Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ranchudude

Seachem Stability

Has anyone ever used Seachem Stability for a fish less cycle? And how long did it take once you completed your cycle?

I did a search for people who actually had logs of using Stability.  I found a couple and in both it failed.  You often see positive reviews of "cycling products" that include the information that they had already been trying to cycle the tank for a month, added the product and it completed cycling within two weeks.

Well guess what.  Fish-in cycling usually takes a month to six weeks.  Fishless cycling usually takes two months or more, but I believe one can reduce this time by keeping ammonia and nitrite concentrations down to the levels that Prime makes safe as we do with fish-in cycling.   

Please tell us your current and desired setup and fish population and we can help you cycle without  bacterial products.

Edited by shakaho

I did a search for people who actually had logs of using Stability. I found a couple and in both it failed. You often see positive reviews of "cycling products" that include the information that they had already been trying to cycle the tank for a month, added the product and it completed cycling within two weeks.

Well guess what. Fish-in cycling usually takes a month to six weeks. Fishless cycling usually takes two months or more, but I believe one can reduce this time by keeping ammonia and nitrite concentrations down to the levels that Prime makes safe as we do with fish-in cycling.

Please tell us your current and desired setup and fish population and we can help you cycle without bacterial products.

I've been cycling my 60 gallon for 6 days with seachem stability . After I tested the water the Ammonia and Nitrite are fairly high and my nitrates are low. One day I'll have no Ammonia and Nitrite with low nitrates. The next day Ammonia and Nitrite are up. I'm not sure what's going on? Maybe the beneficial bacteria is trying to build up? I did a 50 percent water change to lower the Ammonia and Nitrite to help the bio load. Since I did a water change does it affect my cycle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My current set up: 60 gallon

Filter: 2 aquaclear 110

Media: marine pure bio sphere

Power head for circulation

And an airstone.

Water conditioner: Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability

Type of tank: Bare Bottom

Will be housing : 3 (5 inch) Ranchus.

Thanks!

Edited by ranchudude

I guess you are doing a fishless cycle.  Right? 

What do you use for an ammonia source?

What concentrations of ammonia and nitrite do you have?  Fairly high and low aren't useful numbers.  Do you have a decent test kit like the API Freshwater Master Kit?

I guess you are doing a fishless cycle. Right?

What do you use for an ammonia source?

What concentrations of ammonia and nitrite do you have? Fairly high and low aren't useful numbers. Do you have a decent test kit like the API Freshwater Master Kit?

Sorry I was currently at work when I was replying back in regards of my nitrite and Ammonia. I can give more accurate numbers later on today when I'm off from work. The only additives I add to my tank are seachem prime and stability. I've also noticed when I add stability I notice a jump in Ammonia.

So they must have  put some ammonia in the Stability.  I wonder how they kept the ammonia from being used up by the ammonia oxidizers.  They do say to use an ammonia source during a fishless cycle.

Of course they won't tell us what bacteria they have in Stability, but they say they spent a decade developing these strains.  Since no naturally-occurring bugs have all the properties they claim for  their nitrifiers (like the ability to form spores),  they probably did some fancy genetic engineering.

I tried Stability and it did not work for me.  I tried Foster and Smith aquarium brand and various other brands more geared to ponds and they did not work for me.  I tried Dr. Tim's and it did.  Quite well and to be honest I was very surprised. 

I tried these all on different tanks or tubs with unseeded filters at different times both fish-in and fishless cycles.  I had wanted to run a single controlled experiment with the brands I had on hand but had various issues that precluded me from getting this together.  Oh well.  All anecdotal!