Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KimA.

Repaird acrylic tank safety

I see an acrylic tank  for sale and it looks like it had 3-4  holes  drilled in the bottom.  The seller said the holes  had been  "plugged".  What other  questions should I be asking?  Help! :teehee  The tank is  125 gallons.

Edited by KimA.

I would look to see how the holes were "plugged". they should be OK if they were done correctly. Also make sure you look for those fine acrylic crazing lines. They may indicate stress from previous misuse or leveling. If you google "acrylic tank crazing lines" there is a lot of info on what to look out for.

It depends how they were sealed.

There are 2 normal ways to seal drilled holes.  1 is to keep the bulkhead in the hole and use a threaded plug with Teflon tape to plug the hole.  This means the stand for the tank cannot be solid.  It must have a spot for the bulkhead cut into it.
The other is to use another square piece of acrylic and add some sealant of some kind and just place that over the holes.

I personally would NEVER get a used tank.  Not worth the risk.

You cannot use silicone on acrylic.  IT just doesn't bond properly.  Many people would try and use a piece of acrylic or glass and silicone that over the drilled holes.  That will not hold properly.

Thanks.  I think I'll pass on this one.  The new plexi tanks are so damned expensive.