Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jenzaar

Found filter turned off... smelly smells

Last night I found that my Fluval 406 was off.... I don't know for how long. :yikes

I took it apart and wooaahhhhh baby! That is some aroma. :thud:death

I'm searching in the archives but not finding much, there is just a thin line between searches being too broad and too specific. I'll keep looking, but in the meantime, what am I supposed to do? :o

The sponges are soaking in a super hot bucket of water and I'll keep changing that for a while. I will probably bleach them, but what about the media?

I did see here that carbon can help some with the smell (and I was thinking to throw some in to see if/how it affects the color from some tannins), but I think I'm dealing with a different thing altogether. 

Just some info on my setup

125 gallon tank

Stocking - 5 fish between 75g and 100-ish g, 2 little guys stuck around 20g

Water changes twice a week - one 90% and a ~50-75% midweek

Two filters - one Fluval 406 and a Fluval FX6. both established, I'm confident that the FX6 can take care of the bioload if I need to start with new media.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jenzaar

I'm sorry.... But smelly smells made me :teehee

I don't know what to say as far as advice, but good luck! :nana

I'm sorry.... But smelly smells made me  :teehee

I don't know what to say as far as advice, but good luck!  :nana

:rofl thanks

I think I might have to toss everything :/

I'm not even going to try with the media. The sponges are in bleach now, I'm about to check on them, but if it seems like I won't be able to get the smell out I might just have to suck it up and buy new ones. 

Sorry to hear that happened. Hope everything works out.

Do you think it's been off for days more than hours?

Sorry to hear that happened. Hope everything works out.

Thanks Dawn

Do you think it's been off for days more than hours?

Oh it has to have been for days. I've never smelled anything like that from my tank...

I had hoped it somehow unplugged yesterday (i found it last night) but, not so lucky :rolleyes:

I would think as long as the media is wet it's still good . . .   I think bleaching the sponges to get rid of the smell is a good idea but I'd leave the media alone, clean the rest of the filter, replace the water and hopefully things will smell ok.  :D

I threw out the media :peeka

It just stunk so bad, I wouldn't feel right to put it back in.

I do have a few new bags of it. The sponges do still smell a little bit. Would it get better after time do you think?

I would think so.  Just keep your eye on your parameters as you're basically cycling your tank now.  I'm assuming you have another filter?  But still the amount of media in that Fluval is significant . . . 

I wonder if the smell was from the anerobic decomposition process considering that the dissolved oxygen in the filter was gone. It sounds like you have a good water change schedule so I am guessing the filter was not filthy? I think after a good rinsing I would flow some water through it from a container besides the aquarium (like fill the sink with water...) and then give it a go.

I would think so.  Just keep your eye on your parameters as you're basically cycling your tank now.  I'm assuming you have another filter?  But still the amount of media in that Fluval is significant . . . 

Yeah I have an FX6 on it too. will definitely pay attention to parameters.

Ok I will give those sponges one last sniff and if they're not too bad i'll put it all back together. :)

I wonder if the smell was from the anerobic decomposition process considering that the dissolved oxygen in the filter was gone. It sounds like you have a good water change schedule so I am guessing the filter was not filthy? I think after a good rinsing I would flow some water through it from a container besides the aquarium (like fill the sink with water...) and then give it a go.

The filter was weird. You know how when you put your sponges in a bucket, stuff comes out of it after a minute and settles at the top? It was like that happened, all the stuff came out  of the sponges and was just sitting at the top of the water. I gave it a cleaning two weeks ago so i thought it would be pretty clean, but so much came out of it, and barely anything was in the sponges. :idont

Do you mean fill the sink up, and rig up all the tubing to run water from that and through the filter? 

Silver will clean that out nicely... :)

What does it smell like?  Sewage?  Rotten fish?  I hope you haven't disposed of all your medium.   Cycling all over again isn't much fun.

Ideally, you would have washed the media in conditioned water to remove as much stink as possible, then tossed in some carbon to clean up the rest of the stink, and resumed filtration.  Bad smells don't harm fish.

Silver will clean that out nicely... :)

What does it smell like?  Sewage?  Rotten fish?  I hope you haven't disposed of all your medium.   Cycling all over again isn't much fun.

Ideally, you would have washed the media in conditioned water to remove as much stink as possible, then tossed in some carbon to clean up the rest of the stink, and resumed filtration.  Bad smells don't harm fish.

Rotten fish smell I'd say? 

I did toss it all out, considering that the sponges still smelled after being bleached I couldn't imagine that the media would clear up anytime soon. I swished them around in a few bowls of tank water and it didn't do much difference. :idont

Premature, yeah, but it was one of those things that I'd just not feel good about. and also the panic switch got the best of me this time :rofl

I read your first post and see that you have another filter running.  That makes life a lot easier.  When you set up the 406 with fresh medium, add some medium from the FX6.  This will speed reseeding.  Cut fish rations in half for 3 days.  Then, if you have no ammonia/nitrite, gradually increase the feeding. 

This is turning into a very interesting thread :)

Oh, yeah i would not have had such an easy time throwing them out if that was my only filter. :rofl

Thanks. I'll report back if anything changes. :thumbs:

Tested the water. Ammonia and Nitrite both look to be zero, maybe there is a hint in each, but it's closer to zero than anything.

I plan to do a water change tomorrow anyway, but if i should work one in now let me know. :)

Tested again, everything definitely looked like Zero to me! :nana and nothing smells :rofl

Tank is filling back up now. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Great news!

No more smelly smells? :lol2

That's gross, but I'd have just rinsed it and let it run in a bucket for a few weeks to flush out anything gross and let it rebalance itself :)

Anything in a bucket for a few weeks still winds up in the trash! Nope! :rofl

Well you certainly could run it in a normal tank but I wouldn't want to expose my fish to whatever may have cultured. I also wouldn't wipe out the entire filter.