Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Dancing with hoses

I've been using a lightweight garden hose to do water changes. Either siphon to outside or pumped to sink. It's a 50ft hose and I might need a longer one to get to my new tank. It is such a pain in my butt to roll out and the coil back up. It's just unwieldy.

Does anyone have suggestions for a better hose? Is the tubing that comes with the python really that much better?

I saw this hose at my local Home Depot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P6N9KI4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And thought I might give it a try. I like those pressure expanding hoses but they spring leaks and won't work for a siphon drain.

I used to use a garden hose then I switched to Python. In both cases I used the following to store the hose: http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-KW-130-Storage-Center-150-Feet/dp/B0000BYBVT/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1461559662&sr=8-7&keywords=Electrical+reel

I have a 75 ft Python. I can't remember how long the garden hose was. It was shorter but thicker. The reel makes life easier.

I have a 50ft python and find it a pain in the butt to reel up an store. I was thinking of getting something like Lisa posted but wasn't sure, its higher on my list to get now!

I used one of the retractable ones for a while. It was okay, and i honestly don't remember when or why i stopped using it, but i did. :peeka

I think it was a combo between having to "walk" it to the tank as it fills, and trying to keep it from falling and making messes afterwards.

I use a garden hose now but was able to cut it down to about 25ft. The one i have now doesn't kink or twist and i think that makes a huge difference. Try to find one that's easy to manage and i think the reel would make it work way better too. :)

I used to use a garden hose then I switched to Python. In both cases I used the following to store the hose: http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-KW-130-Storage-Center-150-Feet/dp/B0000BYBVT/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1461559662&sr=8-7&keywords=Electrical+reel

I have a 75 ft Python. I can't remember how long the garden hose was. It was shorter but thicker. The reel makes life easier.

Thanks. I like this reel. Been wondering where to get that for a water hose but guess j just needed to think outside the box to electrical! I may try this with the lightweight hose I linked above.

I used one of the retractable ones for a while. It was okay, and i honestly don't remember when or why i stopped using it, but i did. :peeka

I think it was a combo between having to "walk" it to the tank as it fills, and trying to keep it from falling and making messes afterwards.

I use a garden hose now but was able to cut it down to about 25ft. The one i have now doesn't kink or twist and i think that makes a huge difference. Try to find one that's easy to manage and i think the reel would make it work way better too. :)

Were you able to use the retractable hose with just siphon pressure or were you using a pump with it to drain the tank? I didn't think it would fully expand under just gravity/siphon pressure.

Were you able to use the retractable hose with just siphon pressure or were you using a pump with it to drain the tank? I didn't think it would fully expand under just gravity/siphon pressure.

Oops! :doh11: No, I should have mentioned that I siphoned out through a nearby window. For that I had a 4 or 5' hose attached to the big tube, that had a handpump thing to get the pressure going.