Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldnTexas

Lumie has Ich

Hey guys, against my better judgement I added Lumie to the established aquarium today and a couple hours later I saw he had white spot on his tail. I didn't notice it at all when he was in the 10 gallon, he has no other symptoms. I was just wondering if I now have to treat the 40 gallon for it as well since he was in there for a couple hours or should I just treat him by himself in the 10 gallon but watch the other two for infection? I feel so dumb for not waiting! Please forgive my haste and help me!

Please show a picture of the white spots, so we can tell if he really has ich.

Okay, it is so very hard to see here, I could see it clear as daylight when he was in the 40gal under the LED's even my wife said wow, yea I see it for sure. It is only on his tail and pectoral fins. Nowhere on his body from what I can see, and I didn't notice any on his dorsal until I took this picture, I see one or two there too. No other symptoms other than the spots. I have put him back into the 10 gallon. He has been eating fine. Poop is fine, normal sized and is the color of his food intake. I've been doing 100% wc's with prime daily for a week.

IMG_0500_zpsup5jbk4r.jpg

IMG_0512_zpsivn54jvn.jpg

Edited by GoldnTexas

I feel terrible! He was having such a good time swimming with Ru and Hiro and exploring the big new digs, sifting the sand and sucking down some seaweed, he was on cloud 9!  :(

Would it be a good idea to pick up a submersible heater tomorrow just in case?

Is it just my monitor or does he look slightly rough and prickly?

Definitely get a heater and aquarium safe salt, even if we end up treating for other things we will still start there and they are very important to have on hand with a hospital tank.

It was on super zoom and taken on my iPhone so it might have pixelated a little in transferring through email. He doesn't look like it to me? I will post a few picture in the morning, I'm on my phone right now and about to hit the hay.

Edited by GoldnTexas

Is it just my monitor or does he look slightly rough and prickly?

Definitely get a heater and aquarium safe salt, even if we end up treating for other things we will still start there and they are very important to have on hand with a hospital tank.

I saw that too. On his right side near those two fins (where the black contrasts the orange), he does look prickly and then if you look closely... he seems that way all over. Just trying to say I don't think its just you.

I will get a heater tomorrow. I have a whole heap of that canning/pickling salt from when I cycled the 40, will that work?

time for bed. Sorry if there's double posts my wifi was messing up and it may have caused doubles.

Edited by GoldnTexas

Well our toddler woke up so now I have time to post another picture.

This was taken at the same time, but without ultra zoom and I will keep the picture regular size instead of "large" when I send it in the email.

Here it is... the part on the right side of his head is his wen (I'm fairly certain), thought tiny, he does have one :)

IMG_0432_zpsim7l7cvc.jpg

Edited by GoldnTexas

I will get a heater tomorrow. I have a whole heap of that canning/pickling salt from when I cycled the 40, will that work?

Yes it will hun. I would get the salt level up to .3% slowly...

A heater and get the heat to 78F or 79F...

I would say it looks like ich but it doesnt, So lets salt and see what little tyke does. :)

Do I add 1 tablespoon every 15 minutes? It's a 10 gallon so would I need 10 tablespoons total? I know you probably have a guide somewhere, could you link it for me? The hospital tank has a sponge filter, should I also add an air stone since we're turning up the heat?

Edited by GoldnTexas

Cute. Is that an Oranda?

Cute. Is that an Oranda?

Yes ☺️

Alright y'all! I got the heater, I'm going to clean it off and start raising the temperature a couple degrees at a time until I'm around 79 degrees. shoukd I do a 100% wc before hand to clean up any waste in there first?

Yes, do a full water change or two back to back smaller changes and consider servicing/knocking crud out of your filter as well if you're not using a hospital tank for this. If it is parasitic we want the environment as clean as possible.

Follow the link Sharon posted for using salt and heat please :)

Okay started treatment this morning. Did back to back 100% wc, dosed prime, added 0.01% salt at 10am, will add another 0.01 in 12 hours. I also added a bubble stone for added oxygen. I put the salt into a cut end of a panty hose. Here's to praying this little guy gets better soon. He was bottom sitting pretty bad this morning. I almost thought he kicked the bucket but he's still alive. He's actually swimming around a lot now after the wc. Will keep posted to any changes in behavior.

What do I do about water changes during treatment?

What do I do about water changes during treatment?

Since we are just doing the salt you can do a water change everyday, and replace the salt...

Should I do a 100%? Or just 50%? Do I feed like normal?

ugh my phone timed out again sorry if double post.

Edited by GoldnTexas

Should I do a 100%? Or just 50%? Do I feed like normal?

I would do a 100% since hes in a Qt tank.. Feel normal hun :)

ugh my phone timed out again sorry if double post.

No worries :)