Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MT28

Concerns about new fish post-quarantine

Hi guys! I have some concerns about one of my new fish, Pasi and thought I’d ask for opinions here.

Here’s a little background: At the end of February, I adopted 2 goldfish from a shelter: a common named Aura and a comet named Pasi. I quarantined them separately in 15 gallon tanks for a month with daily water changes and at the end of March added them to my main tank with my comet Kaji.

Pasi’s shelter tank had alarmingly high nitrite (as high as the API dropper test can go) and he came with mild finrot, but actually did really well in quarantine. He was super active, had good appetite, and never had a reaction to any of the medicine I used (see med history below).

However, after adding him to the main tank, he’s been noticeably less active than before. He spends maybe half his time resting behind a piece of wood. He eats well and reacts when I come near the tank or when the other two fish engage him (they all get along super well; I haven’t seen any aggression but lots of fin rubbing and napping side by side), but he never participates in their chasing games (although he watches with great interest) and generally likes to stick to one side of the tank when swimming. The other problem is that his finrot never healed. It never got worse, but I think his fins actually look exactly the same as they did on the day I got him (about 2 months ago now), despite lots of water changes and pristine conditions.

I was thinking about putting him back in his quarantine tank and treating for possible bacterial infection, but I thought I’d get some opinions first. Thanks!

·       Test Results for the Following:

·       * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

·       * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

·       * Nitrate level(Tank) 5 (was 20 right before I changed the water)

·       * Ammonia Level(Tap) .5

·       * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

·       * Nitrate level(Tap) 5

·       * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6, 80, 120

·       * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6, 80, 120

·       Other Required Info:

o   * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API drops for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH; API strips for KH and GH

o   * Water temperature? 74F

o   * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g, running for a year at a different residence, then moved to this residence in January (filter media was preserved and transported; there was no cycle bump)

o   * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Sunsun Canister Hw304B 525GPH Pro, Fluval Aquaclear 50 200gph

o   * How often do you change the water and how much? Since adding new fish, 90% every 3-5 days, except for this week since I was away for 7 days

·       * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 90%; before that Wed 4/13, 90% except since I was away the fish were fasted, only fed once in the seven days

·       * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 7”sl comet (Kaji), 1 6”sl common (Aura) and 1 5”sl comet (Pasi)

·       * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime

·       * What do you feed your fish and how often? saki-hikari sinking pellets in the morning and a variety of things in the evening: Repashi gel food, frozen bloodworms, peas, spinach, defrosted brine shrimp etc.; however in the last seven days since I was away they were only fed pellets once; I fed them lightly again today

·       * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, Aura and Pasi were added at the end of March

·       * Any medications added to the tank? no

·       * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

During quarantine:

.3% salt and melafix 12 days

1 four day round of furan-2

3 5-day rounds of prazi (powdered)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Relatively mild fin rot, but it has not improved (or gotten worse) in the time I have had him (about 2 months) despite pristine water conditions

·       * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

he just seems less active and robust than the other two fish, often resting behind a piece of wood but he is active enough that I hesitate to treat him for anything

Here are a couple pictures for reference:

9ed7c8d38ad9b8e82df08677a9d8bda2.jpg

Full tank photo

53b16e741d8e821edd6f3585d2638641.jpg

Pasi when I first got him with frayed fins

bc211afc395a0b40e444c7a67bfabee0.jpg

Pasi as of yesteday, with his fins in pretty much identical condition

Any ideas what is going on or suggestions for what I should do? Thank you!

The fish looks healthy.  Pasi may be just a little shy.  As long as the fins don't get worse, I wouldn't worry.  I also notice Pasi  has missing scales on the side you can see in the last picture.  That indicates some mechanical injury, possibly during spawning.  The fins could have suffered damage at the same time.

Thank you so much, Shakaho, for putting my worries at rest.

I was under the impression that fins usually grow back? Do you think Pasi's fins are just growing extremely slowly? Maybe it's just hard to tell because they're white.

I just can't see any fin rot at all. He's a comet so his fins won't look straight edged like commons. He's a handsome guy. My Rhonda can be shy sometimes, especially when I'm right near the tank. She stays below the other fish when I feed and she's fairly active but swims by herself usually away from Slate and Abanayabar on the other side when I observe them from afar.

To me his dorsal looks more like just a minor deformity rather than fin rot??

Edited by mjfromga

You know, it had never actually occurred to me that his fins might be normal! His caudal fin and dorsal fin just look so much like finrot, and there's actually a hole in one of his pelvic fins. But, come to think of it, during quarantine there was a time when he tore a pectoral fin when I caught him to do a 100% water change and the torn fin healed within a couple days, so it is very possible that his fins are naturally a bit jagged, whether it's a deformity or maybe somehow caused by prolonged poor water conditions (the shelter said his owners had had him for 3 years before giving him up).

This makes me feel so much better. I think because I only had Kaji for the last couple years, I see him as the standard for healthy fish behavior, but it makes sense that different fish act differently.

Nice tank and Goldfish.