Phil B.

My plants just aren't thriving

68 posts in this topic

The temp tends to stay pretty constant at around 69-73. The latter only on hot days.

I'll let everyone know about the hardness when the kit arrives in a few days.

Hun what is your  KH and GH hun?

I was having some of your problems too lately, I found my mollies hated the Iron stuff and had to stop using it.

But on a fix for another problem I found my plants really like this... Wonder shells, I know guys, they might be better what for it but I find them easy to use. Just plop them in and let the dissolve... My plants are happier and so are my fish..

SO I just wondered if you have a low KH and GH like mine and your plants are using it all up, if so that could be why your one fish isnt happy either. :o

They are full of calcium and magnesium, so it's no wonder why they like them! :)

Low KH isn't generally an issue for plants from what I've seen. Low GH can be, but then you get those people with a low GH that can grow anything as well; go figure. :idont

Hun what is your  KH and GH hun?

I was having some of your problems too lately, I found my mollies hated the Iron stuff and had to stop using it.

But on a fix for another problem I found my plants really like this... Wonder shells, I know guys, they might be better what for it but I find them easy to use. Just plop them in and let the dissolve... My plants are happier and so are my fish..

SO I just wondered if you have a low KH and GH like mine and your plants are using it all up, if so that could be why your one fish isnt happy either. :o

They are full of calcium and magnesium, so it's no wonder why they like them! :)

Low KH isn't generally an issue for plants from what I've seen. Low GH can be, but then you get those people with a low GH that can grow anything as well; go figure. :idont

YEah I had low KH in one house and the plants wherent happy at all....

This place has low KH and GH and once I stopped with the Iron sups My fish where happier, So I just started using wondershellls and Bingo my plants started to go nuts and the fish where alot happier...

Im thinking this might be the issue here as the Phil is in WA and Im in OR so the water here once it starts to rain gets out of wack :(

I live in Seattle. My anubias got happier once I started supplementing with the GH booster from Green Leaf Aquarium. My understanding is that anubias need calcium. I would try this same strategy for java fern if the GH does indeed test low.

Test kit is in the mail, along with a big bottle of Flourish Excel. So we'll see.

We get our city water from an underground aquifer. So its entirely possible that its too clean. :)

Edited by Phil B.

Im really bad at chemistry, but I read something about KH and it said:

When kh drops a bit it can indicate a low level of CO2.

When it is low plants can break the carbonate bonds as a carbon source.

If Kh low in 0-2 range using the carbonate as a carbon source can increase in acidity, when left can cause ph crash. ???

Two more days, two more leaves floating around the tank rotted at the stem. :( Wish that damned Excel would get here!

I use the Excel, I find it helps a little, but not a lot. My tank is low on Co2 and very low on KH and GH. I'm going to try upping the GH and see what that does. My Wisteria is looking nice, the water sprite, Amazon sword, banana plant are doing okay, too... But I lost all of the Bacopia, the Red Ludwigia isn't doing too well, and the Java Ferns are just a mess.

Until you get Excel, you can keep the lights off. That way the plants won't require the CO2 for growth. That may help to reduce the decay.

At the moment the test kit is sitting on a truck somewhere between California and Seattle.

I'll start the Excel treatment after tonights water change.

Ah, I finally got a reply from an aquarium plant group I just joined. They're suggesting that I start using Phosphate and Trace Element supplements.

I read that tanks with GH issues can try Seachem Equilibrium... Though I'm not sure how or if it works. It doesn't seem popular, but that's probably because extremely low GH isn't popular.

I think Seattle is known for having very soft water.  I will be curious to see what your gh and kh are. 

I have ongoing problems with diatoms too and I am thinking it is the silica pool filter sand that I used as substrate.  Just throwing that out there.  My plant all look like :ill too.  I am thinking about trashing them and getting rid of the sand...  Maybe I'll start up again with some potted plants.  I have a water softener but I replete the Ca/Mg with Seachem Replenish to at least 4-5.  The little salt that is in the water from the water softener and the Replenish "shouldn't" kill anubias... but still they are like blah, but it could very well be my over scrubbing the diatoms etc...    :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown 

I use equilibrium at the moment for my gh, it is good but pricey! I'm going to try a new one I found continuum flora Viv Gh+:

a4344720fbc341b397319ce74157b2f1.jpg

Also it is really hard to get equilibrium and when I purchase I like to be able to get the stuff I need from the one place, to save on postage

Edited by Speckles

I have extremely soft water with very high pH (around 9). I just ordered Equilibrium. It was almost $13. Ouch. Just want to try it. It seems highly recommended.

Hey guys. The test kit arrived today and my water tested at a KH of 3, and a GH of 4. My pH is around 7.8 to 8 or so. That range where it's off the scale of the regular API pH test, but too low to measure on the High pH test. :P

So good? Bad?

Edited by Phil B.

I'd say fine. There are a handful of plants, things like tonina and eriocaulons that tend to only grow in soft water, for everything else I still maintain softness doesn't matter. Your GH is the same as mine too, and I don't have the same problems.

As far as dosing phosphates and trace elements go, you might see some improvement with the phosphates, especially if they are non-existent. As for trace elements, you're already dosing them if you're still using Flourish. :)

I still think something like duckweed or a hygrophila will tell you what's going on. These plants tend to react very quickly to changes, both negative and positive.

I tried Wonder Shells. Expensive. Caused pretty NASTY algae growth in the week I've had them. Fail! Covered most of my plants, some of the tank wall, and some seashells etc. Very messy. I have the Equilibrium now. After I boot all this new algae, I think I'll try it instead.