Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
GothSpice

First Repashy Attempt for Picky Eaters

9 posts in this topic

I swear, I must have the pickiest goldfish in the tri-state area! I've probably flushed a good $40 down the toilet on foods they won't eat. Dried baby shrimp? Nope. Blanched spinach? Nada. Seaweed sheets? Nien. Sinking shrimp pellets? Nande. The only things that they eat are goldfish flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, and one of them enjoys duckweed. But not the other. Because that would be too easy lol!

I bought some Repashy Soilent Green, and this is my last-ditch effort before I say "Fine! You can live off of the freaking flakes!" So I made my first batch last night, and shmeared it across two rocks last night and popped them in the fridge. And now, the moment of truth. I'm gonna plop one in each tank and pray that they actually eat it! Wish me luck! I'll let y'all know if this works or not :/

SUCCESS! They actually freakin' ATE IT! Oh I'm so happy I could sing hahaha!

I first put the rock in Asimov's tank, as he's the pickier of the two, and as soon as it hit the water he started flitting about desperately searching for it! He found it on the rock and tried to eat it from there, but he's still feeder-fish sized and wasn't strong enough to pull it off into chunks. This seemed to REALLY upset him, and he raced all around the rock trying and failing to pull the food from it. So I pulled the rock out, and pinched off some little crumbs of it, and that seemed to do the trick just fine.

Similar results in Kritlaq's tank: Couldn't find it, desperate for it, wound up just crumbling some. So next time I'll make an even smaller batch, and just crumble it as needed. I'm so happy they like it! Today is a good day :)

*skips off into the sunset*

Yay!!! Snoopy Dance!!!

And it is so healthy for them too!  

I'm glad amused that there is another fish in the universe that is immune to duckweed's charms. Funny how they have their own preferences. 

You may want to check out my gel food blog for a long list of healthy additives you can incorporate into your next Repashy batch. 

Nericon, my fantail is slowly warming up to the Repashy. She ABSOLUTELY hated it at first. She wolfs down pellets, but still slowly eats the Repashy. Little Abanayabar quickly decided she liked it, but did pick at it first. Slate is a pig and eats everything so loved it instantly, and Rhonda loves it too. I've found the same goes with different types of pellets. Haven't tried bloodworms or anything yet.

PS - I've put in flakes a few times, and they all absolutely love the flakes. Weird!

Edited by mjfromga

Pro tip: Don't leave the Repashy in the tank and walk away unless you are positive that your fish can quickly eat every last bit. Otherwise, it will dissolve and turn your water into soup lol! Had to do a 90% water change on the little tank after that *facepalm* Lesson learned!

Pro tip: Don't leave the Repashy in the tank and walk away unless you are positive that your fish can quickly eat every last bit. Otherwise, it will dissolve and turn your water into soup lol! Had to do a 90% water change on the little tank after that *facepalm* Lesson learned!

:lol

That happened to me years ago with home made Gel food. My filter was a mushy mess lol

:lol

That happened to me years ago with home made Gel food. My filter was a mushy mess lol

I honestly wish I had taken a video of them. I've never seen a fish look so SAD, so defeated. Like "Ugh. Well this was great for the first 45 minutes, but after hour 6, I tell ya I'm getting mighty sick of the smell..." Lol poor fish! Lesson learned XD

With my gel food, I feed twice a day small bits at a time, like a couple of mouthfuls.