Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Determining amount of weekly WC

So been getting my butt kicked with water quality issues in my new tank. Changed water 95% last Saturday. Water parameters were:

Ammonia: 2 ppm (EWWWW)

Nitrite: .25 - .5 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

pH: 8.6 or so

Today is Wednesday S, 4 days after a 95% WC tests showed

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

pH: 8.8 or higher

4 days and I'm finally seeing some nitrates. Think I'll do two 60% WC per week for starters on this tank. Glad that the ammonia doesn't seem to be building as fast. Does this seem adequate?

TAP TODAY: 8.8 pH or higher and .25 - .5 ppm of ammonia. Ammonia in tap higher than tank today...

post-25299-0-03129300-1460555916_thumb.j

post-25299-0-04474600-1460556689_thumb.j

Edited by mjfromga

What is your tap pH and how much ammonia is in your tap?

I would test daily or every other day and let the results guide you.  Typically I would do a WC once ammonia + nitrite are greater than 1 . ..  but that would depend on what your tap ammonia is.  :D

Are you using Prime?

The tap ammonia and pH are the second photo. Today, pH is 8.8 or higher and ammonia looked like almost .5 ppm. Yes, I use only Prime.

60% twice a week sounds pretty good, but with the strange variations in your tap water, more frequent changes seem safer.  How about 25% every other day?

The variations are luckily not too bad these days. A steadily very high pH with very low KH and GH. Also, there is sometimes visible ammonia from the tap, and sometimes not. I'm frustrated because when I called them and asked about the weird pH and ammonia levels, the lady behaved suspiciously and told me verbatim:

"I wouldn't know anything about anything like that."

Really? Don't you work there? In other news, I can do the 25% every other day just fine.

Perhaps you should have asked her to connect you to someone who would know.  People who are experts on water quality don't usually answer phones.

Twice a week water changes???   Glad I found this forum.  I'm getting back into fish after being away for 10 years and am thinking about  getting a 100 gallon goldfish  setup.  In the past, we had salt  and fresh water tanks.  The aquarium store owner told me that with today's  filtration systems, weekly  water  changes  were a thing of the past.  He said monthly  changes with weekly water testing  would be fine.    I really need to know  what's needed for a tank  this size.   We're looking at  5-6  small fancy  goldfish for a 100 gallon tank. Thanks for your input.

Perhaps you should have asked her to connect you to someone who would know.  People who are experts on water quality don't usually answer phones.

I did ask her if there was someone I could get into contact with and she told me that I would need to call the "Scott Candler" laboratory out here to get a test and then go from there.

Twice a week water changes???   Glad I found this forum.  I'm getting back into fish after being away for 10 years and am thinking about  getting a 100 gallon goldfish  setup.  In the past, we had salt  and fresh water tanks.  The aquarium store owner told me that with today's  filtration systems, weekly  water  changes  were a thing of the past.  He said monthly  changes with weekly water testing  would be fine.    I really need to know  what's needed for a tank  this size.   We're looking at  5-6  small fancy  goldfish for a 100 gallon tank. Thanks for your input.

Hello. You would not be overstocked, so one 50% change per week is recommended. However, if you notice water quality issues, you'll need to up those accordingly.

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.   Small fancy goldfish quickly become large fancy goldfish.  :)

You can often find Craigslist bargains on tanks of 100 gallons or more. 

I suggest you start with two small fish.  Don't let the guys at the store talk you into buying a bunch of expensive crap.  You need a filter (see guidelines), Seachem Prime water conditioner, the API Freshwater Master kit to test your water, some high quality goldfish pellets, and a siphon. 

Once you have the 100 gallon tank and filter, get it set up, fill with water, add Prime, and test the water for ammonia, nitrate, and pH.  Record the readings.  Start the filter going, and test pH again the next day.  Record that if it is different from the day before. 

Add the two fishies.  Change 10 gallons of water daily. Test the water every two to three days for ammonia and nitrite.  Expect zero readings. 

After three weeks, you can add another fish as long as you continue to read zero ammonia and nitrite.  You should plan on no more than 5 goldfish, but I recommend holding back on that, since you will always find a fish you just can't resist, and you should save room for it. 

After a month, if you prefer a weekly water change, you can switch to 50% a week.  This equals 10% a day in effectiveness of removing the dissolved substances that filters don't remove.  I use 10% a day.  Most people here do 50% (or more) a week.  You should begin to test nitrate weekly, and can probably reduce the other tests to weekly (before water change) as well.

And grand central advice from Sharon, as usual. I will say this, though... As for finding a goldfish that you can't resist, it'll likely keep happening regardless. You'll just have to learn some resistance!

Anyone else  here have their fish on well water? I still  plan to have it tested and am curious if it'll be that different from city water. Your thoughts?

nm

Edited by Hidr

Anyone else  here have their fish on well water? I still  plan to have it tested and am curious if it'll be that different from city water. Your thoughts?

I have well water. It is very hard. It also doesn't need to be dechlorinated. Not sure what sorta thoughts you are looking for?

Any other  treatments  needed for the well water? :thumbup2:

Some well water has little oxygen and quite a bit of carbon dioxide.  You can correct this with overnight aeration of the water you will use for water changes.  Test periodically for nitrate, since this can vary seasonally.  

If you get your water tested, you can ask that they determine its suitability for aquaculture as well as human use.