Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
KimA.

All male / female or what?

20 posts in this topic

I plan to get 4-5 fancy goldfish for my 125 gallon tank.  I'm not a breeder, but need to  know the best way to  keep  harmony in the tank. All one sex?  A good mix?    Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you are going to go with one sex, I would go with all males.  Females can become eggbound without males (and sometimes with) which can lead to internal infections.  I have had good luck with all males.

Keep in mind that if you get baby goldfish like I prefer doing (will never buy another adult fish again) that there is no way to tell the gender. I ended up with all females...

Hmm, ok well I will stop trying to sex my little chu then, I have a feeling its a girl :yikes

I love to have nothing but Males. So much easier to deal with :)

If you're like me and love fry, get one male and the rest female. That way the male can not gang up on the female during spawning. It is exhausting for female fish to get beat up on by multiple males...

Edited by DieselPlower

If you're like me and love fry, get one male and the rest female. That way the male can not gang up on the female during spawning. It is exhausting for female fish to get beat up on by multiple males...

I love fry, just dont like the heat break :(

All of my fish were too young to tell when I brought them home, but I knew when I got them I might need to set up another tank if I ended up with two males and one female.

My "bully" fish is of course female, but she seemed to only go after my other larger female. Since removing that fish from the tank, my main tank is peaceful with only a tiny bit of chasing at mealtimes. Egg impaction isn't ultra common seemingly, but I suppose its a concern.

I've got a mix in my tank..mostly male though I think. I still have trouble telling their sex though :P I haven't had any issues so far but I do know that some males will really gain up on  a girl so if you have a mix you need to watch out for that sort of thing. 

Hmm, ok well I will stop trying to sex my little chu then, I have a feeling its a girl :yikes

Now I'm thinking a boy : teehee

I have a mix. I bought mine so young I didn't know the sex.  It has worked out.  Even though I have more males then females.

The one thing that might happen with a full male tank though is that when spring and summer comes around, even without a female in the tank, the boys can get into a breeding  mood - which usually ends up with them starting to chase each other all over the place, always picking a different random "victim". 

Don't let it freak you out if it happens to you. Just keep an eye on them to see that it doesn't get out of hand. However, a few missing scales are not unusual in my all-boy tank. :)

I have an all-male tank  - there's some random chasing now, & they were picking on one fish, but after I kept separating that one fish out in a floating colander for a while when they were all pestering him, they learned to leave him alone. I did have 4 males & 1 female, & that was not looking too healthy, so I re-homed the female for her own safety.

Thank you all for this because I want to get ladyfish a buddy but I don't know if she's a lady she's so pretty I just assumed.. dumb I know. If lady is a female I should get another female is that correct? Eggs terrify me I want no part of that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a mixed tank - 10 males and 6 females. I've only ever had one really rough spawn which unfortunately happened when I was away for the night, and the female passed away a few days later. In the 2 years that tank has been running though, spawning has never been at all aggressive other than that one occasion.

If you were to go with one sex though, I'd say male. I've had egg bound females and it's stressful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only just got into goldfish recently (April) and did not know gender of the 2 I bought.  Turns out they are both females. 1 was sure of, the other not so much.. until the known female chased the other nipping at the unknowns crotch, around and I saw eggs drop (which both ate).

i have always had mixed genders in my tanks.. they've been a little too stupid to know what to do with eachother.. only once there were eggs and the female was carrying them at the time i purchased her (didn't know at the time).. i am fryless.. they are clueless, we're happy  :whistle

i have had males fall ill with dropsy.. 

Besides the dropsy part that's funny. Lol

I've already evicted 2 sucker fish for trying to get ladys tail. I want a peaceful tank and don't mess with Lady.