Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

Getting New Goldies Use To Feeding

I got my first pair of goldfish yesterday and am trying to get them use to feeding.. where they came from fed floating pellets which I've been told is bad as they can suck in air and get swim bladder (sb) issues.  So I bought sinking Hikari Goldfish pellets as that's what was available (if there are better pellet brands you'd like to recommend please do so). 

Now I'm just having trouble getting them use to me in front of tank+ removing hood=food.. I don't want to foul the water leaving pellets in to land and since I used Black Diamond 'sand' substrate the food tends to blend in a bit. 

One of them-a blue-black oranda I think is the color term- keeps going into the anubias when I open the lid so having a hard time getting them to see pellets, the other a calico fantail has no problem staying out in the open but only wants to eat pellets as they sink not after they hit the substrate.

I soaked the pellets in water for 2+ minutes with a bit of DIY garlic exact before each feeding attempt.

I'm curious if anyone has used feeding dishes to put pellets or other foods in at the bottom without having a mess all over the substrate?

I might just be over thinking it as a new goldfish owner (not new to fish-have tropicals, other cold water (white cloud minnows), dwarf shrimp, and bettas), since they're the first fish that could eat plants that I've kept with plants.. don't want them making a salad bar out of the anubias because they haven't figured out sinking pellets yet...I put in a cucumber with them, seen a few pecks at it but not much.

Anyways any helpful tips would be appreciated!

First off, welcome to keeping goldfish! 

Hikari Goldfish pellets are a good food, I know others will chime in with other good options however.  Also, don't forget that you can feed Pleco sinking wafers (broken up) and veggie marine sinking foods too.  I'd also suggest you look into making gel food when your ready to try that.  What you want to do is offer a variety of foods, never rely on just one food.

As for learning to eat sinking food, just give them time.  They are smart fish and will soon put 2 and 2 together. That's the same thing with cucumber and other veggies, they will learn that it's edible.  But remember, some have preferences, so always try a food at least 3 times or more.

The water won't foul unusually by having food left in it.  Even if it's eaten and pooped out, it's still in the tank and will go towards feeding the good bacteria in the filter.

As for the fish hiding in the anubias, they are still new and a little scared.  Soon enough, that fish will be rushing out to feed. 

Even if a feeding dish was used, the goldfish would just swim over the dish and push the food out all over the tank.  The only way to prevent food from getting all over the bottom is to train them to hand feed (small pellets are not ideal for hand feeding though).  Currently they are used to looking up for food, so now could be an ideal time if you want to go that route.

As for keeping them with plants, anubias is not often eaten or torn up, however it's always good to plant heavy, so the abuse is split up between several plants, thus the plants have time to heal. 

Hope that helps a little.  I know more members will offer good thoughts.

Good Luck!

:D

Edited by Acro

First off, welcome to keeping goldfish! 

Hikari Goldfish pellets are a good food, I know others will chime in with other good options however.  Also, don't forget that you can feed Pleco sinking wafers (broken up) and veggie marine sinking foods too.  I'd also suggest you look into making gel food when your ready to try that.  What you want to do is offer a variety of foods, never rely on just one food.

As for learning to eat sinking food, just give them time.  They are smart fish and will soon put 2 and 2 together. That's the same thing with cucumber and other veggies, they will learn that it's edible.  But remember, some have preferences, so always try a food at least 3 times or more.

The water won't foul unusually by having food left in it.  Even if it's eaten and pooped out, it's still in the tank and will go towards feeding the good bacteria in the filter.

As for the fish hiding in the anubias, they are still new and a little scared.  Soon enough, that fish will be rushing out to feed. 

Even if a feeding dish was used, the goldfish would just swim over the dish and push the food out all over the tank.  The only way to prevent food from getting all over the bottom is to train them to hand feed (small pellets are not ideal for hand feeding though).  Currently they are used to looking up for food, so now could be an ideal time if you want to go that route.

As for keeping them with plants, anubias is not often eaten or torn up, however it's always good to plant heavy, so the abuse is split up between several plants, thus the plants have time to heal. 

Hope that helps a little.  I know more members will offer good thoughts.

Good Luck!

:D

Thank you for the reply ^^

I do have gel foods!  I've made up a batch of repashy soilent green and meat pie for my other tanks.  I keep it frozen in sealed bag until ready to feed then chip off chunk(s) and thaw.  I may try the soilent green for them tomorrow. 

I also have Hikari frozen blood worms and brine shrimp I thaw and feed my fish.  The goldies got some bloodworms for their lunch meal today.  They had a much easier time spotting the bloodworms than the pellets.  I don't know if you've seen tanks with black diamond 'sand' but there are some orange bits in there that make the pellet just blend in with them.

Great news on the gel foods.  You should check out some of the recipes members have posted, it will give you a good idea of things you can mix into them to give a more rounded diet. 

Yes, goldfish love blood worms.  I think bloodworms just smell stronger (or better) than the pellet food you are feeding (however they will still learn to seek it). 

I don't think your fish are having a hard time seeing the food, as goldfish seem to use smell and touch, more so than their eyes.  Goldfish are adapted to live in murky water where visibility is limited, also many have mutations where their eyes are not effective in finding food (excessive wen growth, bubble eyes, telescope eyes, nasal pompoms, etc.),  Goldfish have also adapted to find food under the substrate (that's why they dig around so much), as in nature, many morsels will be under a layer of sediment.  I feel that your goldfish are just adjusting to a new food smell/taste and style of feeding. Keep doing what your doing and give them time to get used to it all.

*High Five*

Edited by Acro

Great news on the gel foods.  You should check out some of the recipes members have posted, it will give you a good idea of things you can mix into them to give a more rounded diet. 

Yes, goldfish love blood worms.  I think bloodworms just smell stronger (or better) than the pellet food you are feeding (however they will still learn to seek it). 

I don't think your fish are having a hard time seeing the food, as goldfish seem to use smell and touch, more so than their eyes.  Goldfish are adapted to live in murky water where visibility is limited, also many have mutations where their eyes are not effective in finding food (excessive wen growth, bubble eyes, telescope eyes, nasal pompoms, etc.),  Goldfish have also adapted to find food under the substrate (that's why they dig around so much), as in nature, many morsels will be under a layer of sediment.  I feel that your goldfish are just adjusting to a new food smell/taste and style of feeding. Keep doing what your doing and give them time to get used to it all.

*High Five*

Thank you for the info, I've not read enough on them yet to knwo they're adapted not to find food via sight as the main sensory.. though it makes sense of those celestial and bubble eyes would be [censored].

I actually had luck with their last meal using the pipet to hold 1 pellet at a time and make sure the orada actually got food, as fantail seems to get most of the food so far with the oranda handing out in the anubias mass.

Its nice to see you here!!!!

Good luck on the goldfish!

Im a fan of the repashy, i also feed new life spectrum goldfish pellets, kens veggie sticks and hikari purple bag. He mostly gets the repashy though.

They will get better, mine were skittish at times, even after years and years because they were in my bedroom away from traffic, plus i was never home alot. Now my guy is in the kitchen and is so much better since i moved.

When he/she is hungry they will come looking. Leaving food in the tank isnt a bad thing either, they are scavengers and will find it eventually and learn to like it!

Edited by xjasminex

Its nice to see you here!!!!

Good luck on the goldfish!

Im a fan of the repashy, i also feed new life spectrum goldfish pellets, kens veggie sticks and hikari purple bag. He mostly gets the repashy though.

They will get better, mine were skittish at times, even after years and years because they were in my bedroom away from traffic, plus i was never home alot. Now my guy is in the kitchen and is so much better since i moved.

When he/she is hungry they will come looking. Leaving food in the tank isnt a bad thing either, they are scavengers and will find it eventually and learn to like it!

Thank you for the info and food recommendations.  I'm glad I got into goldfish (admittedly my husband kinda pushed me for them when we saw these two... we were just at the store for black worms >.>'' ), but I had the confidence to try because of you and the two other members that helped answer my barrage of questions on the other forum with your planted goldfish tanks. ^^ 

I'll put in some soilent green cubes for them today at lunch time, but first they need a water change, lots of cucumber poop on the black substrate need to get rid of. 

I also need to find a small portion of lettuce to buy (my grocery store sells it as 3 decent size heads or 1 jumbo plant at $3-4 >.<), my husband prefers iceburge which has no nutritional value so I don't want to give that to the goldies... maybe I should put lettuce on the tank again (did an auquaponic system when I had a pleco in the 55g before it was rehomed), grow their own food with their waste to save some $.

My goldfish prefer kale. Though they dont go right for it it has to sit in the tank for a bit before they start tearing it up. Mine kinda makes a mess, they get little pieces everywhere! But the snails help with it!

They went nuts for the soilent green cube soaked in diy garlic extract, the sink slower than the soaked pellets so they grabbed most of 'em before the cubes got to the bottom, might make that 1 meal a day (doing 4 meals atm). 

How often can/should they get meats like blood worms, brine shrimp, and black worms? Only offer the meat as 1 of the meal in a day, how many days a week, 1-2-3?

Younger fish need more protein....other than that i have never really fed mine that. I would say every other day or so probably...Someone way smarter that i will chime in im sure!

So a hole bunch of worry for nothing.  They're pretty much eating from my hand now, and the oranda is not being shy anymore.

Yes.  To the best of my knowledge, no goldfish has ever starved in a tank that had food in it.

Yes.  To the best of my knowledge, no goldfish has ever starved in a tank that had food in it.

:rofl

An idea to "train" your fish to your presence is to sit next to the tank, reading a book or such. Just being near them a lot makes them used to you. Mine are now so adapt, that they can tell the difference between me and my wife, when we approach the tank.

An idea to "train" your fish to your presence is to sit next to the tank, reading a book or such. Just being near them a lot makes them used to you. Mine are now so adapt, that they can tell the difference between me and my wife, when we approach the tank.

Thank you for the reply.  My original post was in the first few days they were here.  Now the oranda lets me handle it with no qualms and both eat from my hand, the fantail lets me pet her while feeding but isn't into handling when there's no food around yet.