Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

Need help. All fish upside down.

I usually use 1 gram per Litre

So 125g = 473 litres = 473 grams of salt for 0.1% 

Its the easiest way I remember but then again would probbaly be harder without using litres all the time.

Good luck with your guys! hope they are on the mend soon!

Okay DP, I'll leave you to hash out the potato thing with Helen and Sharon as to their suitability in the tank and possible leeching issues.

Jared and I are on the same page - move the plecs and increase the salinity in the tank, as well as the temperature, over the next few days. I'd like you to get up to 78 degrees and .3% salinity. If this is parasitic we want to speed up the life cycle, and if it is a disease (viral or bacterial, in this case) the symptoms should become more obvious over the coming week and give us an avenue of treatment.

Check in with us after 1 week of salt and impeccable water quality - no laziness please, but partial changes of 25% every few days at a minimum. I know you're busy but I want to eliminate issues with the nitrates and decomposing organic matter as an issue in the equation and to keep the stress on their immune systems as low as possible. It may well be that we need a round of metro or paraguard (I've been super happy with how well the latter works, it's great stuff to have on hand) but at present we will just stick with salt, heat, and time.

Any questions?

Hi Taryl :hi I just suggested the Paraguard because of the Plecos and thought it could be done in the main tank with the Goldfish.  "If" there is a parasite and he moves the Plecos to a separate tank while treating the Goldfish with salt and then brings them back after treatment, isn't there a risk of reintroducing the parasite? Shouldn't he also treat the Plecos (maybe with Paraguard) in the other tank)?

I am trying Paraguard for the first time this week on both of my Goldfish tanks after talking extensively with Seachem about the safety of the product with Goldfish, Plecos and plants.  I started with a 1/4 dose yesterday and then a half dose today and so far the cycle and the fish are behaving normally.  I will add the full dose tomorrow and see how it goes, but so far so good.  I'm glad you are happy with Paraguard, Taryl, and will post my results in case you want DP to go that route later :)

Edited by Jared

I'd rather not use the paraguard at this moment - just the salt and good water. If this does turn out to be parasitic we will remove the salt from the main tank, return the plecos, and then do salt dips on the goldfish in addition to paraguard treatment on the whole tank.

If spreading infection back and forth is a concern we can certainly treat rhe plecos separately, but I'm not sure this is parasitic yet and don't want to treat fish showing signs of stress with few other symptoms like they have parasites we haven't confirmed.

If either the pleco tank or the goldfish tank shows issues we can work from there. Otherwise I'm going more conservatively at this moment, unless symptoms dictate otherwise. Clear as mud?

Edited by Arctic Mama

That sounds like a plan.  What do you think the white cysts are?

Just little cysts like the equivalent of a viral rash in a human. Low grade irritation and the body responding to it. It could be bacterial or parasitic, but it's one of many stress symptoms and until I have more information from how things progress I want to hold off treatment with chemicals. A week should be sufficient to either improve the current symptoms or create some new ones if the fish don't begin to heal themselves.

Just little cysts like the equivalent of a viral rash in a human. Low grade irritation and the body responding to it. It could be bacterial or parasitic, but it's one of many stress symptoms and until I have more information from how things progress I want to hold off treatment with chemicals. A week should be sufficient to either improve the current symptoms or create some new ones if the fish don't begin to heal themselves.

Yeah, they may be fine once their immune systems snap back :idont

Edited by Jared

Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate it.

Hey Jason, how do you do water changes? 

If you don't already use a pump to drain, maybe it's something to think about. Sure you have to actually get stuff started and sometimes even that just doesn't happen, but it probably requires the least amount of effort. :idont

Just think about it.... toss it in, turn it on, sit on the couch and have a beer. look over a couple times, and refill it however you want. 

I used a syphon maybe three times on my 125 before I gave up and started doing it this way. It still takes a while, but you don't have to be babysitting every second and you can choose to scrub stuff or do absolutely nothing. :thumbs:

Filled 40b, moved over plecos caves, moved over plecos, moved over all plants, tank has Aqueon 55/75 filter on it.

Did a 50% change on the 125, set 2 heaters to 79, added 2 cups dissolved canning salt. Tank has 2 Fluval 405's on it.

If you don't already use a pump to drain, maybe it's something to think about. Sure you have to actually get stuff started and sometimes even that just doesn't happen, but it probably requires the least amount of effort. :idont

Just think about it.... toss it in, turn it on, sit on the couch and have a beer. look over a couple times, and refill it however you want. 

I used a syphon maybe three times on my 125 before I gave up and started doing it this way. It still takes a while, but you don't have to be babysitting every second and you can choose to scrub stuff or do absolutely nothing. :thumbs:

Aqueon siphon. When my add kicks in I overflow the tank ugh haha!

How are they? Anybody turned over or seeming better yet?

How are they? Anybody turned over or seeming better yet?

I did the work this morning and then headed to work so I have not bad any time to observe them. They were fairly active during the water change.

Aqueon siphon. When my add kicks in I overflow the tank ugh haha!

:rofl Been there, except all the times I overflowed it, I had my arms in the tank fiddling with filters or plants. :doh11: 

Added another 2 cups. Using Shakahos 75% number due to using canning salt it would be 5.81 cups. I have 1.25 cups left which will be 5.25 total at the end of the day tomorrow. Then I need to buy another box of salt.

Salting large tanks is definitely a chore :rofl

If I had to salt a ginormous tank, I'd probably head down to the farmers market and get a giant thing of canning/pickling salt. I think Costco also sells Kosher salt in giant amounts too.

Edited by mjfromga

Great idea. Fortunately salt is cheap.

Solar salt in 40lb bag is even cheaper.

A kitchen/gram scale makes it even easier.

It's the hassle of getting it all dissolves when it's cups and cups, without hearing the tank water too much!

When salting my big tank (158g) I put the salt in a net and secure it on the tank so the net of salt is hanging in there disolving at its on pace.

Total 6 cups in now. I'm leaving in the morning and get home Sunday night. Hoping they're all better then!

When salting my big tank (158g) I put the salt in a net and secure it on the tank so the net of salt is hanging in there disolving at its on pace.

I'll do that the first time but with a water change it shocks the fish to jump from .3% salt back down to about .05% as the salt dissolves again. To keep that bump from happening it works better to dissolve the salt in another bucket of water first and add that in with the water pumping in from the python, at least for me :). Otherwise every time I do a water change I'm throwing about varying salinities unnecessarily and for sick, stressed animals it's a bad idea if it can be avoided. But it's kind of a pain when you're trying to get so much salt to dissolve in a timely fashion :lol:

Let us know how things are when you return, DP.

Thats true I never thought of that! In my QT I have everything dissolved before I put the fish back in but didn't think of that issue with my main tank!

Edited by FishyMandy

Woke up to find tail of Oranda with black ring around the edge. No time to test water as had to be at work. ce0b1367f3417fa568281e1bdb5f55c8.jpg

No improvement among other fish.