Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fish Of Gold

My aquarium's water is giving us big shocks!

I put off doing a WC on my tropical tank until today seeing that yesterday was Easter. I was trying to do the WC with just my left hand in the water because I got a wound on my right hand thumb on Saturday. But the suction cups on the pond pump were coming off so I used my right hand in the water anyway. Well it hurt my wound like hell to put my hand in the water, which was weird because while taking a shower, or while washing my hands. I went to wash my hand off in the bathroom and it didn't hurt. Anyway I went and put my hands back in the tank after putting the loose suction cups back on and the water it hurt like hell again. I started thinking of the topic I started last year on my fish with crooked spines and someone mentioning it could be caused my an electrical current in my tank, so I told my Fiancé and he came into the room and just barely dipped the tip of his finger in the tank's water and he pulled it back suddenly, he got a shock from the water! :yikes  I found the volt meter that I bought last year for the tank and it registered at almost 16 on meter, so there was electric current in my tropical tank now!! :blink:  I remembered what I was told last year about unplugging one electrical item at a time. I unplugged the left heater, and retested with the volt meter and it was 0. So that was the culprit, the heater! :mad:  I started examining it and it has a huge crack in the case so no wonder we got shocked! :madrant  Should have thought of electric current before because my Zebra Danios and White Clouds were getting crooked spines again.

The heater is an Aqueon 100 heater and is about 5 or 6 years old I think :hummm I can't remember if the Aqueon heaters are the ones with a lifetime guarantee or not. If so, how do I go about it? Do I contact the Aqueon company about a replacement heater? Do I need a receipt? I definitely don't have the receipt anymore, I got rid of a lot of paperwork when I moved here 2 1/2 years ago.  

Plus I'm curious, how are the fish not shocked like my Fiancé and I were when we put our hand in the water, or even why the fish don't die when there is an electric current in their tank's water??

Big crack in heater casing:

102_7283.jpg

If ever you get a shock immediately unplug all the equipment and test it in another container separately. Reaching in is dangerous if you've already felt a shock, as I'm sure you know. Sometimes the fish seem fine or it isn't fatal but obviously we want to rectify the situation as soon as possible. Heaters are almost always the culprits, but it's good to test everything to be sure.

I'm so glad your fish were safe and you weren't hurt either. Electricity and water are no joke together!

I wouldn't contact Aqueon about a replacement unless it was still under warrantee (doubtful). However if you aren't already make sure you always turn the heater off if the water is drained or it is moved. Cracks in the casing usually are caused by the heater running dry and the temperature spike causing thermal stress to the glass or plastic. Many people change water out without turning off their filters and heaters and it's a bad practice unless you're keeping all intakes and objects below the water line 100% of the time, by gradual dumps and fills rather than one or two bigger ones.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I wonder if it is possible the fish didn't die because they aren't "grounded"?

If ever you get a shock immediately unplug all the equipment and test it in another container separately. Reaching in is dangerous if you've already felt a shock, as I'm sure you know. Sometimes the fish seem fine or it isn't fatal but obviously we want to rectify the situation as soon as possible. Heaters are almost always the culprits, but it's good to test everything to be sure.

I'm so glad your fish were safe and you weren't hurt either. Electricity and water are no joke together!

I wouldn't contact Aqueon about a replacement unless it was still under warrantee (doubtful). However if you aren't already make sure you always turn the heater off if the water is drained or it is moved. Cracks in the casing usually are caused by the heater running dry and the temperature spike causing thermal stress to the glass or plastic. Many people change water out without turning off their filters and heaters and it's a bad practice unless you're keeping all intakes and objects below the water line 100% of the time, by gradual dumps and fills rather than one or two bigger ones.

I always unplug the heaters, and if I forget to unplug them they run horizontally along the bottom of the tank a couple of inches above the sand anyway, so that probably isn't why the one cracked. I have the heater's instruction manual that I found now, and it does say lifetime warrantee on all Aqueon heaters, so I guess I can contact them, but I don't know what to say exactly :idont

Well if it is a lifetime guarantee then call them, indicate fracked heater casing and electrocution with proper operation - no drops, rock impacts, or running dry. Ask for a replacement to be mailed out and if they'd like pictures sent to their customer service email account.

Well if it is a lifetime guarantee then call them, indicate fracked heater casing and electrocution with proper operation - no drops, rock impacts, or running dry. Ask for a replacement to be mailed out and if they'd like pictures sent to their customer service email account.

Ok, I'll do that. Thank you very much for your time in helping me, I'll let you know what happens :)

Here's to no more electrocution :rofl2

That happened to me years and years ago... Oh the pain of getting shocked... :o

Dude Im so glad your okay. That could have been really bad. How are the fish ?

That happened to me years and years ago... Oh the pain of getting shocked... :o

Dude Im so glad your okay. That could have been really bad. How are the fish ?

Yeah it is not a good feeling. Weird though that I had both hands in the tank and only felt the shocking sensation on the wound area on my hand, but my fiancé just dipped the tip of his fingers in and got a huge shock. Wonder why he felt it more that I did? The fish are ok, but I have been seeing my fish with crooked spines and I read that it could be due to electric current in the water, but some have been passing away in the last week, so that was probably causing them to die, I don't know really. Today they seem to act differently, like not hiding as much and more active than the other day so maybe they were feeling the electric current in some way and now feel better that the bad heater is out of the tank.

Just got an email from the Aqueon company and they said to send it in to them, so I guess I'll have to pack it up and ship it back to them then. I hope they give me a replacement one then. They said it is a "limited lifetime warranty" so we'll see what they decide. I don't want to have to buy another heater, because I already have to buy an AC 70 and an AC 30 next month :doh11: