Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Candybugs

Oranda questions

My oranda is getting her wen trimmed at the vet today it's the vets first time doing it and I'm so nervous. Is there any info that we may need . How much do we take off is it painful . Is it like skin or hair. b2fc2db459b60e084dca9c2514c06773.jpgit's covering her eyes so it has to be done. I wish I found this forum sooner. Any info on this would be helpful.

Helen has a couple of threads on here that has some good information. I don't have any wened fish so I'm no expert but if I remember right its more like hair or fingernails in that it has no feeling.

It also don't have to be cut out of the eyes from a health standpoint really. But it does effectively make the fish blind when it grows over them.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon. I know a few people on here has done the procedure themselves.

Lisa did an awesome video too. I would highly recommend watching her video and how she did the procedure.

Wens don't have nerves or pain sensors from what I've gathered. Also, many fish seem to function okay blinded or partially blinded. If there are lots of competitors for food, I so suggest trimming it, though. There were good videos all over. Be careful around the actual eye and you'll be fine.

I've done it successfully before, but I think it's good to have a vet do it if that is an option.  They are more experienced with scalpels, surgery, etc. as well as infection management.  The fish are usually under an anesthetic and shouldn't feel any pain.  I think it is a good thing to do in order to help the fish maintain it's vision.  The problem is that it can grow back.