Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
mjfromga

Testing kit KH/GH usage. Am I doing this right?

7 posts in this topic

I tend to screw up the usage test kits, so I did a video of me trying to test this stuff and just wanted to know if I did things right. The GH test was so hard. The water BARELY HAD ANY COLOR TO IT, and its all so friggin complicated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y41LAbXCpz8

I was told we have a high PH (duh) and very soft water... Not ideal at all as the potential for pH swings are very high which of course is bad for the fish. The readings aren't consistent either. Laat time the water turned immediately yellow on the KH test and the pH tends to be higher than today. Excuse my babbling, it helps me along.

Edited by mjfromga

I think you did fine. I don't recall if you shook the test liquids well first or not but I'd be sure to do that if you didn't. I had to keep putting in tons of drops so I was wondering if I did it right too!

Thanks! I shook those when I pulled them out, but I'll shake twice always just in case. On another note, my KH and GH are both very low :(

Edited by mjfromga

My pH is always an issue. Sometimes the tank reads 8.2 (what I'm aiming for) and then other times it reads 8.4 or higher. I use a consistent buffer, but my GH and KH are just incredibly low and my pH is incredibly high so its hard to maintain. Does anybody else have these odd tap numbers? Sometimes the tank reads 8.2 on water change day, but then sometimes I get that dark ugly 8.8 or higher reading. Kinda annoying and despite doing the same thing to buffer the tank, I can't keep it stable all the time. The tap likes to jump around too, as mentioned. When I inquired, the lady at the watershed place told me I believe verbatim "I wouldn't know anything about anything like that". Dodgy much?

I didn't watch the video (sorry data miser), but if you use a rubber glove (or just Saran Wrap your thumb) you can use your finger to close up the test tube to invert it without having to cap and recap.

The color change can be subtle and easiest to see if you look DOWN through the tube over a white surface.

You can use baking soda to raise your KH and a gh booster like Seachem Replenish (amongst many others) to raise gh.

If you have a lot of aeration you may be off gassing so much CO2 that you are pushing up your pH. My pond sits in the high 8s and is fine. My tank creeps up over time as well (both heavily aerated).

I did have a white surface, thanks! My pH comes from the tap at 8.4 and usually higher so its really not going up much in the tank. I can usually maintain it at 8.2-8.4 but it does sometimes go up to the ugly 8.8 looking purple. I use baking soda with minimal effectiveness and haven't tried a GH booster yet.