garden center for some spahgnum moss (better media for this plant) and a toony goldfish like planter I saw.

Anyone keep this plant? If so tell me about how you care for it, show photos too! ^^

Edited by AquaAurora

I have a goldfish plant! Mostly i ignored it all summer, but im trying to take better care of it now, lol. It lives in a 4" pot in front of my window and flowers pretty regularly. I water it regularly, to keep it moist (but not damp). I wouldn't say it is hard to keep.

So picked up the goldfish plant and took forever picking out a planter for it.. turns out the toony goldfish-esk one was waaaay over priced and too big for this plant.  Ended up getting an orchid planter (very airy) and planned to put the Columnea gloriosa in there but it didn't look right so i put the new plant in a yellow-ish green glass jar/vase that was in the goldfish room (left by a guest some time ago).  Looks good in there with spahgnum moss.  I replanted my orchid into the orchid planter I got.

022_zpscjy45rtg.jpg
021_zpsumbejxzh.jpg
014_zpsn6lujpja.jpg
019_zpsmy11gbvi.jpg
024_zpsjfguowlx.jpg
023_zpsy9dlhbuu.jpg

Photos of other plants.  Swiss cheese plant and dieffenbachia

027_zpsyzags9gm.jpg
028_zpsnbuqk1ku.jpg

Hubby helped me move some furniture around and haul in our old couch for the fish room.  We'd had this thing since the first day we moved in together.  Our next door neighbor (sweet old man) had a furniture business and got to take peoples throw away furniture when he delivered new, so he gave us a free couch and end tables (also still have) to help fill our very empty new home. Anyways Reeny was happy to get up on it and check out the tank/sit with me.

031_zpssfawiagn.jpg

View from the couch (left to right side). 
033_zpskrfrdpcg.jpg
034_zps9m5ipd1g.jpg
035_zps9zzuwk7z.jpg
036_zpsug6rnaj1.jpg
039_zpsdplrbsom.jpg

Pardon the ehiem tubing, having set up the filter yet >.>''' Dumped my aquarium stuff in the starlite bins for now, have to figure out shelving/cabinets to store it in properly though.

I have a goldfish plant! Mostly i ignored it all summer, but im trying to take better care of it now, lol. It lives in a 4" pot in front of my window and flowers pretty regularly. I water it regularly, to keep it moist (but not damp). I wouldn't say it is hard to keep.

Thanks for the info.  Have any photos of yours?

Chris here... That Goldfish plant is very cool... I've never seen one... They do look a like goldfish... LOL!!! :gfish:

d58d2011a54a7de1495b3ef4b9f8f338.jpg991df3eb56534e3f27ace922dfcd4031.jpg

Mine I've only had a few months. It needs to be repotted, and ideally i would put it in a hanging basket. It does flower pretty often, though not too many at a time cause it is very little.

First time I saw one,I thought they were adorable!  Glad it was still there when you went back!  :hi5

Reeny! :heart  :wub:  :heart

Chris here... That Goldfish plant is very cool... I've never seen one... They do look a like goldfish... LOL!!! :gfish:

Try checking your local grocery stores (i fodn my at a semi low-end one) or home improvement centers, it may be sold regionally but you might find one.  Its an Epiphyte like orchids and takes similar care but appreciates bright (but non direct) sunlight, or a grow light.

d58d2011a54a7de1495b3ef4b9f8f338.jpg991df3eb56534e3f27ace922dfcd4031.jpg

Mine I've only had a few months. It needs to be repotted, and ideally i would put it in a hanging basket. It does flower pretty often, though not too many at a time cause it is very little.

That'll look nice in a hanging basket ^^

First time I saw one,I thought they were adorable!  Glad it was still there when you went back!  :hi5

Reeny! :heart  :wub:   :heart

That's why I looked into it, such a cute lil' plant, and thank you ^^

Yeh she can be adorable, when she's not being a hyper puppy >.> I think I got spoiled with the couch potato of a lab we use to have.

Photos of the trio in the 40g, also a peak at the sump side of the faux wall in tank.

050_zpsbzmiluyb.jpg
059_zpsejagxwnz.jpg
061_zpszlt7fwc3.jpg
064_zpszlvgieoh.jpg

Gotta love the water sprite!  Ammonia and nitrite 0ppm, nitrates 5-10ppm (same as tap) no mini cycle from cleaning some foam or adding the two new fish ^^ I really like how it looks emersed (growing above water), using it to hide the blue filter foam as it grows

001_zpsrhk9edmy.jpg

And if you're wondering about the aquaponics.. I scraped it when I did the big clean last week as nothing was growing because of all the water sprite, so just have more water sprite spread out in the back section to suck up even more nutrients.  Somehow duckweed got in the sump area months ago (going to blame them hitch hiking in on the pennywort that use to be in there) but duckweed doesn't get into the display area.. or if it does the goldies eat it before I find any.

002_zpsrumoshmb.jpg

With the veggies out I've turned off the t5 and am just using the finnex 36" led.  I may move the T5 to the fishroom, not sure yet.

Edited by AquaAurora

I have an extreme itch to go rain the garden centers around here for large sealed planter pots.  I'd like to take some of the larger house plants for the goldfish room and put them in said large pots (ideally 3-6g range), grab a heater, and use it as a perfect excuse to buy more bettas-1 per a pot obviously (I'm a betta hoarder.. at 8+ my husband's >.>'' ).  Don't have to worry about reflective glass causing stress/glass surfing.  I'd likely get "rescues" in quotes as I'd just be pity buying ones I've seen at the store for months in those sad lil' cups... Just gotta find pots that can handle the water pressure and are completely sealed (no holes), i don't want to have to plug a hole with sealant that may break down over time and wreck the hardwood floor.

In other news my clear pvc tubing came!  But it doesn't fit onto the elbow pieces that wlil go into the tank ugh >.< Have to buy more connectors and wait for those to come.  My brother-in-law was suppose to give us his 75g some months ago but haven't heard back from him, if he ever does get it out of storage for me and my hubby we'd probably put it where the couch is now and move the couch to the otehr wall, then add another water bridge to connect the 3 tanks into a 225g!!!  I'd probably stick my stored sunsun canister on the hand-me-down-tank...

On the topic of the 75gs, I've been waffling over ideas for the riparium tank with faux wall.. unsure about hardscape I want to use/layout of it now... I had planned several months ago to do what DIY King recently did with his goldfish tank minus the fake plants ad with a bit less stone, possibly taller stones too.. and ideally with Pocono stones buut not I'm not so sure I want that.. I've also been thinking of making the planted tank just swords and moving the vals, a., and lily/lotus to the otehr tank then slap the T5 on it.. but the light's 2 ballasts aren't independently rotate-able which is annoying (my last T5 was).

Quick teaser photo for what I did yesterday

023_zpsocjspexe.jpg

Will post more later on.

75g

SO need to update, first the 75gs, got 3 nerites at petco yesterday to start cleaning it, 2 zebras adn a tiger (aka red spot), hoepfully they're still ok (have not checked this morning).  Here they are drip acclimating

019_zpszs8qghob.jpg
021_zpsyggha7hs.jpg

Photo of the water bridge.  Debating if I want to spray paint the white pieces black...
022_zpszlm795bu.jpg
023_zpsuips9zx1.jpg
024_zpsjoykrb0m.jpg

Quick shot of the planted 75g after a water change (pre-snail add)

011_zpsnfpgewab.jpg
012_zps4wawqvyx.jpg

Onto the pond pots!

I didn't think I would but I actually like these plastic pots, they're from Lowes and hold 6g empty, with substrate and large plant pot they hold about 4.5gs.  Added bonus: they're made from recycled materials and made in the US!  DOwnside: without a light its hard to spot a dark betta in them >.>'' I should have bought the pale pastel mustard, oh well!

001_zpsuxvog8gj.jpg
002_zpswacuxllq.jpg

I put my Dieffenbachia and the swiss cheese plant into some smaller pots than what they were bought in.  Punctured the pot with a nail to put coated wire thrush and hang it on the inside of the pot.  Cut the bottoms out to let roots grow through rasily, then covered cut area with window screen mesh (becuase if you've ever kept a betta you'll know they'll find a way to shred their fins on something if its left exposed).    I added my expanded clay media after putting the plant in, then topped with gravel(old gravel I used in 55g years ago but had rinsed and stored).

013_zpsxvtwzy0x.jpg
014_zpse6cihgex.jpg
015_zpskm0anm8n.jpg
016_zpsjbemif9c.jpg
017_zpswah2u67z.jpg

018_zpswo4qfn7k.jpg
020_zpsvbwkpweo.jpg
021_zpshox4ukiy.jpg
022_zpsaoswxm22.jpg

024_zpstc9h5pyp.jpg

The bettas:

Soooo my ever enabling hubby and I went to Petco on Sunday and came home with 2 new bettas.  We both had trouble picking between 2.  My hubby got 1 of 2 kings that was there. I got a mustard double tail plakat that's been there since at least last month (I'd taken a photo of him in Aug.), I had a hard time choosing between him and a pastel 'mustard' EE (who'd also been there at least a month).  Ultimately my want for a dtpk mustard won out so I took that one.  My hubby took the larger of the kings who is standard dark black/red/blue and looked to have some damage on his face (or possibly pale marking?).
Photos of them acclimating, my poor boy is so pale here, he blends into the wood table
011_zpsy5ricxp6.jpg
012_zpsyp1ismhb.jpg

Aug. photo of my new boy:
019_zpsatyj9rau.jpg

Photos from Tues of them in their new homes (eheim heaters are temporary until smaller hydro theo heaters arrive.. for some [censor] reason amazon hasn't even shipped them yet even though I ordered them Sunday grr =,=), I also ordered some silk plants since there won't be enough natural light for aquatic plants.  May stuff more palnts around the rim, or get another pot (AND BETTA) >.>

King

026_zpsgpc21i2d.jpg
030_zpsprbpr3lb.jpg

Mustard dtpk
028_zpsikqfcqvk.jpg
031_zpsqj5vlu5j.jpg

Still thinking about names.

I hate the biofilm but I'm not sure if I want to stuff and airstone i there or not...don't want to add bladder or ramshorn snails to eat the biofilm.

What a cool idea! :hi5

Will you have to do regular water changes in something like that?  :hummm

What a cool idea! :hi5

Will you have to do regular water changes in something like that?  :hummm

For the bettas, as long as the terrestrial plants with roots in water is alive, no I shouldn't have to do any water changes.

If you meant the 75gs, yes I will to remove visible poop, but not massive water changes as plants should take care of nitrogen.