labecs

Question about moss balls...

6 posts in this topic

I know they might disappear soon, but I am hopeful because from what I've seen, my fish are picky and they don't seem to like veggies in general, so we'll see how long they survive, but I wanted to ask you if there is any special care I should take once they are in the tank.  They already sank in and look pretty.  Any advice?

Mine sure disappeared. But I had the little "nano" balls. From what I've gathered, they require no special care at all.

Mine sure disappeared. But I had the little "nano" balls. From what I've gathered, they require no special care at all.

Yeah, what wouldn't disappear with your beautiful BooBoo in the tank :)   She's a rock star!  We'll see. My big one already started investigating, the two little ones are still ignoring them.  Pity... they look soooo pretty!! I wish they would last a while  :)

Haha, I saw the Boo Boo pecking at them, and suddenly they began to disappear. Maybe I'll try some big ones, but no doubt she will mess with those too. Hopefully yours can last. I love Marimo Moss, but I could keep any around the first go. I always say I got both lucky and unlucky with Slate the Boo Boo. She's so much trouble with the tumor and all the plant destruction and being big and smelly (my tank didn't have water quality issues until I stuck her chunky self into it), but its her personality that makes her special.

I love Marimo also! When my orandas were small they tore up the Marimo. The moss was a bit rough on their digestive system. One of fish would sit at the bottom looking miserable after eating a bunch of the moss, then eventually poop it out. The poop would be fuzzy green stuff, definitely not digested all the way.

Boo Boo the beast also tried to eat the Java Moss. It got stuck several times in her mouth and I had to pull it out by the strings. She never let it root and it ended up making a giant mess and I snatched it all out and threw it away. Was hoping Marimo Moss was better, but she ate that too! She won't touch the Java Ferns, but I suck at keeping "tie down" plants healthy. She hasn't bothered the Amazon Sword leaves either, but she keeps eating my Wisteria and Water Sprite. Ordered some different thick leaved looking plants that are not "tie down". Let's hope I can keep these healthy and she won't eat them. Probably not, though!