Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
mj23dream

Shamelessly 'cloned' Sharon's stock pond -)

15 posts in this topic

Thanks Sharon for the inspiration and the detailed build instructions for the stock pond (with play sand), the diy filter, and the chicken wire cover. 

http://s30.postimg.org/eo8r9au5d/pond1.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/bl8ywb9m7/pond2.jpg

Pardon the water cloudiness, I just put in the play sand.

Next project will be the continuous water change. Can't wait to take the goldies out, hopefully it gets warmer here in the East Coast soon.

Hey!  I put it there for cloning or improvising on.  I'm a little concerned about the cover since I don't see a "lip" around the sides to keep it from getting pushed off.

You will love continuous water change, and so will your fish.

Hey!  I put it there for cloning or improvising on.  I'm a little concerned about the cover since I don't see a "lip" around the sides to keep it from getting pushed off.

You will love continuous water change, and so will your fish.

It has a lip Sharon, it's just the angle of the shot. Thanks again. Any suggestions for plants and where can I possibly get them? Daughter is teasing me it looks so bare. 

Awesome job! :nana

I want one... But even viewing the tutorial... I know that I can't make the things properly. My brother is DEAD SET on digging a pond, so I'm just hanging tight for now.

I notice you get a lot of splash when the water exits the filter.  That water loss can add up over time.  Extending the exit pipes can help,  but you can also get plants into the picture here.   Showing  a rather ugly picture:

061.jpg

You see plants in the top of the filter, and also plants in the rail planter from Lowes that sits on a "rail" across the tub (2x4 wrapped in plastic).  Those in the top of the filter grow in pots of gravel or hydropnic medium.  

I drilled holes in the bottom of the side "legs" of the planter for the water to return to the pond, stuffed the legs with filter padding, and then filled the planter with hydroponic medium.  I used expanded clay pellets in this planter, but I prefer the recycled glass grow stones, which weigh less and seem to promote better plant growth.  Then I plant in the medium.

My filter has a single outlet pipe, so I had to attach a "holey pipe" going across the planter to distribute the water.  If you built one of these, you could just extend your three pipes so they go over the edge of the planter, and get good water distribution.

Where does the hose from the pump enter the filter?  

Great ideas Sharon but my main concern is the cover for the stock tank which I plan to use everytime (I don't trust squirels and other criters here in my area). I was thinking of adding floating plants, as well as some filtering plants directly atop the filter. 

As far as the tube from the tank to the filter, it doesnt show on the picture but it goes behind the filter.  

I notice you get a lot of splash when the water exits the filter.  That water loss can add up over time.  Extending the exit pipes can help,  but you can also get plants into the picture here.   Showing  a rather ugly picture:

061.jpg

You see plants in the top of the filter, and also plants in the rail planter from Lowes that sits on a "rail" across the tub (2x4 wrapped in plastic).  Those in the top of the filter grow in pots of gravel or hydropnic medium.  

I drilled holes in the bottom of the side "legs" of the planter for the water to return to the pond, stuffed the legs with filter padding, and then filled the planter with hydroponic medium.  I used expanded clay pellets in this planter, but I prefer the recycled glass grow stones, which weigh less and seem to promote better plant growth.  Then I plant in the medium.

My filter has a single outlet pipe, so I had to attach a "holey pipe" going across the planter to distribute the water.  If you built one of these, you could just extend your three pipes so they go over the edge of the planter, and get good water distribution.

and by the way Sharon, what kind of plants are these? And are these available in HD/Lowes?

Great ideas Sharon but my main concern is the cover for the stock tank which I plan to use everytime (I don't trust squirels and other criters here in my area). I was thinking of adding floating plants, as well as some filtering plants directly atop the filter. 

As far as the tube from the tank to the filter, it doesnt show on the picture but it goes behind the filter.  

061.jpg

Edited by shakaho

Thanks Sharon for the inspiration and the detailed build instructions for the stock pond (with play sand), the diy filter, and the chicken wire cover. 

http://s30.postimg.org/eo8r9au5d/pond1.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/bl8ywb9m7/pond2.jpg

Pardon the water cloudiness, I just put in the play sand.

Next project will be the continuous water change. Can't wait to take the goldies out, hopefully it gets warmer here in the East Coast soon.

Oh wow id love to see Sharon's link for this and clone my own :teehee. Could you post it for me  :peeka 

Your pond looks really great! Cant wait to see it stocked and in action!!

I think I found it!

Read this  and this for principles,  then read this for "how to".

As far as the tube from the tank to the filter, it doesn't show on the picture but it goes behind the filter.

Plants in the filter work great and look great.  A trickle filter like the one using the rail planter can sit on top of a cover.  If you use hydroponic medium for planting, you can easily lift the entire thing off  when you want to get into the pond. The rail planter will sit on either a 2x4 or a 2x6.  I used a 2x4  so the water would come out silently under the surface.  If you use a 2x6,  the bottom of the side legs will be level with the the bottom of the 2x6, so you can set it on top of the cover.  I have also used a plain planter like the bottom one in the stack here:

021-Copy.jpg

I don't recommend stacking these for planting since only the top one works.  I wrapped a 2x6 in plastic and fastened the planter tray to that.  The planter just sits in the tray.  

Terrestrial plants all seem to grow well in trickle planters like these.  Herbs and leafy greens grow well in these as well as ornamentals.   I like to set the pots in the top of the filter so at least two or three inches of planting medium don't sit below the water level.  To keep large plants in a pot from tipping over, I use gravel in the bottom of the pot for weight.

I want to know where the water from the pond enters the filter vertically.  Near the bottom?

and by the way Sharon, what kind of plants are these? And are these available in HD/Lowes?

In the filter, you see a strawberry plant, a pineapple, and a fern.  The strawberry plant came from Lowes/HD, the pineapple I grew from the top of one I bought in a grocery, and the fern was a volunteer that appeared in a pot of something else.

In the planter,  I see calla lily, strawberries, and Sagittaria, or arrowhead.  I failed completely at growing callas, while many people said they thrived in water.  I bought plants and they died.  Finally I found some bulbs, put them in the planter, and they grew.   A native plant, arrowhead grows like crazy in a filter or in the pond.

In the pond, you see a water lily, which I probably got at Lowes.   

In the picture above you see canna lilies in the pond, planted below the water level.  These grow huge in the top of a filter, bloom beautifully,  and suck up lots of nitrate and pollutants.  They can remove heavy metals from the water.

I have rain lilies in both the top of the filter and in the trickle filter. These grow in the water and multiply like crazy.   They aren't frost hardy, so you can bring them inside in winter.

I don't know a better way of choosing plants than trial and error.  

My latest update on my outdoor goldfish pond - fishies loving it -)

Beautiful.

LOVE your pond :)