Kokos Goldfish Forum
GothSpice

Post-quarantine reintroduction

So I've had my two goldfish separated for just over two weeks while I've been treating one for... I'm not quite sure but it was definitely some sort of parasite! Anyways, he's bright-eyed and bushy-tailed again, and today is his last day of medicine. So, day after tomorrow, I need to reintroduce him to the main tank.

I've never done this before. He and his former tankmate are very young, and were only held together briefly, so I doubt they'd recognize each other. What's the safest, calmest way to reintroduce them?

If you're worried about aggression, from my experience, I've never had seen aggression after reintroducing goldfish to the main tank.  They may chase each other around a little bit bc they're excited, but it's not like a hamster, or a dog, where you need to be careful introducing them to each other in someone's "territory."

Other than that, I'm sure you know to put Asimov into a bag (I just use a ziploc) and float him in the main tank for about 20 min to make sure he adjusts to any temperature differences.  You shouldn't have to add tank water to his bag, since they're both in water from your sink so the parameters should be the same.  

Unless one of the tanks has a heater, there shouldn't be water temperature differences.  Just scoop him up and put him  in the main tank.  They may recognize one another and may  even perform a sort of "greeting ceremony" in which reunited fish swim in circles around one another.  One fish may persistently follow the other, or they might each just go about their own business.

Awesome! Okay, yeah I was worried it'd be like trying to introduce new cats XD That takes a load of pressure off my mind!

My fish seemed fine when I put them back together. Some chasing but nothing major. I'd not worry.

Provided the parameters match I wouldn't worry about it. They may take a little while to adjust to one another again but I doubt it ;)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Yea when I'm introducing fish back to their homes after a QT I just scoop them up in a container, and then use my hand to scoop them out the cntainer and into the main tank/pond (after checking that the temp matches)

Ooookay that failed miserably. Kritlaq immediately started attacking Asimov and hounding him all around the tank when I put them together last night. I hoped that they'd calm down by morning, but when I checked on them Asimov was cowering in the corner clamping his fins -_-" Sooo I separated them again... Asimov is about 2/3 the size of Kritlaq, who is about thumb-sized. Should I just wait until the 55 gallon is set up to reintroduce them? Does anybody know what would make a good tank divider? *sigh*

How big is the tank that had both of the fish?

20 gallons per fish will help and may reduce the aggressiveness, but won't know for sure until you try. They sound relatively young, so the aggression shouldn't be breeding behavior.

I've not used a tank divider before but others on Koko's have. You'll want one which allows water to move back and forth. I hope others chime in here with recommendations.

You can try to "train" Kritlaq to stop being aggressive. Get a colander, like this one http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Quart-White-Plastic-Colander/dp/B000HM83OQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459733934&sr=8-2&keywords=Plastic+colander. (Make sure whatever colander you get fits into your tank.) When Kritlaq starts chasing Asimov, you scoop him up in the colander and float the colander and your fish in the tank (you can try up to 1 hour). After awhile release him from the colander. When he starts to chase Asimov again, scoop him up and float him in the colander. Repeat as needed or until you see it doesn't work.

It's only a 10 gallon. I started this crazy journey with a free 5 gallon tank, and went out and got a 10 gallon as a reasonably-priced upgrade that I could keep as a quarantine tank down the road. Kritlaq has been in the 10, and I tried to add Asimov, but no dice.

I'm doing everything I can to get the 55 up and running and cycled, but I may just have to keep them separate until then :/

When I put them both in the 55 though, I'll definitely try that colander trick!