Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Lumie has Ich

You mean't 0.1% and not 0.01%, correct?

With ich, I do 100% water changes per day. Since you are doing complete water changes per day, feeding normally would be okay.

Edit: Koko beat me to it!

Edited by LisaCGold

How are the fish in the main tank doing? Are they showing any symptoms?

How are the fish in the main tank doing? Are they showing any symptoms?

They aren't showing any symptoms of anything but being piggies. I did a back to back 50% on the 40b today after scrubbing down everything. They are super happy right now. Yes I think I meant 0.1. I've been very tired, teething toddler has started climbing on everything in the house.

Edited by GoldnTexas

Teething toddler--fun!

Another thing: Wipe down tank real well after water change to help get rid of ich parasites.

Nothing works better than the bucket-to-bucket method of 100% water changes. 

:bingo:

I wish I could but I can't afford any more supplies right now. We're dealing with medical stuff for my wife at the moment too. All I have available is being used. Now I'm not sure what to do ????

I'm going to just have to test the tap temp with a cooking thermometer and get it at 79 degrees then change.

Edited by GoldnTexas

I'm going to just have to test the tap temp with a cooking thermometer and get it at 79 degrees then change.

I do that with my mollie tank :)

His spots have gotten worse over night. Here is a picture.

Salinity is at 0.2, how do I make it 0.3% if i'm adding every 12 hours 0.1? I can only get to 0.2% in 24 hours that way? Then it all comes out after a wc and it starts over again when I add 0.1? I'm quite confused right now and really worried about him, hes kind of just floating there in that spot not really moving much. I'm kind of regretting buying from petsmart. I should have just waited until we could get down to the aquadome in austin, they really take care of their fish there. So much going on right now I feel like breaking down. Were dealing with a possible missed pregnancy, my mother in law got diagnosed with breast cancer and started radiation treatment this week, now this little fish. Ugh  :cry

IMG_0560_zpsmwd3kcct.jpg

Sorry if I'm over-sharing information but I'm kind of losing my head right now lol

Edited by GoldnTexas

Aww, its okay. I heard that ich often gets worse before it's better. Poor little guy. I got "retailer" fish too and one has a nasty tumor that won't stop regrowing. The other fish has been very healthy since I got her last October. Got a new one a bit over a week ago, still looks nice and healthy. There's no way to predict these things. Hang tight, I know how difficult rookie fishkeeping can be!

He did eat fine this morning so at least that's a positive.

Aww, its okay. I heard that ich often gets worse before it's better. Poor little guy. I got "retailer" fish too and one has a nasty tumor that won't stop regrowing. The other fish has been very healthy since I got her last October. Got a new one a bit over a week ago, still looks nice and healthy. There's no way to predict these things. Hang tight, I know how difficult rookie fishkeeping can be!

You are right it does get worse before it gets better.

As for the salt. I would do it every 6 hours that way it gets up there. OR you could do every 3 hours :)

What you were supposed to do was add enough salt to make 0.1% initially (1 teaspoon per gallon), then add that same amount of salt 12 hours later (raising the concentration to 0.2%), and again in another 12 hours (raising it to 0.3%).  Any time you change the water, the new water should have the same concentration of salt as the old. 

Please remove the fish from the tank,  change all of the water,  add 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of water (0.3%).  Once the salt has dissolved,  return the fish to the water.  

Edited by shakaho

He did eat fine this morning so at least that's a positive.

Think how you would feel if you got poison oak on ya :o

What you were supposed to do was add enough salt to make 0.1% initially (1 teaspoon per gallon), then add that same amount of salt 12 hours later, and again in another 12 hours. Any time you change the water, the new water should have the same concentration of salt as the old. 

Please remove the fish from the tank,  change all of the water,  add 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of water (0.3%).  Once the salt has dissolved,  return the fish to the water.

Or that way :)

What you were supposed to do was add enough salt to make 0.1% initially (1 teaspoon per gallon), then add that same amount of salt 12 hours later (raising the concentration to 0.2%), and again in another 12 hours (raising it to 0.3%).  Any time you change the water, the new water should have the same concentration of salt as the old. 

Heres what I did so far. I am using pickling salt so i was doing 3/4 tsp per gallon, as it's a 10 gallon I was dosing for 9 gallons total, so I was doing 6.75 tsp total. I dosed 6.75 tsp at 10am yesterday morning, and again last night at 10pm. I put the salt in a panty hose stocking and let it dissolve then removed the sock. So as of 10am this morning the salinity was 0.3% correct? I am about to do the 100% wc here in a few minutes, after I get the bubba his breakfast and all taken care of. 

So then after I add the new 6.75 tsp and it dissolves I put the fish back in and continue to do the same regiment every 12 hours, correct?

Or since the concentration needs to be the same, do I need to triple the dose of salt after the WC and let it dissolve (20.25 tsp) so the salinity will be 0.3% before I reintroduce Lumie?

Ideally this thursday I can get another 10gallon and another heater/air pump and do the bucket-to-bucket, I just can't do it until pay day

SO as of 10am this morning when I added the third dose of 6.75tsp salt the water is sitting at 0.3% salinity. I'm sorry for asking again but since you mentioned the salinity needing to be the same as it is currently, do I need to add enough salt after the water change to make the salinity 0.3% (20.25 tsp), let it dissolve, then add Lumie back into the tank? That is the only thing I'm waiting confirmation on, then I will do the WC.

Thanks for all your help everyone, this is very frustrating. Sorry if I'm being impatient.

You want the overall salinity levels to be at .3%, so if the water parameters are already at .3% salinity levels then you're good. If you added the salt to the water and it's currently at .3% salinity levels, then any water change you do, you need to make sure to replace the salt from the water that was just changed. By adding new water, you dilute the overall salinity levels and will take it down from the .3% concentration of where we need to be at to attack the ick problem. 

My math is terrible, but it should look something like this:

If you're using a 10 gallon water container and want the salinity level at .3% then you would add 3X10 = 30 teaspoons of salt, (1 tsp per gallon)

Then if I do a water change, let's say 30%, so I removed 3 gallons of water, then I removed about 9 teaspoons of salt (3 gallons x 3 teaspoons) and so when I fill back to 30%, I need to add in another 9 teaspoon of salt that was just removed.

The reason why some people use the salt in the stocking method is to let the salt slowly dissolve in the water while the fish is in the tank. This lets them slowly get acclimated to the water and the salinity level slowly rises. 

You want the overall salinity levels to be at .3%, so if the water parameters are already at .3% salinity levels then you're good. If you added the salt to the water and it's currently at .3% salinity levels, then any water change you do, you need to make sure to replace the salt from the water that was just changed. By adding new water, you dilute the overall salinity levels and will take it down from the .3% concentration of where we need to be at to attack the ick problem. 

My math is terrible, but it should look something like this:

If you're using a 10 gallon water container and want the salinity level at .3% then you would add 3X10 = 30 teaspoons of salt, (1 tsp per gallon)

Then if I do a water change, let's say 30%, so I removed 3 gallons of water, then I removed about 9 teaspoons of salt (3 gallons x 3 teaspoons) and so when I fill back to 30%, I need to add in another 9 teaspoon of salt that was just removed.

The reason why some people use the salt in the stocking method is to let the salt slowly dissolve in the water while the fish is in the tank. This lets them slowly get acclimated to the water and the salinity level slowly rises. 

ok so since I'm doing a 100% water change I need to put all the salt back and let it dissolve then put Lumie back in. got it.

I'm so sorry to hear about all the difficult things that are going on in your life right now. Light, peace, and love to you during this time period!!

Ah poo. My Ryukin and my Ranchu both have white spots in their tails now too ????

I guess I need to treat my 40b now too, don't know how I'm going to get the heater for that one