Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sammy El-Tawil

URGENT! White blotches on all Fish!

Yes, no carbon in the tanks for any treatments. Quite frankly I don't advise carbon in ever, except to remove medications or specific impurities in the tap water.

Got it, so do you want an update in say 48-72 hours? No idea how quickly this is going to work, but it does state to use once every three weeks, which means I'm assuming that water changes should be kept low during these three weeks, or will it be fine to change 30% or so once a week?

Edited by Gainzster

Yes, no carbon in the tanks for any treatments. Quite frankly I don't advise carbon in ever, except to remove medications or specific impurities in the tap water.

Should update you guys.

Added the medication, when I added it I noticed roughly 30 minutes later she had a few pieces of mucus trailing, it's a bugger measuring this stuff, it's like sherbert, thankfully they provided a 1g scoop.

The biggest thing I notices was yawning, I've not seen this fish yawn much but it definitely became noticeable.

Not expecting much as it hasn't been a week, would you suggest adding salt to her tank while this is happening? API states 1tbsp per 5 gallons, what do you think? And water changes should not be done for the full 7 days?

Edited by Gainzster

Lastly, I've noticed her tail that recently split has started to unheal? It's been healing for a few weeks, it's about 90 recovered but either today or yesterday it's started to split again.

Again all water conditions perfect.

You cannot do any salt until the entirety of the treatment is removed - so a 100% water change or back to back changes to get the same effect. Then yes, you can salt, but I'd recommend beginning a 1 teaspoon per goal on and working your way up if needed. Even a little salt should stimulate the slime coat but the gasping and extra slime coat sloughing off makes me want to keep stress lower and give your fish a break before utilizing another treatment. Clean water and low salt should be helpful.

These instructions should be very helpful to you in following salt treatment protocols:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

You cannot do any salt until the entirety of the treatment is removed - so a 100% water change or back to back changes to get the same effect. Then yes, you can salt, but I'd recommend beginning a 1 teaspoon per goal on and working your way up if needed. Even a little salt should stimulate the slime coat but the gasping and extra slime coat sloughing off makes me want to keep stress lower and give your fish a break before utilizing another treatment. Clean water and low salt should be helpful.

These instructions should be very helpful to you in following salt treatment protocols:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/

Will listen, it's why I never added it!

She isn't gasping, she was yawning quite frequently but I haven't seen her do it for awhile, I'm just concerned that her tail split has receeded back slightly, it's kinda freaked me out.

Honestly she seems a lot less jumpy, and she's switched her sleeping spot to the other corner since adding the treatment weirdly enough.

Last post, sorry!

Could my filters be doing this to her? I have established green algae on my internal pumps, I've always been told it's good for all aquariums, just a shot in the dark, but it never caused any problems for my other two fishes. I think it's visible on the videos, but it's well established on the outside.

And thanks Mama.

Edited by Gainzster

Small update.

Bits of mucus are coming off ever so slightly, but it's probably spreading more than it's coming off.

Here's a surprise, my small fish who I removed from my main tank into a QT is currently pooing out what I'm sure is a worm, currently at 3 inches in length, it has ridges to its appearance if that makes sense? And I've never seen anything like it in my main tank.

I've been white, hollow poo quite frequently over the years but not this.

Can you take a picture?

Wow, I've not seen something like this before. Maybe others have.

Wow, I've not seen something like this before. Maybe others have.

It looked like a worm, it cannot be food or can it be? She hasn't been fed until I saw it coming out, I've starved her through the Prazi medication. If it's food it's weird, but I could pick it up, move it around, it didnt break apart and it did have ridges.

I've seen large white stringy poo before lol, but this.. Yuck.

She was in my main tank for two days, I'm assuming I need to treat that tank with Prazi then? I did change my mind on it as my fish are no longer flashing in there.

Edited by Gainzster

Can you take a picture?

http://s32.postimg.org/w51fia545/image.jpg

It was solid, had ridges, looked like a worm..

That doesn't look like a worm/parasite. It looks like semi-clear fish poop which can caused by stress/diet. My female oranda does those type of poops quite often especially after feeding her peas or repashy. 

Edited by alexloo11

How come you have stopped feeding her? Please remind me: how many rounds of prazi and over what time period?

Can you take a picture?

http://s32.postimg.org/w51fia545/image.jpg

It was solid, had ridges, looked like a worm..

That doesn't look like a worm/parasite. It looks like semi-clear fish poop which can caused by stress/diet. My female oranda does those type of poops quite often especially after feeding her peas or repashy.

I hope so, but it had the consistency of a maggot.

How come you have stopped feeding her? Please remind me: how many rounds of prazi and over what time period?

For only 3 days, I starve all my fish for a few days now and again. This came out of a baby, not the Calico.

Nearly the end of the 7 days, still heavy mucus layer or whatever it is. Here's a video from today, still thick, you guys still think this can't be fungus?

Edited by Gainzster

Can you post video link?

7 days of prazi is not enough. See ArcticMama's post #33 for treatment. I'd copy it here but can't do it very easily on my iPad (so weird, that).

You'll want to do three rounds of prazi. If that doesn't work then several rounds of prazi with salt dips.

The mucus looking stuff looks to me like slime buildup due to parasites including flukes. Slime buildup looks mucus-y.

You can treat the fish in the main tank (where the fish is, correct?) like this:

Day 1 Big water change (50%+), dose prazi

Days 2-5 Just observe

Day 6 Big water change, dose prazi

Days 7-10 Just observe

Day 11 Big water change, dose prazi

Days 12-15 Just observe

Day 16 Let us know how it is going. We may want to walk you through salt dips.

You can adjust the days a bit with a minimum of 3-4 days of "just observe" time in between dosing prazi. If you've done one dose then start at day 6 with 2nd dose.

Does this make sense?

I don't see a thing in the two second video but normal plaques and blemishes. Maybe some slightly thickened slime coat. Definitely treat for flukes FIRST and see if that solves the issue, don't just jump straight for the Interpet.

I really don't think it is anything to worry about at present from all I've seen in these pictures/vids. But if you're seeing something we aren't then start with fluke treatment and go from there. The worst thing you can do is stress your fish with a wrong medication, weaken them, and then have a more difficult to treat or persistent problem take hold. Resist the urge to bomb your tank with the toughest med you can find. There is NO indication that formalin or malachite green is needed for this. Like, zilch. If you are worried please start with salt dips and the fluke meds.

http://www.kokosgold...m/Saltbath.html

If you do the Interpet against our advice, please do not do it with ANY salt in the water. Or salt dips. It will react with the formalin and may kill your animals over some splotches. Which, if I may say, would stink!

To recap:

Fluke treatments.

Fluke treatments and salt bath/dips.

If three rounds of those don't work, remove all salt and run a course of Interpet no 8.