Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
elic173

Is this an ulcer?

Hi

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem with my goldfish.

It looks like an ulcer with black ammonia burn around the wound. Is this correct?

Is it ok to treat it topically with potassium permanganate?

Thanks

Eli215127ccbce6c743017fd340f7c6c5c0.jpg215127ccbce6c743017fd340f7c6c5c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will want to copy this form and fill it out. Then the helpers can better narrow down the perfect treatment for your fish.

Please check this link for the form.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-Help-Request-Check-List#entry1690453

Further info as requested:

Test Results for the Following:[*]* Ammonia Level(Tank)

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tank)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tank)

[*]* Ammonia Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tap)

[*]* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

[*]* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Unfortunately I don't have a test kit for the above :(

Other Required Info:

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]* Water temperature? 20degrees C

[*]* Tank size 20litre goldfish bowl.

and how long has it been running? 1 year.

[*]* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? None. As its a quarantine bowl.

[*]* How often do you change the water and how much? Everyday. 50%

[*]* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Everyday 50%

[*]* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 about 2 inches.

[*]* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Salt. 2 teaspoons for 20litres of water.

[*]* What do you feed your fish and how often? Every day. Goldfish flakes.

[*]* Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]* Any medications added to the tank? Potassium permanganate directly to the ulcer using an ear bud.

[*]* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Salt for 2 weeks added to the water. Potassium permanganate for 5 days.

[*]* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

See picture

[*]* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

No.

Since uploading the picture. A thin white cotton strand has come out of the wound. It's about 3cm long and 1mm thick. Could it be a worm or a secretion?

Yes, that is an ulcer.  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  Please get a test kit and test your water.  Show us a picture of the white thread.  

Potassium permanganate can injure tissue and keep the wound from healing.  Get some iodine, preferably povidone iodine, and some denture powder.   (I'm not recommending that particular brand, just showing a picture in case you call it something other than "denture powder" in SA.)

Swab the ulcer with iodine to clean it, then put a few drops in the wound.  Sprinkle denture powder on the wet wound until added powder stays dry.  This sticky mass should stay on the fish when you release it back into the tank.

With such a small container and a sick fish, you should change 100% of the water daily.  

Thanks so much for your detailed answer. Very helpful!

I have a couple of questions. 1. How often do I apply the iodine and denture powder?

2. How long do you think it will take for the wound to heal?

Thanks in advance

Eli

Edited by elic173

If it stays on, you probably don't have to reapply it.  The ulcer may heal under the "bandage."   I don't know how long it will take or even if it will heal.

Can I put the goldfish back into the main tank with the "bandage" or should I leave it in the quarantine bowl?

Put it in the quarantine bowl first.  If the "bandage" stays on, you can move it back into the main tank.  Koi people call this technique "first aid" for their fish with ulcers and put them back in the pond right after treatment.  If this treatment fails, they pull the fish out and try another.

Thanks again for the answer. So just to clarify. Once the bandage is on there is no/little risk of my other fish catching the ulcer, when I reintroduce the goldfish back into the main tank ?

Edited by elic173

What size is your main tank and how many fish are in it?  Do you have fish other than GF in your main tank?  Could you please post a pic of your main tank?

Fish don't "catch" ulcers.  Ulcers typically result from an Aeromonas infection.  All aquaria and ponds contain Aeromonas, a very common free-living bacterium which does not mind living in the tissue of a fish if it gets the chance.  It cannot produce an ulcer without a break in the slimecoat, scales, and skin.  Such a break can come from an injury or from parasite attachment points.  Most often the skin breaks result from flukes.  Praziquantel treats flukes effectively and safely, so I recommend you treat the main tank with praziquantel if you can get it.  

Thanks @shakaho that was an extremely succinct explanation. Keeping fish is always so fascinating especially if you manage to their solve problems. ;)

Hi @fantailfan1 here's a pic of my main tank. It's 3.43m length x 0.8m wide and 1.15m deep. It's got 9 koi, 1 comet and two I can't ID ;) plus the guy checked into my hospital tank. 4bb05c17e84218fad54e1387e809f2ec.jpg

Wow thats an impressive size!

Hi.

Unfortunately my gold fish passed away as it was suffering from an ulcer.

Now the last goldfish I have amongst my koi is not looking too health.

There are no visible signs I can see. Can anyone look at the picture I've posted and help me diagnose my last goldfish?

It does seem bloated and is very lethargic.

Thanks

Eli

Below are my tank specs.

067f34d3ca0f534e01638db5a9bad7a0.jpg

Test Results for the Following:[*]* Ammonia Level(Tank)

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tank)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tank)

[*]* Ammonia Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrite Level(Tap)

[*]* Nitrate level(Tap)

[*]* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

[*]* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Unfortunately I don't have a test kit for the above :(

Other Required Info:

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]* Water temperature? 20degrees C

[*]* Tank size 20litre goldfish bowl.

and how long has it been running? 1 year.

[*]* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? None. As its a quarantine bowl.

[*]* How often do you change the water and how much? Everyday. 50%

[*]* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Everyday 50%

[*]* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 about 2 inches.

[*]* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Salt. 2 teaspoons for 20litres of water.

[*]* What do you feed your fish and how often? Every day. Goldfish flakes.

[*]* Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]* Any medications added to the tank? Potassium permanganate directly to the ulcer using an ear bud.

[*]* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Salt for 2 weeks added to the water. Potassium permanganate for 5 days.

[*]* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

See picture

[*]* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

No.