Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

WHOA! What's going on?

Check out this NASTY water coming from our tap. What on earth? Its murky and brownish/yellowish. Its not clear at all. Is it safe to put this into Nericons tank? She's sitting in a tank with 1/3 of water because I was scared to refill it after I saw this. The water is usually clear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYMc0jYu_o

PS - the first bucket also came directly from the tap... It was even nastier than the second bucket, which was nasty. What on earth?

Edited by mjfromga

I wasted a billion tons of water, but since I noticed it got better with each bucket, I felt safer waiting until it looked okay before I filled Nericons tank. Nothing unusual showing on tests so I went ahead. She has been bored so I dug out some old ornaments and put them in her tank. She seems fine... eating poop as usual (isn't that bad for them?) The others may pick up poop but they spit it out, she EATS it. I wondered why there is never really any poop in the tank. Nericon is eating it. Gah - so silly!

Most likely some one was working on the pipes some where down the line. Doing that will create gunk in the lines... You did good on letting it run till it goes clear. That stuff can be bad for the fish if its rust or something like that :(

The thing is, they didn't say anything. Usually when there's some work done, they issue a "Boil Water Alert" but there was nothing... Had I poured the water into say - one of our red cups, I'd not have even noticed it. Now I'd never drink our tap water in a billion years... But they're supposed to WARN YOU! Our watershed is just doing what it wants to.

Edited by mjfromga

Yellow brownish water happened to us one time. I went on the city water website and found out they were doing some maintenance on the pipes in my area. No warning. I just had to find out for myself.

Is it possible there was like a broken pipe or something that they had to work on and couldn't give warning for? Broken pipes happen quite often here lol. 

Either way you did the same thing I would have done and let it run clear before putting in the tank

Eeew. Can't say I've ever had that happen before! All tap water in the US, coming from municipal water sources, is safe for human consumption and potable. That doesn't mean it tastes good and might not be fish safe, but it should not be dangerous. If there is any question about the integrity and safety of your taps or that there may be damage to the pipes please clap your water company and see what may be going on! It could be at the source or nearer to your home but they can at least test it and give you more data relating to its safety.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yellow brownish water happened to us one time. I went on the city water website and found out they were doing some maintenance on the pipes in my area. No warning. I just had to find out for myself.

Yup that happened alot when I was living in CA :o

Check out this NASTY water coming from our tap. What on earth? Its murky and brownish/yellowish. Its not clear at all. Is it safe to put this into Nericons tank? She's sitting in a tank with 1/3 of water because I was scared to refill it after I saw this. The water is usually clear...

PS - the first bucket also came directly from the tap... It was even nastier than the second bucket, which was nasty. What on earth?

I have the same problems time to time... I live in a high rise and when they do any work with the plumbing or pipes we get filthy water like that. Also if they do any work with broken pipes down town near my building... And your right he only way to get rid of it is to just run the water and waste it.... I'm just glad I'm not metered and my water is included in my rent.

Thanks everyone. The tap pH is 8.8 or higher and there's often .5 ppm of ammonia. I called and asked around once being unable to find any online reports and the Lady behaved suspiciously and told me that she would have no idea about anything like that and that all I can do is call the "Scott Candler Laboratory" and have them come out and test it. She said they'd charge $50 for it. I thought it was supposed to be free?

And got some weirdness happening after this incident. Here are pH tests today. From left of photo to right...

Far left: Raiden

Next: Tap

Next: Nericon

Last: Slate & main tank

Wow - I'm so confused... The water here is SO inconsistent and they won't say anything when asked.

post-25299-0-65700600-1461772078_thumb.j

That's pretty cheap - essentially a processing fee. I'm sorry your water is so inconsistent, depending on the source (especially river fed) and fhe age of your municipal water pipes it can be quite variable. Lake fed sources tend to be more stable.

I believe our fee for testing is just paying the truck to come out, but again, each water company sets their own rules on this.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks. I am worried about my fish. I know not to drink any of the water but I don't think that these strange values cropping up randomly are good for my water babies. They seem fine but I am quite concerned. You'd think that I was from a third world country with brown water and inconsistent tap water quality. :(