Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
morningleaf

Fluval Prefilter Rings?

I accidentally bought the Fluval prefilter rings instead of the normal ceramic. They look about the same as the normal rings, but I'm not sure how to tell if they're a different material and porous enough to hold a cycle... does anyone have experience here? Also, if they won't hold bacteria, is there any good use for them or should I see about sending them back?

They will work, I've done the same thing.  One will just hold a little more good bacteria because it has more texture, thus more space for bacteria.  However, people have used a huge variety of things in a filter for good bacteria, and a huge variety of them will work.  Most often different clay, ceramic and plastic bits are used.  I've even heard of people using rings from milk jugs, plastic hair beads and legos.

Yes, they're fine :)

I use them all the time.   I use a mix of the prefilter rings and the biomax.  The prefilter rings last longer and are less crumbly so I sorta prefer them.  :idont