Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ABB63

40B to 55 gallon tank

Hey all, I am debating whether to upgrade from a 40G breeder to a 55 Aqueon during the $1gallons sale.

I have a Shabunkin and a common and they re getting quite large. Their bodies, not including tail, are between 5" and 6" long. The 40 G breeder tank is 18" wide and only 16" tall whereas the 55 gallon is 48 long and 20" tall but it reduces the width of the tank to 15" fro 18". The upside is that it gives them an extra 12" more length across the tank. 

They seem fine right now but I wonder if they need more length to swim which the larger tank would give them. Wold love to hear your opinions.

Edited by ABB63

My opinion since they are single tail slin bodied fish... Yes.

If you want a 55, you certainly can get one.  I wouldn't.  The 40B has that name because Breeders prefer a shallower tank.   While long-bodied goldfish don't have trouble turning around in the narrow tank, the way some stiff thick-bodied fancies do, I don't see that they gain any advantage in a taller, narrower tank.  I don't know how old your fish are, but at 5-6 inches standard length, they have reached an average size for adults in an aquarium.

Given a spacious pond, goldfish do not swim back and forth the length of the pond.  They meander around looking for something to nibble on and spend a lot of time just hanging out.  The older they get, the lazier they get.  I had a two mature (~ 5 years)  8-9"  shubunkin in a 40B for a couple of months.  They spent most of their time hanging out under a plant box where the water returned from the filter.   They weren't hiding or anything they just liked it there.  They would come out and slowly check out the whole tank to see if anything edible has appeared, then go back to their favorite spot.  They did pretty much the same thing in their 350 gallon pond.

The reason I said yes is that the 55 is much better looking than the 40b... In my opinion.

I know you like the looks of the 55.  :)  They are also very easy to find second hand, complete with stand.

And I much prefer the looks of the 40B vs the 55.  :rofl  I also prefer the 75 to a 55.  I like the 18" depth better than the 12-13 or whatever the 55 is. . . . .  :idont

And I much prefer the looks of the 40B vs the 55. :rofl I also prefer the 75 to a 55. I like the 18" depth better than the 12-13 or whatever the 55 is. . . . . :idont

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :)

Edited by DieselPlower

Yeah my old 55 gallon tank was a pain to clean cause it was so tall. I would go with a 40B if I could, even my 36 bow tank is a pain :o

I have a 55 gallon. Very fond of it. Putting back in uprooted plants is mildly annoying because my entire arm gets wet, and same goes to putting in root tabs... But its not too bad. If you have short arms (usually comes with short height) it would be a total pain in the backside, though.

And I much prefer the looks of the 40B vs the 55. :rofl I also prefer the 75 to a 55. I like the 18" depth better than the 12-13 or whatever the 55 is. . . . . :idont

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :)

:wa. :pp

Remember, I know where you live. Well kinda. :rofl3

Hey everyone, this is awesome feedback. I once again looked at the 55 gallon on my way home. It looks so narrow. My guys are happy with the 40g and they do meander which wouldn't be as easy in the narrow tank. They are thick bodied too.

Found out the Tetra 55g is narrower than the Aqueon 55g. Still, both 55g tanks are very tall. I had them in 20g when I first got them and the 20" height was a pain.

I do like the look of the 40B. Maybe that's why I have looked at the bigger tanks a couple of times this past weekend and again tonight and walked out without buying one. My gut is saying no and you guys have confirmed its a good idea sticking with the 40B. I guess I'll see if they get any bigger before I think about going to a bigger tank.

Thanks everyone. I really love these fish. I Had no idea what I was in for when I bought them and now I just can't stop watching them.