Need help. All fish upside down.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) Between 0 and .25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 8.2 kh and gh very high
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.4 kh and gh very high.  well water, no chloramines
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop
      • * Water temperature? Room temp 69 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 gallon 2 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Fluval 405 Large. Aqueon 55/75 pretty large
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 75% every two weeks normally
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1 week
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 large, 4 medium
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? none
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? mix of hikari lionhead, NLS, Omega One twice per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? 2 rounds prazi pro
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. no salt, 2 rounds prazi 1 year ago.  2 rounds recently
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? tail has many white spots that when touches are visibly hard. 2 piece of long tail fell off
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting. Upside down. decreased appetite but still eating

Hi so I am still having trouble with my fish.  I would say all 4 goldfish are not doing well but the 2 bristlenose plecos seem fine.  The fish spend most of their time upside down huddled together in a corner. They will eat but not as much as usual.  THere are a lot of white spots on beefcakes tail.  There will be pictures in the next post.  The other fish have some white spots as well but less. They are noticeable to the touch. Hard spots.  I was gone 4 days in a row and when I was gone, to pieces of beefcakes long tail had fallen off!  ANy ideas?

66d59184ed838962b045f3f4f4f454c4.jpg6f1219703bb030b44c976ac8dd8ddebc.jpg59f7285e90a6b8517e93b7f59bccdac6.jpgfe579fe383d985204f83cb08a8f829cf.jpg5c214ac3db336784d98df41145837f98.jpg1f129d79e6c70a1fc0f010661a2e7db0.jpg

Yikes! I've only had a group of fish do that with nitrate poisoning, but yours aren't ridiculously high. Let me poke the mods and helpers and see what we can brainstorm.

Wow! The last photo. I've never seen anything like it. Kinda sad :( I hope someone comes along to help.

My nitrate level *was* shockingly high about a week ago. I guess I will just say I have had a lot going on and had missed one of my biweekly changes which means the tank went a month with no water change. I have trouble differentiating the reds but based on the number after a medium sized change the level had to be 80 to 100.

I just threw in some Hikari Lionhead and they all went after it pretty hard. They can swim around upright but then go back upside down while chewing.

My nitrate level *was* shockingly high about a week ago. I guess I will just say I have had a lot going on and had missed one of my biweekly changes which means the tank went a month with no water change. I have trouble differentiating the reds but based on the number after a medium sized change the level had to be 80 to 100.

Oh, ouch. That probably explains it then. Things happen, I guess. Hoping your buddies are able to recover and things settle down for you. :)

The water has been very clean for 1 week.

I felt so bad for you that I had to comment :yikes  I agree with Taryl that high Nitrates would explain the flipping over.  This may have impacted their swim bladder function as well as weakened their immune systems.  The hard cysts make me think that a normally benign parasite has taken advantage of their compromised immune status.  There may also be a secondary bacterial infection which could be the cause of the fins falling apart.  Clean water was the best medicine you could begin with, so that's a good start.  I would up the frequency of your water changes if possible.  It may also be necessary to use a treatment such as Paraguard if the clean water alone doesn't do the job.  Salt is probably not an option because of the Plecos.  Let's see what the mods think :idont

Edited by Jared

It may not be a bad idea to fast them for a couple of days.  I can't imagine that they are all constipated, but it may help as well as keep the Nitrate levels down while they recover.

Edited by Jared

is this the tank with the sweet potatoes?

Good question! Perhaps there were pesticides or something on them. I did carefully wash mine and my fish seem perfectly fine, but it is something to consider. There's nothing I can see about them being poison for the fish, but if that's the case... I'd love to know so my fish don't end up like this. Its very upsetting to see :(

Yes it is the tank with the potatoes. I have considered them to be the problem or part of the problem but inhave been having issues with the fish since before the potatoes went in. I can remove them and see what happens.

In the last picture of your first post, the fish appear to be in a tank smaller than 125 gallons.  Have you moved them to a hospital tank, or is it just me? 

In the last picture of your first post, the fish appear to be in a tank smaller than 125 gallons.  Have you moved them to a hospital tank, or is it just me? 

That's the 125. The only reason I've moved them lately is to put them in a bowl to take pictures briefly.

I can relocate the plecos if need be. I have 4 spare aquariums ranging in size up to 40 gallon.

Why did you opt for 75% water changes every two weeks rather than 50% weekly?

Why did you opt for 75% water changes every two weeks rather than 50% weekly?

It is not uncommon for me to work 7 days a week. Basically time and laziness. Mostly laziness.

Okay DP, I'll leave you to hash out the potato thing with Helen and Sharon as to their suitability in the tank and possible leeching issues.

Jared and I are on the same page - move the plecs and increase the salinity in the tank, as well as the temperature, over the next few days. I'd like you to get up to 78 degrees and .3% salinity. If this is parasitic we want to speed up the life cycle, and if it is a disease (viral or bacterial, in this case) the symptoms should become more obvious over the coming week and give us an avenue of treatment.

Check in with us after 1 week of salt and impeccable water quality - no laziness please, but partial changes of 25% every few days at a minimum. I know you're busy but I want to eliminate issues with the nitrates and decomposing organic matter as an issue in the equation and to keep the stress on their immune systems as low as possible. It may well be that we need a round of metro or paraguard (I've been super happy with how well the latter works, it's great stuff to have on hand) but at present we will just stick with salt, heat, and time.

Any questions?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Ok I can do that. I will Google search the amount of salt i need unless someone wants to tell me :)

.3% means 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. .2 means 2 teaspoons per gallon. .1 means one teaspoon per gallon. She said to do it gradually so I'd start at the lowest and work up over the next few days :)

Edited by mjfromga

.3% means 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. .2 means 2 teaspoons per gallon. .1 means one teaspoon per gallon. She said to do it gradually so I'd start at the lowest and work up over the next few days :)

Awesome thank you

375 teaspoons! Lol!

I wish your buddies luck. These fish are resilient, you'll be surprised by them.

Oh, wow! I forgot your tank was huge. Maybe a moderator would like you to move the fish to a smaller one!

375 t =125 T= 7.8125 Cups = 7 3/4 C+1T

That's for aquarium salt.  If you use something fine like canning salt you use 3/4 of that.

Usually you add 1 teaspoon per gallon (0.1%), wait 12 hours then again add 1 teaspoon per gallon (0.2%) wait another 12 hours and add the final teaspoon per gallon (0.3%). 

You don't have to google, just look here.

Edited by shakaho