Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jenna Antonelli

Male Goldfish..Frustration?

This is going to be one of the weirder questions i've asked in my life but..

Do male goldfish get, for lack of a better term, blue balls? I KNOW, it's silly, but I have a young male ryukin/butterfly absolutely covered head to tail in breeding stars. He is a stud! Super dominant and feisty. He is only kept with another male of his size because he chases all the females and small males endlessly. I have no females who are in breeding mode, who can stand his...enthusiasm. 

So, do you think a male who is ready and geared up to mate is going crazy not ..mating? I just wonder if I had a female with eggs and let them do their dance..that he would maybe calm down? I've tried for months to keep him in a room temp tank, no heater, 68-72F and he is still in mating mode. I really don't want to keep him solo, he has been recently separated from the other male because that male's stars have faded and he's calmed down as well. So he gets bullied basically...

Anyway, im rambling..I just wonder if anyone has experience with jacked up young males :P Should I rehome my baby to someone with a pond and lots of lady fish he can chase? He just seems like he has too much energy to be in an aquarium of any size. BTW he's currently in a 40B all by himself.

This is funny, I'm sorry I can't help, but it made me laugh.

Anyway, good luck!

Edited by Acro

Well I had a fish Pharoh, he only breed once with me and his two girls. I had him for 9 years and never after the one time would he breed. I think sometimes some males just dont care about breeding :rofl

phfi2.jpg

This was his one baby that made it to about a year old. Then she got so tall and fat she flipped over badly and died. Mind you this about 10 years ago :o

His baby

9.jpg

Sexually frustrated goldfish?! Can't say I've seen it. Just some normal chasing behavior mimicking breeding, but it goes away when the light and temperature slip out of optimal.