Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Vent issues

I've never had experience with duckweed. Don't you have to grow it? Idk how :(

You use a tub with a large surface area.  Dump your used water from the tank into the tub.  That from the filter or from vacuuming the bottom is particularly nutritious.  Put the duckweed in the tub.  Set it someplace where it gets decent light.  Scoop out duckweed from the tub to feed the fish.  

How big should the tub be? How much water and duckweed do I add? How do I know when its ready to feed the fish? After it is ready, how much do I feed the fish?

GEDC8083_zpsamk0misi.jpg

In case nobody sees this photo on the other thread. Her vent and whatnot can be seen here. She has a few red veins in her tail, which doesn't surprise me seeing as how she floats after almost every meal, which has got to be stressful. Will give her the worm medicine, but probably won't see a change. As Sharon said, what I'm seeing is probably from the rocks. She's been gulping today randomly, so it seems to be getting worse. Poor girl :(

PS - Her tail base does seem inflamed now that I compare it to what it used to look like. Thanks for spotting that, Taryl.

Edited by mjfromga

How big should the tub be? How much water and duckweed do I add? How do I know when its ready to feed the fish? After it is ready, how much do I feed the fish?

you could use a 5 gallon container, place the water from the tank in, you can use a sponge filter if you like. :) once you get like a good say baby handful place it in the tank :)

The greater the surface area of the tub, the more duckweed you can grow.  I use one of these for a duckweed tub.  I also put any fry I find into the tub until they are big enough to eat the duckweed.   A smaller version  of this tub makes a good small duckweed tub and is also a perfect size for a hospital tank for a floaty fish.

You can order it on line from many sources.  

When you get your duckweed, rinse it in a few changes of dechlorinated water,  then put it in your tub with some used tank water.  You can add some aquatic plant fertilizer if you have it.  

When you use duckweed as medicine, for floatiness or digestive tract problems, you feed duckweed exclusively.  Put her in a shallow container with no more than 6 inches of water and toss in some duckweed.  Replace what she eats so she can eat as much as she likes.

When feeding duckweed as a dietary supplement,  get a feeding station and put the duckweed in that.  Otherwise it will get sucked into the filter and make a mess.

Been closely observing her... She's also eating any poop that sits on the bottom for too long. Gosh this is a silly fish. I started feeding her some of the Oxytetracycline pellets after I felt her mushy belly (I read that it could mean infection so I just tried it) and I've got to say, the surface gulping has reduced quite a bit and she hasn't floated after eating for two days now. Her poop still doesn't seem as uniform as it should, but she seems better. Maybe its random... Idk.

PS - She absolutely loves these pellets, whereas she won't touch the NLS pellets in this same size. Thought it was the size, nope... Must have been the taste!

Edited by mjfromga

I wish I could still see the videos and the photos so I could see what is going on :(

Sorry! I will take everything off private!

I wish I could still see the videos and the photos so I could see what is going on :(

That should do it! One video depicts the surface gulping.

Thank you!

Thank you!

You're very welcome. It very much DROVE ME NUTS, so I know how you're feeling!