Dalya-and-her-Goldies

Baby geese!?

14 posts in this topic

Hey there everyone! My little sister and I found two small birds, abandoned in a box on the street. We immediately paid a visit to the vet, who identified them as geese. I am currently looking for a proper home for them, but I still have to take care of them for now. Does anyone have any experience with such a situation? Advice on how and what to feed them or water them would be very appreciated.

I will try and post some pics of them later, one of them is bigger and feistier while the other is smaller than my palm.

Thank you very much!

AWE :)

You will need to phone a wildlife rehabber asap.

Even if they cant take them right away they will give you the best answer as to what to feed and how often. Their answers need to outrank anyone on here and the internet

You will need to phone a wildlife rehabber asap.

Even if they cant take them right away they will give you the best answer as to what to feed and how often. Their answers need to outrank anyone on here and the internet

I am planning on doing that. This is going to have to happen tomorrow though, as it is already pretty late here.

So cute!!!!

Im sure they are close to taking care of them as taking care of chickens...

My goodness they look so wee!  Good on you for rescuing them and hopefully there is a wildlife expert that can help guide you in the right direction.

Keep them warm. A 60-75 watt regular light bulb in a clamp on light, securely attached in such a way that the bulb doesn't touch the box can generally provide enough heat (about 90 F the 1st week) - use your hand or a thermometer to check heat, plus the babies will move closer or farther away if too hot/cold. They can eat chopped boiled egg mixed with oatmeal for a day or so. The best food supplement is chopped fresh grass (but watch out for pesticides/herbicides!) They need plenty of water, but watch they don't get into the dish & get wet/chilled - a bowl should be deep enough for them to stick their whole bill into it, & they splash a lot. Put a clean stone or something in the middle to keep them from getting all wet.

I know chickens well but unfortunately I don't know much about geese. I know some wild beeds are illegal to keep. So I'd be careful in that respect. The site I use a lot is 'backyard chickes' for information on chickens. They do have a section for geese.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/47/geese/

I took a quick look and was not initially finding much help but you may dig through in there a little or just ask a question there and might get some help. If it is a wild variety I would contact the appropriate local agencies and ask for assistance.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for all your responses! I have taken into account all your advice!

Both of them are thankfully alive today, I was really afraid that due to my inexperience, they wouldn't make it through the night.

I am worried about the little one though. It is very young, and apparently doesn't really understand the concept of eating. It keeps his eyes closed, though I saw it open one of them. It seems too weak to be able to take care of itself in any degree. I am probably going to have to syringe feed it. What do you think?

On another note, yesterday night I sent an email to a wildlife agency, and to my pleasant surprise they responded today. They gave me some phone numbers of people who can advise me on my further steps. I am going to attend to those shortly.

Hopefully the little goslings are going to have a proper home soon. Thanks again!

Edited by Dalya-and-her-Goldies

Turns out my fears for the little guy were justified. He died, shortly after my last post. :(

In order to ensure he eats something, I hand fed the other some greens. Hopefully he will be fine.

I just talked to one of the volunteers. She advised me to call another to get instructions for the gosling's care. She is going to call me in the evening in order to make an appointment for her to take the gosling. She will most likely come tomorrow.

Hang in there, little guy, we are so close on finding you a home!

Sometimes there is nothing you can do to save one :hug

Good luck with the remaining one!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk